GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MIB2 Infotainment HELP

jswihart

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI 6MT
My 2017 Autobahn Infotainment just pooped out on me after owning the car two weeks I have read online I can should get a 2016 infotainment head unit as they are made and Germany compared to the 2017's(Delphin) which were made in Portugal. I have nav, back up camera, and Carplay. What would be the part number of a 2016(TechniSat) unit that would support my features?

Thanks in advance

jswihart

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI 6MT
I bought a used unit off ebay.
Almost Identical part numbers - 3Q0035876A (Old Dephin) to 3Q0035876 (New Technisat)
Does anyone know if I can take the old unit out myself and plug the new one in? Will that cause any problems? The install at dealer will be about 170 and if all it is is just taking old out and plugging new one in, then I should just do that before I take it in to get programmed for my specific car, right?

Would really like some advice as I've never dealt with the infotainment system before and don't want to get screwed by the dealership.

Thanks

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Is your radio not still covered under warranty on a 2017? I have a 2015 (MIB I) but I remember reading about recall/software update/potential replacement of faulty MIB II units in later Mk7s. If you're set on installing another unit...

The physical replacement takes about 5 minutes, just need radio removal keys. They can be had on eBay/Amazon for $5 or from your local Best Buy or similar for a little more probably. A car stereo shop will might pull it for free also.

The dealership is charging you to remove component protection, which will kick in when the radio sees that it's installed in a different car (VIN based) and disables sound. They will also have to re-activate the features your car came with on the new radio.

I don't know what your dealer's labor rate or experience with this is but I would guess they're quoting you two hours. How are they breaking that down?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

jswihart

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI 6MT
My car has 56k miles on it, it was previously a major highway cruiser, so it is out of the 36k mile warranty. I bought keys on amazon today and they should be in Monday so I can pull it myself. If I can pull the old one and put the new one in to save 150 and not cause any harm, then I will definitely do that.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Ahhh, so your radio wont be covered under warranty, but verify no recalls apply. If they do you should be covered.

You will still have to get the dealer to remove component protection and re-activate your features (app connect, hands free calling, voice control, nav...). Component protection is an anti-theft measure. The dealer may also have to do some coding depending on if your car has matching audio (Fender or base).

All of the features previously active on the car your new unit came from may work for a couple power-ups (letting you know the radio is functional) but then protection will kick in and you will not have sound.

If part of the dealer's estimate was for physically removing the radio then doing that part yourself is the right call. I suspect it's all for the software side though which is absolutely required.

jswihart

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI 6MT
Ahhh, so your radio wont be covered under warranty, but verify no recalls apply. If they do you should be covered.

You will still have to get the dealer to remove component protection and re-activate your features (app connect, hands free calling, voice control, nav...). Component protection is an anti-theft measure. The dealer may also have to do some coding depending on if your car has matching audio (Fender or base).

All of the features previously active on the car your new unit came from may work for a couple power-ups (letting you know the radio is functional) but then protection will kick in and you will not have sound.

If part of the dealer's estimate was for physically removing the radio then doing that part yourself is the right call. I suspect it's all for the software side though which is absolutely required.

The service guy told me about 160 for install plus programming. My car has app connect, nav, back up camera, basically everything. If they do not need to mess with my old unit at all, then I will go ahead and remove and install the other myself. The car the new unit came from was a 2016 golf r, so I have high hopes that it had all the same features and fender stereo system my car has.

jswihart

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI 6MT
Is your radio not still covered under warranty on a 2017? I have a 2015 (MIB I) but I remember reading about recall/software update/potential replacement of faulty MIB II units in later Mk7s. If you're set on installing another unit...

The physical replacement takes about 5 minutes, just need radio removal keys. They can be had on eBay/Amazon for $5 or from your local Best Buy or similar for a little more probably. A car stereo shop will might pull it for free also.

The dealership is charging you to remove component protection, which will kick in when the radio sees that it's installed in a different car (VIN based) and disables sound. They will also have to re-activate the features your car came with on the new radio.

I don't know what your dealer's labor rate or experience with this is but I would guess they're quoting you two hours. How are they breaking that down?

I did what you said and installed texhnisat unit (3Q0035876) myself. I installed the Technisat one and then took to dealer for programming. They got it unlocked, but the nav does not work. The unit has/had nav, will it not work with my SD card from my old unit? Will i have to get a new SD card made for the VIN the Technisat unit came out of? Also the app conect is saying it needs a code to work. Where and how do I get one? The dealer acted like they had no clue what was going on with that. Also I can not access blutooth. Keep in mind that the unit is playing radio and everything works accept those things. Any and all help appreciated.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
If your car doesn't have all of the features activated that it had before you changed radios than the dealer hasn't finished their job. In my opinion finishing it should not cost you any more money but that is a discussion between you and them.

The first thing that dealer has to do, which they did for you is remove component protection. That gave you your sound back.

The next thing they have to do (which they haven't, yet) is run through there ODIS guided fault finder. This is the tool VW uses when troubleshooting your car that is connected to their Global database. When they run this the system should pull the codes for all features that your car came with. This will enable those features on your new radio.

The code that app-connect is asking for is one of the codes that will be pulled from their system. Bluetooth has it's own code, as does Navigation.

Background info (summarized from another post that I'll find the link to and add here):
Each of these is a FEC (Feature Activation Code) and they control what is enabled on a radio once installed in a specific vehicle (VIN based). Not so much in North America where we have less options but in the rest of the world you can choose the radio features that you want when orderinh your car. Using FECs means that VW does not have to manufacture 30 different radios. They manufacturer a few radios and enable/disable features in the software based on how the car is speced out.

jswihart

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI 6MT
If your car doesn't have all of the features activated that it had before you changed radios than the dealer hasn't finished their job. In my opinion finishing it should not cost you any more money but that is a discussion between you and them.

The first thing that dealer has to do, which they did for you is remove component protection. That gave you your sound back.

The next thing they have to do (which they haven't, yet) is run through there ODIS guided fault finder. This is the tool VW uses when troubleshooting your car that is connected to their Global database. When they run this the system should pull the codes for all features that your car came with. This will enable those features on your new radio.

The code that app-connect is asking for is one of the codes that will be pulled from their system. Bluetooth has it's own code, as does Navigation.

Background info (summarized from another post that I'll find the link to and add here):
Each of these is a FEC (Feature Activation Code) and they control what is enabled on a radio once installed in a specific vehicle (VIN based). Not so much in North America where we have less options but in the rest of the world you can choose the radio features that you want when orderinh your car. Using FECs means that VW does not have to manufacture 30 different radios. They manufacturer a few radios and enable/disable features in the software based on how the car is speced out.

None of those guys had a clue what I was talking about when I brought up app connect. Now sense I removed my old unit, should I put it back in, take it to them and show them I actually had all the options on my old unit? Even though I bought a used unit, I feel I should have the same features that my car (VIN) came with.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
When they put in your VIN they should be able to see everything your car came with. You could put your old unit in and let them see it.

Ask them to connect to ODIS (which I believe they had to do to remove component protection anyway) and run the fault finder. The system troubleshoots in a way that they don't really have to know what is going on, although it obviously helps.

Point them to the first link in George Ab's post. It's the one I was going to post.

Somewhat related I used George Ab's guide to upgrade my MIB I to MIB II. A ton of information there. Although your situation should be much easier since you are staying same generation MIB.

jswihart

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI 6MT

So this ODIS will pull up what my VIN features were, or the features of the used unit i bought? I noticed in the first post he mentions that it will read off the features i have, but is that based off the vehicle or infotainment unit's old car VIN? Sorry for so many questions, I am pretty pissed at the moment and dont want to have to pour a ton of money into a what should have been a smooth transition. Not to mention I do not have money just be pouring in as I am in college working part time.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
It will pull up the codes associated with your VIN. It will see that they are not active in the new unit you have installed and correct that.

jswihart

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI 6MT
It will pull up the codes associated with your VIN. It will see that they are not active in the new unit you have installed and correct that.

Awesome. I will give them a call tomorrow and see what they can do. I will post on here how that goes. :confused: