GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MIB1 sat nav (not pro) with Dynaudio, how to upgrade without needing Component Protection removal on amp??

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
My turn to ask the forum a question.....

(watches as everybody runs & hides after their jaws hit the ground & they ask "golfdave is asking us??...WTF how the hell does he expect us to know, we usually ask him!"....:cool:..

Car has factory MIB1 Discover sat nav, Dynaudio, advance tel prep (USB in front cubby & in cubby under arm rest), rear view camera, front & rear parking sensors.

Basically want a bigger screen, I have a UK firm in mind who can supply me with any MIB unit & screen, with CP removed & fully coded to my car if I send them VCDS admaps etc...but they can't do the CP removal on the amp as apparently it needs to be done with the amp plugged into the car as its on the MOST optical bus...& I am at the other end of the country to them!

I can't really do remote CP removal as where I am I can't get the car near to the router, & wi-fi & mobile signal is intermittent, so old fashioned cables are best for internet!

I have heard that MIB1 will work with MIB1 pro big screen & possibly MIB2 with some VCDS tweeks via the screens green menu...So is a MIB2 or MIB 2.5 head unit & big screen fully compatible with an older MIB1 Dynaudio amp??

any ideas???

Dr.Ed

Passed Driver's Ed
With my MIB1 Discover Pro i wanted to have the 8" glass screen. There's a little convertor on the market that makes this possible. So, no coding/CP removal just remove old screen, place new one and connect converter.

https://www.suwtec.de/Discover-Pro-...ay-Glasbildschirm-VW-Skoda-Seat-Plug-and-Play

I should verify if this converter works in your situation. Works great on the Discover Pro!
radio81.jpeg

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
With my MIB1 Discover Pro i wanted to have the 8" glass screen. There's a little convertor on the market that makes this possible. So, no coding/CP removal just remove old screen, place new one and connect converter.

https://www.suwtec.de/Discover-Pro-...ay-Glasbildschirm-VW-Skoda-Seat-Plug-and-Play

I should verify if this converter works in your situation. Works great on the Discover Pro!
View attachment 180511

Yeah, but I have to upgrade the head unit in glovebox from basic sat nav to "pro" version as well as the screen...& trying to upgrade the HU in glovebox without having to upgrade the Dynaudio amp under the seat as the later ones had a different version.....so its not as easy as you think which is why I posted the question...as upgrading the amp requires on car CP...which as I explained is a no-go.

Dr.Ed

Passed Driver's Ed
From the suwtec website:

"für Discover Media Discover PRO und Composition Media MQB Geräte"

As i read it, it's also possible for the Discover Media, Discover Pro and Composition Media MQB devices. No need to replace brain-unit...

I can confirm this is working (P&P) with the Discover Pro MIB1.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
From the suwtec website:

"für Discover Media Discover PRO und Composition Media MQB Geräte"

As i read it, it's also possible for the Discover Media, Discover Pro and Composition Media MQB devices. No need to replace brain-unit...

I can confirm this is working (P&P) with the Discover Pro MIB1.

It ONLY works with Discover PRO MIB sat nav....it states:-

" Vw Discover Pro MIB1 Skoda Columbus MIB1 Seat Discover Pro MIB1 Scope of delivery: 1x Plug and Play Adapter incl. STG."

The head unit of the non- PRO sat nav is different & will not cope with the screen & resolution of either the glass screen (non PRO or the old PRO screen)....

I have done my research & I have no option but to upgrade my HU to get a bigger sat nav screen as mine was NOT a PRO sat nav so came with a smaller screen, & HU which will not cope with a bigger PRO screen.

simaservis1108

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Seat Leon 5F FR
If you need help with CP and activation of functions after retrofit,
Let me know in PM :)

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD

View attachment 180511
I really want to do this to mine (I’m doing the MIB1 Composition to MIB2 Discover upgrade - with existing Dynaudio) but struggling to know what’s actually needed (getting conflicting information everywhere) and not sure I can cope with not being able to get the textured trim to go around it if I fit that screen!

Dr.Ed

Passed Driver's Ed
The 8" glass screen is plug&play for the Mib2 Discover Pro. You don't need any converter. Just find out if your Dynaudio amp is upgradable to your Mib2.

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
The 8" glass screen is plug&play for the Mib2 Discover Pro. You don't need any converter. Just find out if your Dynaudio amp is upgradable to your Mib2.
This is where I’m getting conflicting info. Some say the MIB1 amp works, some (including the guy from VW Retrofit I spoke to yesterday) say it can’t.

But I’ve seen people here saying that it can be recorded to work with it - so I don’t know what to believe!

MIB2 with Discover Media display would be fine but I do wonder if I’d regret not springing for the 2.5 (if I’m going to do all the work anyway) if it means getting wireless CarPlay (which is why I wanted to do it it in the first place).

I could do the Discover Nav unit from VW Retrofit for £650 but I’d need to find the amp to go with it. They don’t seem to be available at the moment.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
For MIB 2 - 6.5" matte screen, 8" matte screen, or 8" glass screen
- Big change over MIB I is app-connect support, and speed
- Can be non-nav, nav, or Discover Pro (maps stored internally, can show map in the AID and on main screen at the same time, can play DVD's)
- There are various part numbers with different buttons (mute, band, radio, nav, app etc...). In any case, these screens are all plug and play for MIB II, with or without nav. If you have nav with a screen that doesn't have a nav button you will have to select menu then choose nav. If you don't have nav but have a screen with a nav button that button will have no function.

For MIB 2.5 - 9.2" glass screen (all touch)
- Biggest change is probably the screen, including multi-touch support/speed on the nav maps
- MIB 2.5 units are Discover Pro only, and the 9.2" glass screen is not plug and play with MIB 2 units
- MIB 2.5 does not have wireless app-connect

For MIB 3 - I believe these are 8" glass screens (don't know if they are the same ones from MIB 2 though)
- I assume there are different levels (non nav, nav, Pro etc... but I have not found much info)
- Wireless app-connect is supported, USB-C ports, OTA update support
- Have not seen a retrofit of MIB 3 yet, though I trust it will happen at some point

My journey on a 2015 Golf TDI: MIB I (non-nav, 5.8" matte) > MIB II (non-nav, 6.5" matte) > MIB II (nav, 8" matte) > 8" glass > MIB 2.5 (Disco Pro, 9.2" glass)

There is the adapter mentioned above to use MIB II screens on an MIB I unit (need to check their product page for limitations). And I have seen posts that it is possible to use the 9.2" screen on MIB II but it requires some reformatting/wizardry that is well beyond me. The 9.2" screen isn't a particularly popular upgrade anyway as folks don't like the lack of physical buttons.

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
For MIB 2 - 6.5" matte screen, 8" matte screen, or 8" glass screen
- Big change over MIB I is app-connect support, and speed
- Can be non-nav, nav, or Discover Pro (maps stored internally, can show map in the AID and on main screen at the same time, can play DVD's)
- There are various part numbers with different buttons (mute, band, radio, nav, app etc...). In any case, these screens are all plug and play for MIB II, with or without nav. If you have nav with a screen that doesn't have a nav button you will have to select menu then choose nav. If you don't have nav but have a screen with a nav button that button will have no function.

For MIB 2.5 - 9.2" glass screen (all touch)
- Biggest change is probably the screen, including multi-touch support/speed on the nav maps
- MIB 2.5 units are Discover Pro only, and the 9.2" glass screen is not plug and play with MIB 2 units
- MIB 2.5 does not have wireless app-connect

For MIB 3 - I believe these are 8" glass screens (don't know if they are the same ones from MIB 2 though)
- I assume there are different levels (non nav, nav, Pro etc... but I have not found much info)
- Wireless app-connect is supported, USB-C ports, OTA update support
- Have not seen a retrofit of MIB 3 yet, though I trust it will happen at some point

My journey on a 2015 Golf TDI: MIB I (non-nav, 5.8" matte) > MIB II (non-nav, 6.5" matte) > MIB II (nav, 8" matte) > 8" glass > MIB 2.5 (Disco Pro, 9.2" glass)

There is the adapter mentioned above to use MIB II screens on an MIB I unit (need to check their product page for limitations). And I have seen posts that it is possible to use the 9.2" screen on MIB II but it requires some reformatting/wizardry that is well beyond me. The 9.2" screen isn't a particularly popular upgrade anyway as folks don't like the lack of physical buttons.

Thanks for this, it's really helpful! I did know the MIB2/2.5 wasn't wireless; this is all new to me and I've immersed myself in so much information really rapidly so I've kinda gotten confused as to what's what!

I'm going to go for the Pro, I think - it makes sense to do it once and do it right. I'd like to get wireless but tbh, I can live without that luxury for now...

I guess what I want/need to know next is:
  • Is there an "ideal" place I should look first, to get the components from? Or is it just a case of periodically checking eBay for them?
    • I've found a few suppliers online - one guy wouldn't sell me the set because I wanted to fit them myself (I'm in Aberdeen, he's in Plymouth) and have the car coded. He said he wouldn't warrant the parts.
    • The second was near Manchester and he had a set for £850 (Discover Pro) but told me I had to get the amplifier as the MIB1 Dynaudio amp doesn't work ("I've been doing this for 12 years, I can tell you - this doesn't work") and he also said the OBD11 I had wouldn't do the coding needed - I think he was just being a tw*t tbh. He also told me that if I gave him the wrong feature list for the car, I could end up missing some extras when it arrives - because I didn't have a Ross Tech cable. He's obviously forgetting about the sticker on the car that lists all of these...
  • If I get one, can the OBD11 Pro device I have do the long-coding on the car that's required? I would assume that it can?
  • Can anyone say, definitively, that the MIB1 Dynaudio amp does actually work with the MIB2? Is it a total ball ache to get it to work?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
The thread you want to reference is here on this forum. The OP keeps it updated with new info and community knowledge. You basically have two overall options when it comes to the main unit. For the screen it doesn't matter where you get it, as long as you get the right screen for the system (MIB I, MIB II, or MIB 2.5).

1) You can buy a used main unit (from wherever you want, no "ideal" place really but I generally check forums then eBay). You would then have the activations/component protection/coding done remotely... reach out to @simaservis1108 or @doctor (I've had work done by both, zero complaints in either case). You will need a clone VAS 5054a and D-Link Dub-e100. This is my preferred route, as in my case this was the only way to end up with a unit that had no faults and did not have to be "hidden" from scans.

2) You can buy a plug & play unit. These come from vendors like APG Poland and Eurozone Tuning (in the US). They are also available from several sellers on eBay (the person you were dealing with in Manchester probably falls into this category). The vendors/sellers modify the software so the unit ignores component protection; that's the plug & play aspect. They may also ask for the options your car has so they can setup the coding/adaptations as needed. These units be "hidden" from scan tools, which protects from a dealer (or you) attempting to update the unit which could brick it due to the modified software. In my experience with an APG Poland plug & play unit it was possible to make the unit "show up in scans for the next few power-ons" which would allow me to make coding changes.

The second option is not my preference as I want to be able to code and I don't like seeing faults (or having the unit hidden from scans). The second option is more convenient, and thus generally more expensive. You can do long coding with OBDEleven, OBDEleven Pro, or VCDS. For "reasons" I only use VCDS now but I do have OBDEleven and it works for what you would need. I cannot say for sure that you'll be able to code a plug & play unit, depends on how it was modified. The person in Manchester might be a tw*t, haha. But they might also be right that if you don't tell them all the options of your car you may not be able to go in and adjust the coding to get everything working.

I don't know the difference between the Dynaudio and Fender amps so I can't give you a definite answer unfortunately... but the MIB I Fender amp can for sure be coded to work with MIB II. This was figured out sometime after people first started these retrofits but the OP of the thread mentioned earlier added it.

Discover Pro is nice in being able to show factory maps in the dash and on the main screen (although I rarely do this, my usual is factory maps in the dash and app-connect on the main). Factory maps being stored on the unit (not requiring a SD card inserted) is nice if you keep two SD cards of music with you. Being able to rip CD's is okay I guess. Being able to watch DVD's has actually been nice though.

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
The thread you want to reference is here on this forum. The OP keeps it updated with new info and community knowledge. You basically have two overall options when it comes to the main unit. For the screen it doesn't matter where you get it, as long as you get the right screen for the system (MIB I, MIB II, or MIB 2.5).

1) You can buy a used main unit (from wherever you want, no "ideal" place really but I generally check forums then eBay). You would then have the activations/component protection/coding done remotely... reach out to @simaservis1108 or @doctor (I've had work done by both, zero complaints in either case). You will need a clone VAS 5054a and D-Link Dub-e100. This is my preferred route, as in my case this was the only way to end up with a unit that had no faults and did not have to be "hidden" from scans.

2) You can buy a plug & play unit. These come from vendors like APG Poland and Eurozone Tuning (in the US). They are also available from several sellers on eBay (the person you were dealing with in Manchester probably falls into this category). The vendors/sellers modify the software so the unit ignores component protection; that's the plug & play aspect. They may also ask for the options your car has so they can setup the coding/adaptations as needed. These units be "hidden" from scan tools, which protects from a dealer (or you) attempting to update the unit which could brick it due to the modified software. In my experience with an APG Poland plug & play unit it was possible to make the unit "show up in scans for the next few power-ons" which would allow me to make coding changes.

The second option is not my preference as I want to be able to code and I don't like seeing faults (or having the unit hidden from scans). The second option is more convenient, and thus generally more expensive. You can do long coding with OBDEleven, OBDEleven Pro, or VCDS. For "reasons" I only use VCDS now but I do have OBDEleven and it works for what you would need. I cannot say for sure that you'll be able to code a plug & play unit, depends on how it was modified. The person in Manchester might be a tw*t, haha. But they might also be right that if you don't tell them all the options of your car you may not be able to go in and adjust the coding to get everything working.

I don't know the difference between the Dynaudio and Fender amps so I can't give you a definite answer unfortunately... but the MIB I Fender amp can for sure be coded to work with MIB II. This was figured out sometime after people first started these retrofits but the OP of the thread mentioned earlier added it.

Discover Pro is nice in being able to show factory maps in the dash and on the main screen (although I rarely do this, my usual is factory maps in the dash and app-connect on the main). Factory maps being stored on the unit (not requiring a SD card inserted) is nice if you keep two SD cards of music with you. Being able to rip CD's is okay I guess. Being able to watch DVD's has actually been nice though.
I've seen that thread - it was what started the whole...obsession! 🤣🤣

You've kinda accidentally answered the second question I had for you - which one was the most "stock" (I can't think of a better word for it) of the two routes. I don't like the idea of it being in there unofficially - I realise it is, whatever way you slice it, but I don't want to conceal it; I'd rather integrate it with the vehicle fully so it's as if it's been there, all along.

From what you're saying though, as I suspected, it looks as if I can use my OBD11 to make the changes to the unit once it's fitted? Will that also allow me to apply FECs to it so I can apply CarPlay and would I also be able to code further retrofits (I'm considering adding the highline reversing camera and perhaps the front camera for lane detection - if it works with my car) with it, if I opted for the second route?

I've reached out to the two of them to ask how they work - I don't have a Windows machine so this could be dead before it starts. My Dad has an old HP Netbook kicking around that I could potentially use, if I can find it... That's only an option if I manage to get this done before I go back down the road again though - otherwise I could be goosed! 😅

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
The first option is the most "stock" for sure. You cannot apply FECs with the common coding tools (OBDEleven, VCDS). That's where the remote coders come in. If you're going with the first option you will need component protection taken care of which will have to be done remotely as well. Technically a dealer could take care of component protection but since they cannot do FECs you may as well have all of it done remotely.

If you go the first route you can always go in and adjust long coding/adaptations as needed for future retrofits. If you go the second route it just depends on how the unit was modified. I know with APG units you can set it to be open for coding for the next several power-ups. It sounded like that would not be the case with the person you were speaking to from Manchester.

There's a long thread about the high line reversing camera. I'm certainly not one to shy away from retrofits but I would skip the high line and just go with standard. Even the OP of that thread ultimately said it wasn't worth the trouble, and plenty of people have come after him that never got it working. Many end up coding it as a low line.

As for Lane assist camera retrofit I'm sure it's possible just remember you might need other things as well. First thing that comes to mind is a high line gateway since you need extended CAN. You might also need ACC but I'm not sure about that one. I know you can have ACC without the front camera (I do right now) but I have not seen anyone with the lane assist front camera and without ACC.

sema2022

Car(s)
VW eGolf 2018
HI, di you get a solution for using the MIB1 related Dynaudio amplifier with the retrofited MIB2.5 unit? I have replaced my eGolf 2015 MIB1 with MIB2.5 and 9.2" screen and removed CP. Everything is working except there is no sound or Most contact with the Dynaudio amp. I have tried different changes i 5F and 47 modules in VCDS without any luck.