GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MFD digital speed?

Ian2

Passed Driver's Ed
Only had my GTi a few days now and I'm loving it! Just a quick question though, can I set the small mfd screen in the instrument cluster to display the current speed at all? Apologies if this has been answered before, I've tried a quick google and could only really find answers for the mk6. Cheers!

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
You can set which MFD display should appear in
the instrument cluster using the "CAR" button and the
"settings" and [Multifunction display) function buttons in the infotainment
system.

Then when you scroll using the right rocker on the steering wheel to "Driving data" you can scroll up/down to show the current speed.

jimma_uk

Ready to race!
I can't say I have ever really understood the point of that display option. After all, you have a chuffing big speedo about 2cm next to it.

mrlapou

Ready to race!
Since having a digital speed read out in various cars, I'd hate to be without it. In these days, cannot understand why the 'chuffing big speedo' still carries on.
Check out the new Passat's 12" colour instrument screen... that's the way to go, with options of what and how info is displayed.

Essjay

Ready to race!
Very rarely use the "chuffing big speedo" now, as it's so much easier to glance at the big digits in the MFD. I've also had digital speedos before (Honda), and just got used to it.

Stripey

Ready to race!
Since having a digital speed read out in various cars, I'd hate to be without it. In these days, cannot understand why the 'chuffing big speedo' still carries on.

True, but since it is there, it does rather make a digital speed reading (right next to it) a bit pointless. To me, it's not the fact that one is digital and one is a dial, it's the fact that they display the same info that makes it pointless. There's not 2 of everything else for a reason! Still, personal preference and all that.

Personally I have mine on average mpg, my Mrs has hers on range and a mate has his on journey time.

Ian2

Passed Driver's Ed
I've had a little play and found it..after spending a little time with the car I realised the up/down arrows on the right of the steering wheel are for scrolling through the mfd and not for skipping tracks...silly me...now I'm off to the shops to buy some milk, any excuse to go for a drive!

psquared2

Ready to race!
I find it easier to read the digital one than the analogue so mine is always on as well.
I agree, easier and more importantly quicker to get a precise read out than the big dial cluttered with lots of relatively small numbers.

jimma_uk

Ready to race!
It seems like it is now officially called a "chuffing big speedo" on the forum :)

I would be happy with a digital display instead of an analogue gauge, but my point was why display it twice. I use the MFD for the navigation display or Average Fuel Consumption. But each to their own, I guess that's why we have the option.

mrlapou

Ready to race!
Torque App can also display speed, but it seems to be 0.3% lower.
It' s prob because it displays real speed.

matchbox

Passed Driver's Ed
There are advantages to an analogue display. To use a watch analogy, a glance at an analogue watch tells one it is nearly, say, 10.50 which is all one needs to know. Not that it is 10.46! Near enough is good enough. Similarly with speed, knowing you are approaching 70mph(somewhere between 60 & 70) is sufficient and much easier to assimilate than having to read(and focus)on a digital display. I like having both/the choice.