GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Metal shavings in oil still present in 17k mile 2018 gti

Dbpgti1

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello. Just did my 3rd oil change at 17k miles and noticed some small metal shavings in the oil. Maybe 4 or 5 small less than 1/2 millimeter pieces. The engine has been burning maybe almost a quart of oil the last 2 oil changes, but this third oil change it hasn’t burned barely any at all. The oil is black. Changed first oil at 5k, 2nd oil change at 11k, and now 17k all using the factory recommended castrol edge 502/504. Car runs smooth and still strong like the first day I bought it. If this is normal, I don’t want to waste my time having the dealer keep the car for a day or so to find out. If it isn’t then I would have them fix the problem through warranty. Thanks guys!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The dealer isn't going to be able to tell you anything by keeping it. They'll look for codes, say it isn't burning oil, and send you on your way. If you're concerned, you can send your used oil for analysis after each oil change. Blackstone is the company, IIRC, that does them. Anyway you look at it, the dealer isn't going to do anything for a car that isn't burning oil, isn't throwing a code, and runs perfectly.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I would also send a sample of used oil to Blackstone for analysis and I would at least show the shavings to your dealer while under warranty so they have a record of it.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I would also send a sample of used oil to Blackstone for analysis and I would at least show the shavings to your dealer while under warranty so they have a record of it.

That's reasonable. I just don't think they're going to care a whole lot.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
And just to be clear, the Blackstone oil analysis should help you determine if what you're seeing were some metal flashing or left from manufacturing process that made their way out or if there is an active source of accelerated wear, like a disintegrating camshaft.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
pics or it didnt happen

OLD MEN RULE

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
4K miles on my 2019 GTI and did an early oil change at < 1K miles and noted some shiny bits in the oil filter pleats.
I will ask the dealer at the first service and see what they say.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
4K miles on my 2019 GTI and did an early oil change at < 1K miles and noted some shiny bits in the oil filter pleats.
I will ask the dealer at the first service and see what they say.

They will tell you it's absolutely normal.

The issue concerning the OP is that it was the third oil change and anything like that should have already worked it's way out.