GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Market adjustment

Buguyed

Ready to race!
Saw this today at the local dealer while getting some service done. Kind of blew me away! Salesmen says this is a rare car and they have to charge this premium. Other dealers in town have dozens listed at sticker. Wild times

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
The good thing about that is it lets the customer know right away exactly what type of dealership you’re dealing with. There are plenty of ethical dealers out there, give them the chance at earning the business.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, stuff like this is, to me, the equivalent of posting a "Get off my lawn" sign on the dealer's front door. See it, run away, fast.

I lust after cars as much as the next enthusiast, but damned if I've ever wanted a car enough to pay a 15% or more premium for it. Even if I had the kind of money that where I could drop fifty large on a whim, the principle is odious.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I would never step into such dealerships. On the other side, dealers markup because someone is willing to pay.

On the other side, maybe the vehicle was airlifted from the factory line to the dealership and it has 1.5 miles on the clock. Someone would pay a premium for it [emoji23]

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
I would never step into such dealerships. On the other side, dealers markup because someone is willing to pay.

On the other side, maybe the vehicle was airlifted from the factory line to the dealership and it has 1.5 miles on the clock. Someone would pay a premium for it [emoji23]

LOL

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I don't how many they're going to send to the US this model year, but I think my year was under 4,800 units. At least now you get every option except for transmission. I had to wait months to get the combination of DSG, DAP and the I wanted. When I looked at how many were made like mine it was under 100 units for the whole country. I was happy to pay only MSRP.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
The good thing about that is it lets the customer know right away exactly what type of dealership you’re dealing with. There are plenty of ethical dealers out there, give them the chance at earning the business.

When the 2015's first came out the dealer I go to for service wanted $4,000 over for a blue one. Even now you can blame VW for letting us have so few.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
When the 2015's first came out the dealer I go to for service wanted $4,000 over for a blue one. Even now you can blame VW for letting us have so few.

Ya, vw forces a higher demand by limiting supply, but adm’s are sleazy dealership tactics, and I don’t mean all dealers are sleazy, I mean the ones who do that show you right away that they are sleazy and should be avoided. They figure, that there is an ass for every seat. A smart dealer realizes it costs them more money in customers lost, lost possible return business and loss of referrals than the big hitter they might make on the one sale. I’ve bought many new cars throughout my life and make a point to avoid any dealer I’ve ever seen trying to charge an adm, even if it was on something I wasn’t interested in purchasing, and I know I can’t be the only one. The sad thing is manufacturers cannot stop it either, the adm is completely a scumbag dealer tactic preying on the stupid or impatient.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
This is what auto dealers have done for decades if not forever (I wasn't around in the 1930s...) All popular or limited quantity cars are marked up so no one here should be shocked at all. At $40k for the R, I can't imagine everyone here is a 20 year old noob (what 20 year old can afford a $40k car???) so the older buyers certainly know this already.

Doesn't mean we can't complain about it though! :)