Votes: 7 43.8%
  • DIY spark plug defouler

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
Having spent at least an hour in the spacer thread and feeling no closer to an actual answer, I thought I'd put this up. It seems like every downpipe has a few different solutions, some that one person will swear by, the next says didn't work for them.

I have a catted (non-GESI), resonated MAP downpipe. For those with the same downpipe who have used some sort of spacer to eliminate the CEL, what solution worked?

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
I have a tune that eliminates it but I need to pass emissions in a month or so.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Holy crap perfect timing. I need to pass 2 days ago, lol. Vibrant J spacer sitting in the mailbox now. Hopefully I'll know this weekend, since we have the exact same downpipe.

Ps. Guessing I'll need to flash to stage 1 or stock, at least for a little while, to set readiness.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

miked617

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
21 VW GTI
I have the map non gesi. None of the spacers worked so i went to an exhaust shop and they basically installed what appeared to be 2 antifoulers. Havent had a code since and the car achieved readiness before i went stage 2.

So in august i plan to flash back to stock and get a sticker after hopefully achieving readiness again.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
I have the map non gesi. None of the spacers worked so i went to an exhaust shop and they basically installed what appeared to be 2 antifoulers. Havent had a code since and the car achieved readiness before i went stage 2.

So in august i plan to flash back to stock and get a sticker after hopefully achieving readiness again.
Sounds like a solid plan B. How much did they charge, if you don't mind me asking?

Plan C will be swapping the oem downpipe back in...but I'm not a great mechanic, and the pp differential had me making up curse words when trying to remove the oem pipe.

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
I have the Vibrant J, medium spacer. I flashed back to the stock sim map. Readiness set in about 50-100 miles for all except exhaust gas recirculating system (i can pass with one not ready). Gave me about 300-500miles before CEL popped. Got my emissions testing during this time

miked617

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
21 VW GTI
Sounds like a solid plan B. How much did they charge, if you don't mind me asking?

Plan C will be swapping the oem downpipe back in...but I'm not a great mechanic, and the pp differential had me making up curse words when trying to remove the oem pipe.

I think it was like $60 or so....they had them laying around.

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
My assumption regarding tunes that eliminate the CEL was that it just hides it, not that it forces readiness. Is that incorrect?

miked617

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
21 VW GTI
No thats correct. Thats why most have to flash back to stock tune to pass. Thats why i wanted to ensure i could achieve readiness before tuning.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
I have the Vibrant J, medium spacer. I flashed back to the stock sim map. Readiness set in about 50-100 miles for all except exhaust gas recirculating system (i can pass with one not ready). Gave me about 300-500miles before CEL popped. Got my emissions testing during this time

I too use this same config but I haven’t had a CEL in over 2k miles of operation with a JB4.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
For some reason the Vibrant spacer didn't work for me...my tuner should be able to disable the code though....but still.