GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Manual Surplus? or DSG Shortage?

DJTosin

So I've began actively looking into purchasing a 2018 Golf R in DSG form and I don't know if it's just me or my searching capabilities, but I am seeing exactly zero DSG 2018 R's for sale. Is that typical or what? If my wife was able to drive stick, I would consider scooping up a Manual at a discount. Just curious if anyone could shed some light on the topic.

cb1111

Manual surplus. VW forgot that their own research shows that in the US, 5% of the buyers want a manual and among enthusiasts it is a bit over 10%.

If you want a DSG then you'll have to wait until the 19s come out.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
DSG scarcity on R has been around there for a while. You have to wait for 2019s to hit the dealer lots.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Manual surplus. VW forgot that their own research shows that in the US, 5% of the buyers want a manual and among enthusiasts it is a bit over 10%.

If you want a DSG then you'll have to wait until the 19s come out.

This, although I think the split isn't so lopsided on the R and GTI.

IMO it's a buyers market for a leftover '18 R. All my local dealers quoted me prices under invoice, and had multiple MT Rs in stock.

FWIW, my wife can't drive manual and that hasn't stopped me for the last decade :p

DJTosin

This, although I think the split isn't so lopsided on the R and GTI.

IMO it's a buyers market for a leftover '18 R. All my local dealers quoted me prices under invoice, and had multiple MT Rs in stock.

FWIW, my wife can't drive manual and that hasn't stopped me for the last decade :p

Lol show me your ways...

Tac

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'18 R & '17 GTI

Yea and I bet you only get that price as long as you finance through them, and that's before any fees get thrown on ;). There isn't really ever any incentive on Rs, so that's the only place where I can see them pulling that money from.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Lol show me your ways...

You're in CA, no offense intended, but your market is a lot different than the SE.

Yea and I bet you only get that price as long as you finance through them, and that's before any fees get thrown on ;). There isn't really ever any incentive on Rs, so that's the only place where I can see them pulling that money from.

Nope. I financed through my credit union, which was 1 point lower than VW could do. Doc fees were $695 and registration (transfer of my tag) was $44. I sold my car outright, so there was no trade. I also had to pay my credit union $45 to overnight the paperwork.

IMO those fees are reasonable for my area.

pnwbrdr

Ready to race!
To add to the surplus - in Europe, VW isn't selling ANY manuals, and only selling DSG's until MK8 comes out. No doubt they're probably dumping more manuals into the US than normal.

Tac

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'18 R & '17 GTI
Nope. I financed through my credit union, which was 1 point lower than VW could do. Doc fees were $695 and registration (transfer of my tag) was $44. I sold my car outright, so there was no trade. I also had to pay my credit union $45 to overnight the paperwork.

IMO those fees are reasonable for my area.

I wonder if it was because of the large amount of MTs around. I managed to get my DSG for 40k with similar fees, but that was after financing through them having matched my credit union rates. I wouldn't expect anyone to find a DSG for much less then that.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
AIR, the 2016 R mix was 60% DSG. At that rate for 2018 there were only about 3,000 DSG's produced. The people who wanted a DSG already bought one.

Does anyone have the actual mix for 2018 and 2017 to see the trend?

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
DSGs will be plentiful when the 2019 hits. Its been months since dealers got any new 2018s in stock. Everything left has been sitting for awhile.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
There has been a shortage of new R’s in Europe (possibly worldwide) due to the new emission tests, you still cannot order one in the UK, be it manual or DSG! You cannot even configure one, the GTi has only just recently been available again too, searching for used R’s on the vw uk website returns a few low mileage 18s but the prices are higher than only a 4 or 5 months ago when I bought my GTi, supply and demand I guess!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: