GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Man, VW is such a pain in the ass

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
So I go to schedule an appointment for a transmission fluid change on my wife's 02 Jetta 2.0 automatic today and the dude tells me he's not even sure they do that anymore. I said, what? He said, oh yeah and it's expensive and like a 3-4 hour job. I'm like wtf? The fluids and replacement parts will run over $250. Is this true for anyone that has experience with this model and year?

I told him I'll schedule it later in the week and he said that would be good because only like 1 guy at the shop knows how to work on them. I'm like, damn, do I even trust him? Should I just take it to VW to get it done right but get r@ped in the wallet? Why the hell does VW make their cars so unfriendly to work on or expensive when it comes to repairs??? WTH!!! :mad:

Sorry had to vent. My wife is hating VW more and more everyday after I told her this, lol.

WAP

Go Kart Champion
I had my 99 Mk4 2.0 for 11 years and it never had, nor needed, a trans fluid change. My mom DD's it now and she's not had it done, either. I drove it recently and it still runs like an absolute (slow) champ.

Why did you want to change her trans fluid?

Last edited:

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
So I go to schedule an appointment for a transmission fluid change on my wife's 02 Jetta 2.0 automatic today and the dude tells me he's not even sure they do that anymore. I said, what? He said, oh yeah and it's expensive and like a 3-4 hour job. I'm like wtf? The fluids and replacement parts will run over $250. Is this true for anyone that has experience with this model and year?

What fap said...are you sure the car needs a tranny flush? I have done many tranny flushes in my garage and often they weren't needed, but I did them for piece of mind.

Also...why do you have to go to VW? Plenty of Indie shops can do that, and for less than $250 too. But keep in mind to do a real flush you need a lot of clean fluid, prob spend $60-$80 on fluid alone.

On my slushbox car I went about 70k (7 yrs) between tranny flushes, and that was only because it would start lazy shifting once the fluid got that much age on it.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Any automatic transmission needs changing of the fluid at most after 50k miles...

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
IIRC it was over $100 just for the fluid/filter to do the flush in my allroad. $250 counting labor might not be a bad price.

The pain in the ass was that VAG claimed the fluid never needed to be changed so every car with that transmission has it fail between like 100 and 150k miles.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
BMW
I feel ya. My local dealer refused to rotate my tires because they are on aftermarket wheels...

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
I feel ya. My local dealer refused to rotate my tires because they are on aftermarket wheels...

Why would you let the dealer touch your aftermarket wheels in the first place?

My wheels weren't even that expensive and I wouldn't let them touch them with a 10 foot pole.

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
BMW
Why would you let the dealer touch your aftermarket wheels in the first place?

My wheels weren't even that expensive and I wouldn't let them touch them with a 10 foot pole.

I wanted to get them rotated, I figure how can you screw up a wheel rotating it.

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
I wanted to get them rotated, I figure how can you screw up a wheel rotating it.

Oh...let me count the ways...

Seriously man. I have seen even supposedly legit TIRE STORES screw up tire rotations. As in scoring the wheels. As in f*cking up the lugs and wheel bolts. Real talented butchers working back there at some of these places.

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
BMW
Oh...let me count the ways...

Seriously man. I have seen even supposedly legit TIRE STORES screw up tire rotations. As in scoring the wheels. As in f*cking up the lugs and wheel bolts. Real talented butchers working back there at some of these places.
Wow. Probably better off doing it myself then lol

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Car(s)
VW GTI MKVI
And all good reasons to learn your car and diy everything. I refuse to go to the dealer for anything but parts and that's only if I need it right away. Order online and diy. VW 4 life.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
And all good reasons to learn your car and diy everything. I refuse to go to the dealer for anything but parts and that's only if I need it right away. Order online and diy. VW 4 life.

Agreed....except for the last part. LOL