GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MAGIC/MAJESTY (eBay) 16.4 liter Intercooler

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
Whatchu talking bout Willis?? That there is a genuine AutoZone shopping basket and it worked fine. I didn't have anything else at that height I was able to use and my cooler was too small for this job.

Fella.. no no.. ;) The approved device for this installation is supposed to be an igloo cooler... you did it all wrong at that point :rolleyes:

Oh and please take down your photos of the none approved device that was in use.

mk7_gsw

Anyone else has issues with coolant hose behind the fan shroud slightly rubbing when engine rocks back and forth during driving? I might have to remove the bumper and slide the core support forward a little. (they are slotted forward to back to allow some adjustment) i put mine at the same exact location but this intercooler being so thick made everything very tight space wise in the bay.

BronxBomber

Ready to race!
So I read through most of the 50 some pages of this thread and I will be ordering one of these IC. Most likely around Black Friday, hoping for a coupon. At this point in time what is the best seller to buy from? Also has anyone tried the eBay charge pipes, I would really like to get some charge pipes as well.

Example:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/162815074791

Just get he Intercooler with pipes. They sell them together. That’s what I did. $297 with pipes included.

Bassman

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
So I read through most of the 50 some pages of this thread and I will be ordering one of these IC. Most likely around Black Friday, hoping for a coupon. At this point in time what is the best seller to buy from? Also has anyone tried the eBay charge pipes, I would really like to get some charge pipes as well.

Example:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/162815074791

Please stay away from these cheap Rev9 „eBay“ charge pipes!
I bought a set of them and the fitment was horrible! It was a waste of money and time. Also the welds are not good. Could not fit the map sensor, hole and threads were way of. I don’t think there is no need to get a new charge pipe for the engine.

I just bought the ECS turbo discharge pipe when they were on sale and the fit and finish is great!

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-pa...tlet-pipe-kit-wrinkle-black/009037ecs02-01~a/

Way better then the Chinese junk pipes on eBay or AliExpress.

Klrider44

Go Kart Champion
Please stay away from these cheap Rev9 „eBay“ charge pipes!
I bought a set of them and the fitment was horrible! It was a waste of money and time. Also the welds are not good. Could not fit the map sensor, hole and threads were way of. I don’t think there is no need to get a new charge pipe for the engine.

I just bought the ECS turbo discharge pipe when they were on sale and the fit and finish is great!

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-pa...tlet-pipe-kit-wrinkle-black/009037ecs02-01~a/

Way better then the Chinese junk pipes on eBay or AliExpress.

I thought I remember the ECS pipes being more expensive, but thank you for the heads up I will most likely go wth the ECS kit (they typically have nice stuff)

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Spent the weekend getting this completed. Kind of a wrestling match getting the sandwich together and mounted.

The driver side peg did need some grinding down. I also ground down the lip of the peg so the yellow clip could be pushed further in to line up.

That part was a hassle. Shortening the whole thing was easy via just pushing it into my bench grinder. But trimming down the lip on all of those sides of the peg - not so much.

I was still unable to get the driver side pulled in all the way. I used an m6 bolt like is shown in post 1 to try and draw the clip all the way in, but I stopped a few mm short because it was starting to feel very forced.

Oh yea, Chinese replacement yellow clips ftw. The originals broke almost immediately.

The whole shebang fit but the back of one the fan's rear braces is like right up against the engine's inlet charge hose/pipe clamp band.

I couldn't get the bottom of the whole thing any further forward and wanted to be done. Car runs and sounds exactly the same (it's too cool out for a better IC to do much) so that's good.

I might go back and trim away a few mm of that spot on the fan brace to keep it from resting right on the hose rather than try to remount it more forward. Anyone else have that situation?

I only managed to break two small plastic bits, so that's not bad. Epoxied and sanded easily enough.

Also (and do this at your own risk), if you have the xenon lights, getting that annoying 16mm crash bar bolt out from under it is way easier if you use a floor jack and a 2x4 to ever so gently push the whole light assembly up a few mm.

Actually I got the bolts out without doing that, but could not get them lined up and threaded to go back in without pushing the light up and out of the way.

Last edited:

Nyulak

Ready to race!
I had my IC installed (did it on my previous TSI and decided once was enough) and had the same issue with the fan support touching a hose. The installer trimmed the lower support a bit to create some clearance.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I had my IC installed (did it on my previous TSI and decided once was enough) and had the same issue with the fan support touching a hose. The installer trimmed the lower support a bit to create some clearance.

OK then. I'll be doing that when I go back under this weekend to re-inspect my work. I'm quite handy with a dremel at this point. One of the single best tools to have for ghetto engineering like installing things like this.

mk717

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 A3 Quattro

I had to do the same, almost rubbed a hole clean through the hose. Fortunately i was still using the stock hoses.

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI