GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Low profile floor jacks

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
The low profile long reach in my pic can 🤷‍♂️
Sweet. That'll save a lot of hassle when putting it up on 4 stands. The front lift point is the thing I miss most about my old Civic.

I have seen those stands that are wider than the jack, but last I looked, they weren't in stock.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
This is the jack I use, never had any problems with it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-rapid-pump-floor-jack-68048.html

My same jack! It's going on 8 years now with zero issues.

I also have their jack stands which someone didn't recommend. Why is that? I've also had zero issues with them. I got the rubber pads that were meant to fit them while I was at the store. No issues with them either...

Oh yeah, and if the low profile is like 20 bucks more than standard, spend the extra money. I made that mistake being a cheapass and thought, oh the standard jack would totally fit under my car. I brought it home and it was like 1CM that would make a difference from fitting under, lol.

Luckily my mother's driveway had some areas where it is slightly raised. I would position the car over those spots to give that little extra height I needed and it would fit the jack easily, lol.

Last edited:

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Don't have any personal experience, but I like how this allows for easy placement of jack stands.

This is the one I've been using for the past 3 years. It's been great and perfect for getting jack stands under the car without having to raise the opposite corners of the car. No complaints

Last edited:

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
This is the one I've been using for the past 3 years. It's been great and perfect for getting jack stands under the car without having the raise the opposite corners of the car. No complaints

I've read some reviews that mention it drops pretty fast. Have you noticed that?

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
My same jack! It's going on 8 years now with zero issues.

I also have their jack stands which someone didn't recommend. Why is that? I've also had zero issues with them. I got the rubber pads that were meant to fit them while I was at the store. No issues with them either...

Oh yeah, and if the low profile is like 20 bucks more than standard, spend the extra money. I made that mistake being a cheapass and thought, oh the standard jack would totally fit under my car. I brought it home and it was like 1CM that would make a difference from fitting under, lol.

Luckily my mother's driveway had some areas where it is slightly raised. I would position the car over those spots to give that little extra height I needed and it would fit the jack easily, lol.

Probably because they were recalled for "collapsing while under load."

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
Probably because they were recalled for "collapsing while under load."
Well that is scary. I can't say I use them enough but would hope I could count on them if I was under the car.... The last time I used them though to remove the rear bumper, I didn't have to jack them up at all. They were fine at the lowest height (still gave me enough clearance to work underneath for what I was doing) so that is probably safest method to use them vs actually jacking them up.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Well that is scary. I can't say I use them enough but would hope I could count on them if I was under the car.... The last time I used them though to remove the rear bumper, I didn't have to jack them up at all. They were fine at the lowest height (still gave me enough clearance to work underneath for what I was doing) so that is probably safest method to use them vs actually jacking them up.

Bring them back for a complete refund, no questions asked.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
yo
Only certain ones were recalled, not all of them.

1619454928110.png

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
yo
Would this fit under a lowered car? Seems like it might be close.

Looking at the Amazon page, it says it needs just over 5.5" to fit. So probably not.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
Only certain ones were recalled, not all of them.

View attachment 211587

Thanks for that! I'll take a pic and next time I'm at my mothers, I'll check it out. Visually, it looks just like the one on the right. They're old though. How long is the recall good for? Now that I think about it, I got them with my jack and that wasn't 8 years ago but more like 5-6.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Would this fit under a lowered car? Seems like it might be close.
Depends how lowered I suppose. I can measure the height of it at its lowest point for you when I get home

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
I've read some reviews that mention it drops pretty fast. Have you noticed that?
It can drop quite quickly if you aren't used to using it. But if you turn the handle slowly its not an issue.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Thanks for that! I'll take a pic and next time I'm at my mothers, I'll check it out. Visually, it looks just like the one on the right. They're old though. How long is the recall good for? Now that I think about it, I got them with my jack and that wasn't 8 years ago but more like 5-6.

Age and condition do not matter. It's a recall. Bring them in, walk out with cash.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
It can drop quite quickly if you aren't used to using it. But if you turn the handle slowly its not an issue.

Yes, as long as you take your time turning it, it'll release slowly but if you just rip that thing, yo car gon fall hard, lol.

I can honestly say though this has never been in issue in the years I've owned this and jacked up my car plenty of times yearly. Just take your time on the turn.