GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Low-end stumbling problems after Unitronic Stage1 upgrade on GSW 1.8T

tlovejr

Car(s)
2019 e-Golf SE
I flashed my ECU with the Unitronic Stage 1 software on Thursday. The car drives well in general, except for one immediately noticeable thing; the car stumbles/shudders/lurches in the 800-1,000 RPM range. While it may seem like a small and inconsequential range of the power band, it actually manifests very regularly. ex. Parking lots, driveway, stop-signs/stoplights, etc. Externally, it somewhat appears like a teenager learning to drive a manual (which was quite embarrassing in a crowded parking lot yesterday).

A few troubleshooting factors:
  • It only happens under load (ie. not reproducible while in park or neutral)
  • Didn’t have have this problem with the JB1.
  • Car is well maintained in general. 30k miles.
  • Always use 91+ gas.
  • Just installed (yesterday) a fresh K&N to make sure airflow is ok. No change.
  • 2016 Sportwagen 1.8 TSI E888 Gen3 MQB (automatic)
Thoughts? Anyone seen this before? Unitronic flashes are supposed to "maintain complete OEM-like reliability and drivability". This low-end shuddering is anything but OEM-like. It essentially happens every time I use the car, so it really impacts the drivability.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I flashed my ECU with the Unitronic Stage 1 software on Thursday. The car drives well in general, except for one immediately noticeable thing; the car stumbles/shudders/lurches in the 800-1,000 RPM range. While it may seem like a small and inconsequential range of the power band, it actually manifests very regularly. ex. Parking lots, driveway, stop-signs/stoplights, etc. Externally, it somewhat appears like a teenager learning to drive a manual (which was quite embarrassing in a crowded parking lot yesterday).

A few troubleshooting factors:
  • It only happens under load (ie. not reproducible while in park or neutral)
  • Didn’t have have this problem with the JB1.
  • Car is well maintained in general. 30k miles.
  • Always use 91+ gas.
  • Just installed (yesterday) a fresh K&N to make sure airflow is ok. No change.
  • 2016 Sportwagen 1.8 TSI E888 Gen3 MQB (automatic)
Thoughts? Anyone seen this before? Unitronic flashes are supposed to "maintain complete OEM-like reliability and drivability". This low-end shuddering is anything but OEM-like. It essentially happens every time I use the car, so it really impacts the drivability.

Have you put in a support ticket with Unitronic? That's where I'd start. Not sure how these tunes work with the standard auto.

tlovejr

Car(s)
2019 e-Golf SE
Have you put in a support ticket with Unitronic? That's where I'd start. Not sure how these tunes work with the standard auto.

Yup, just submitted it. I'm still hopeful at this point.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Could just need fresh plugs.

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
Could be bad gas too, not all 91 is created equal. If you're using top tier gas I would check the plugs. Lastly, I raised the RPM on my ride via VCDS by 50 and that smoothed out takeoff and what some call the "fishbite" or rough idle.

jonatj

Passed Driver's Ed
Replace plugs and ignition coils

Hi there. Sounds exactly like what was happening to me after my Stage 1 Eurodyne tune. I could make it happen if I was going up a slight grade in 6th gear and try to floor it (high load situation). It threw an EPC light and went into limp mode once after doing that. I have a JB4 and read the fault codes which pointed at a misfire in a couple of cylinders. Replacement of the plugs and ignition coils fixed it for me. I have 33K miles and my mechanic said that it is common for these cars to have ignition coils go bad after 30K with a tune especially.

It was a pretty quick and easy job. It took 30 minutes and cost $230. Give that a shot.

hoosier1661

Car(s)
Mk7 GSW 1.8T
Did you ever figure out the issue? I had the exact same issue (2018 GSW 1.8T) and ended up flashing back to stock because Unitronic couldn't figure it out. I had the issue right out of the gate and changed the plugs, coils, air filter, and even the engine and trans mounts (including installing a dog bone insert). Nothing ever fixed it.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
This is going to be controversial, but I don't think I've heard of anyone having issues like this on APR. I've read about quite a few 1.8 Unitronic guys with weird sputter problems, EPC lights, etc. Many people go with Unitronic because they feel like it's less aggressive than APR, and they want a set it and forget it tune. It seems APR, is the one that's set it and forget it. Sure, it may command more boost, but how often are you at WOT? And when you're at WOT, don't you want to win? ;)

Last edited:

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I like Unitronic as a company, their customer support is better than APR, and their tunes have some merit; BUT it's undenyable that APR has the more reliable, more powerful, and cheaper tune.

613B6

Ready to race!
Switch to Eurodyne, I've had their 1.8T file on my Alltrack for a few months and love it. The file is adjustable too for boost and timing advance.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Switch to Eurodyne, I've had their 1.8T file on my Alltrack for a few months and love it. The file is adjustable too for boost and timing advance.

Have you dug in to Maestro for the 1.8 yet? =)

613B6

Ready to race!
Have you dug in to Maestro for the 1.8 yet? =)

I know where your heading :p

I've made a few tunes for 1.8 clients, however the 2.0 MK7 keeps me busy enough to only focus on that.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I know where your heading :p

I've made a few tunes for 1.8 clients, however the 2.0 MK7 keeps me busy enough to only focus on that.

I can see how you could easily be overwhelmed if you supported both. I think there is a market here for the 1.8 guys though. I'm seeing more and more guys doing tunes and stacks, etc.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
All the people that have Uni tunes - not too many problems (especially this one) reported. This has to be something with the specific car I'd say. To the point of APR being cheaper - work out the math for me on that. On the cheaper, not sure there. Stage 1+ Uni is 699 + 150 cable. Stage 1 93 APR is 599 but you have to typically pay a dealer to install/flash.

Google "APR IS20 limp mode" …..it's all tunes at some base level/noise/background numbers of users experiencing issues.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/epc-light-on-is20-apr-tune-wastegate.364985/