GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Loss of power on shift

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
So I had this posted about a month ago, but since then hasn't happened until today AGAIN!

Car feels like it is running a little rough on idle, when I go to shift from 1st to 2nd and disengage clutch plus add throttle it's like the power totally cuts out for a second and then jerkily comes back....it happens for 2nd to 3rd shift as well?! Then it goes away after awhile and acts normally....I have a JB4 btw, but somehow doubt that is causing the problem.....any ideas people?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Are you still using the original spark plugs? I'm not sure if that would explain the shifting jerkiness but misfires could be causing the rough idle.

robmarktoo

Ready to race!
I've had that happen a couple times either getting into 1st or 2nd, always on a cold engine. I've attributed it to letting the clutch out slightly too fast or some kind of ECU hiccup on a cold engine. No tune here, original plugs, 35k miles.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
It has to be some sort of ECU intervention - just annoying as hell.....I have RS7 plugs which were installed about 2k miles ago also

Crackness1

Ready to race!
So I had this posted about a month ago, but since then hasn't happened until today AGAIN!

Car feels like it is running a little rough on idle, when I go to shift from 1st to 2nd and disengage clutch plus add throttle it's like the power totally cuts out for a second and then jerkily comes back....it happens for 2nd to 3rd shift as well?! Then it goes away after awhile and acts normally....I have a JB4 btw, but somehow doubt that is causing the problem.....any ideas people?

I've had that happen a couple times either getting into 1st or 2nd, always on a cold engine. I've attributed it to letting the clutch out slightly too fast or some kind of ECU hiccup on a cold engine. No tune here, original plugs, 35k miles.

Same here. No rhyme or reason to it that I can find. Has happened less as time has gone on, not sure if it's a jb4 hiccup or not, but if it is, it's gotten less frequent (even though i'm on the original plugs at 32k miles), possibly due to firmware updates.

GoatPowder

Ready to race!
Is it occurring in ESC "sport mode" as well?

I've noticed this on mine too (14k Cobb) but only with traction control active. I assumed it was the ECM cutting throttle to prevent slip.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Is it occurring in ESC "sport mode" as well?

I've noticed this on mine too (14k Cobb) but only with traction control active. I assumed it was the ECM cutting throttle to prevent slip.

Doesn't matter and it happens with mild throttle input - not balls to the wall, so it's not a traction issue