GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking to Buy MK7 GTI, need Help/advice

Brice80

Hey guys,

I'm brand new to the forums, I'm 22 years old and have been a mustang guy for the past 5 years. Lookin at GTI's recently and need some advice/help.

I noticed the golf when looking for a new car, and did some research on it, being a practical yet really fun when I want it kind of car.

I want y'alls opinions. I have receieved an out the door price on a 2015 Autobahn GTI with the lighting package of $27200. It does not have the Performance pack, or the DCC option. It has 15,200 miles and it's the DSG automatic. I would have liked a manual, however I sit in 1 hour each way heavy traffic each day, so I wouldn't mind an auto.

I would really appreciate some feedback on price, it seems fair to me honestly, but I wanted y'alls opinion overall.

I have read that it is the perfect practical car (real life MPG?), however I would want to have an absolute blast on the weekends, or a friday drive home after work.

If I don't have the PP would I regret it, mostly for the LSD? and will the ride be pretty rough, without the DCC option?

The DSG tranny has some crazy good reviews, but I've heard it's super laggy in traffic etc, so I wanted to get some opinions there.

I've been reading about blown turbos recently, is that really that common, and something I would have to worry about soon (skeptical on tuning, but leaning towards it if I could handle it without the LSD from the PP).

I'm really on the fence, and I would appreciate any opinions/advice on the car. Also if I left anything out, I'd love insight into any revelations you might have made since you bought the MK7 GTI.

Thank you guys so much,

Brice

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys,

I'm brand new to the forums, I'm 22 years old and have been a mustang guy for the past 5 years. Lookin at GTI's recently and need some advice/help.

I noticed the golf when looking for a new car, and did some research on it, being a practical yet really fun when I want it kind of car.

I want y'alls opinions. I have receieved an out the door price on a 2015 Autobahn GTI with the lighting package of $27200. It does not have the Performance pack, or the DCC option. It has 15,200 miles and it's the DSG automatic. I would have liked a manual, however I sit in 1 hour each way heavy traffic each day, so I wouldn't mind an auto.

I would really appreciate some feedback on price, it seems fair to me honestly, but I wanted y'alls opinion overall.

I have read that it is the perfect practical car (real life MPG?), however I would want to have an absolute blast on the weekends, or a friday drive home after work.

If I don't have the PP would I regret it, mostly for the LSD? and will the ride be pretty rough, without the DCC option?

The DSG tranny has some crazy good reviews, but I've heard it's super laggy in traffic etc, so I wanted to get some opinions there.

I've been reading about blown turbos recently, is that really that common, and something I would have to worry about soon (skeptical on tuning, but leaning towards it if I could handle it without the LSD from the PP).

I'm really on the fence, and I would appreciate any opinions/advice on the car. Also if I left anything out, I'd love insight into any revelations you might have made since you bought the MK7 GTI.

Thank you guys so much,

Brice

- First things first, i came from a manual GTI to a DSG GTI, and i 50/50 regretted that decision, also i live in DC metro area so traffic is awful and it tends to get frustrating with manual under certain cases. But i was fine with the manual, DSG tends to get annoying in traffic with constant shifting, but it's nice not pressing the clutch a hundred times at each light. But then again different strokes for different folks.

- As for real life mpg, if i drive on highway at 65 w/ cars passing me and sometimes behind SUV's or trucks, i easily get 38 mpg, but if i weave around cars on highway about 31-34, depends on how you press the throttle.

- Performance Package comes with LSD, bigger brakes and extra "10 hp" (which i find a marketing bullshit or perhaps they had to up the power due to weight of the LSD), LSD is great for a front wheel drive drive, it takes away the disadvantages, especially since you got used to Rear wheel drive. But without PP, which what i have is not bad, still handles like a dime and much better than previous generation GTI (mk7 basically makes the mk6 like a POS in handling), but i suggest to get better tires which makes a difference compared to stock. The ride isn't as harsh as you think without DCC, it won't be remotely close to Evo MR sitting on rock ride quality.

- DSG is essentially an automated manual, and it will not be as smooth as the torque converter, mostly in stop and go traffic. But there are DSG tunes that solve this issue, which helps to shift in higher RPMS on D, but they're not out yet for this platform (i'd take a look at Revo, unitronic, apr, etc.)

- Turbo failures from what i read are from in Europe, I only found couple in US so far. But buying a VW is like a russian roulette in transportation, you either get a really reliable one, or the one that's plagued with issues. I have good luck on my previous GTI with only one water pump issue (common on mk6's btw), now i have 11k miles and have zero issues so far.

- Also tune really wakes the car up, but if you get manual i can tell you that your clutch might slip, i didn't find those issues on this forum, but its pretty popular on mk6's, but DSG has been proven to handle 450 hp, you won't have any worries. As i mentioned previous, get better tires prior to tune, VW cut cost down with these car so they put grand touring tires (which will suck when tuning) instead of ultra high performance all season.

Stig's American Cousin

Ready to race!
I normally drive v8 sports cars but it was just hell to and from work (I also drive an hour to/from) Needed something with better fuel economy but wanted to stay kind of sporty given what I am use to.

I dont have the traffic to deal with so I stuck with the manual for cost savings, plus slightly better fuel economy. If I had to do traffic like you I would do the DSG in a second. Plus if you get the PP you get launch control with the DSG which is cool.

On the PP issue its a must, the HP difference isn't much but the Brakes and LSD are worth the price themselves. Plus it would cost you more if you decided to add aftermarket pieces to bring you up to that level anyway.

Price doesn't seem out of line for what you have listed it really comes down to the dealership and how much they are willing to work with you. I used the SCCA discount. Was 80 dollars to join SCCA and then used that membership to get my Autobahn 500 below invoice.

The lighting package is a must have, its a night and day difference between the 2 types of headlights. Do yourself a favor go ahead and make sure you get the lighting package.

I opted for the DCC option. I have to admit I wasnt sure how much I would like it. Got it mostly for selling point later. But I do love it difference between comfort and sport is amazing. To me it was well worth the extra cost. Although expect an expensive cost if you end up having to replace the dampers years down the road. They will be more expensive than standard shocks which is a given.

on my drive to work I have gotten around 32 mpg. coming from a Cobra that gets around 19 around town (16 if I cant stay out of the supercharger) its a welcome change. Love the economy of the car and I still get to enjoy my ride no matter where I am going.

I compared it to the Focus ST, and Mini when shopping. I liked the Focus but the interior is so cramped and boy racer looking it totally turned me off. The mini was nice but I felt it was to pricy for what you got. The GTI on the other hand, tons of room, more sophisticated interior, and I have to admit I find it a much better looking car than the others. Plus the price seemed like a better balance for what you got and how the car looked/performed. The Ford while cheaper it felt cheap and cramped to me. The mini while nice seemed over inflated for what it was.

on the blown turbo front, best I can tell 9 out of 10 of the blown turbos you see will have some sort of tune on that vehicle. That coupled with driving style I assume is the cause of the failure. Again on the stock side I would think the failure comes from driving style or lack of proper care. Not to say that there aren't turbos out there with component/design issues from the factory and they just go pop, but that seems to be a very low occurrence.

For me I have been beyond thrilled with my choice. Would do it again in a second without a thought. As far as the options comes down to you deciding what it worth the cost/payment for what you choose. All the options are good value for what you get. Just get what you want I am sure you will be happy with your choice. Most everyone here has seemed to have enjoyed what they have chosen. Most regrets are for not getting something they wanted VS getting something and it not being what they expected.

Hope this helps.

Brice80

Tkulhanc134 and Stig's American Cousin (Love the name). thank you guys so much, I really appreciate it.

So from what I hear from you guys, DSG is okay, as long as I understand in traffic it can be a little iffy. which sucks because that's the reason I'd buy an automatic. However that doesn't concern me as much.

The MPG sounds AWESOME. If I averaged over 30mpg with a little bit of spirited driving on the highway to get around people, i'd be ecstatic. because I too come from a big v8 that babied gets 20. I would be so fine with 27-30mpg when actually getting on it.

Okoay so the tuning, as far as that goes Tkulhanc, could the DSG tranny handle an of the stage 1 tunes? even the APR, with that much torque? or would i encounter problems you think.

Another thing i'd like to mention is that this is one particular car. It's an autobahn withthe lighting package, but nothing else. So the car MSRP's at just over $30k. They are asking $27k delivered to my house (Taxes and shipping included).
That said, this seems like a really good deal, BUT it doesn't have the PP, and like tkulhanc stated it doesn't seem that's such a big deal. My only thing is that it doesn't have the LSD which stigs american best friend seems to think is pretty darn important which I'd agree. My question is, do I pass on this particular car, and hope that another great deal pops up soon? Or go in and settle without the performance pack.

milwkeesbest

Passed Driver's Ed
I need a car today, but I'm not willing to settle for something w/o LSD, so order was placed, and now I must wait. Granted I haven't compared with and without, but for the small price, I don't want to kick myself later.

ALso, that price. It's used. 15k miles. I wouldn't pay 27k. Pony up for new with the PP, IMO.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Tkulhanc134 and Stig's American Cousin (Love the name). thank you guys so much, I really appreciate it.

So from what I hear from you guys, DSG is okay, as long as I understand in traffic it can be a little iffy. which sucks because that's the reason I'd buy an automatic. However that doesn't concern me as much.

The MPG sounds AWESOME. If I averaged over 30mpg with a little bit of spirited driving on the highway to get around people, i'd be ecstatic. because I too come from a big v8 that babied gets 20. I would be so fine with 27-30mpg when actually getting on it.

Okoay so the tuning, as far as that goes Tkulhanc, could the DSG tranny handle an of the stage 1 tunes? even the APR, with that much torque? or would i encounter problems you think.

Another thing i'd like to mention is that this is one particular car. It's an autobahn withthe lighting package, but nothing else. So the car MSRP's at just over $30k. They are asking $27k delivered to my house (Taxes and shipping included).
That said, this seems like a really good deal, BUT it doesn't have the PP, and like tkulhanc stated it doesn't seem that's such a big deal. My only thing is that it doesn't have the LSD which stigs american best friend seems to think is pretty darn important which I'd agree. My question is, do I pass on this particular car, and hope that another great deal pops up soon? Or go in and settle without the performance pack.

There are people that run ko4 turbo's (which pushes 360whp btw) on mk6's with those transmissions and 95% had no issues with them, so you won't run any issues, that's also part of it why i switched to DSG, so i don't have to deal with issues after tuning with manual. Also i can't really speak for the performance package as i never driven one, and i also bought mine when performance package was not out yet, but it suppose to be better. I have heard that LSD pulls you into corners and good solution for understeer. So LSD is a good piece of mind imo, if PP was out at the time i was in need of a car after my mark6's total loss, i would go for it, but even non-PP was better than my mark6 even with aftermarket suspension.

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
From a long suffering owner of GTI MK7 Performance with standard suspension that rattles and clatters at low speeds over ruts ridges and broken tarmac I can tell you that having driven a car with DCC and without, it is in my viewbetter to have DCC.

DCC fitted models do not suffer from the rear shock absorber noise issue that VW now conveniently refer to as a "characteristic" of the model. This is complete BS and they know it.

I am in a long running dispute with VWUK and have currently rejected my car that is less than one year old and has 6,500 miles completed and is now on its 4th set of shock absorbers. Just go on-line and type in www.vwgolfmk7problems.uk or type into Google "golf mk7 rear suspension problems" and you will see what I mean. From the emails I have received from other owners in the UK there are a number of us with this problem that VW cannot or will not fix.

It may be different in the USA, that I don't know but in my view don't chance it so get DCC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bvS3g2vXFI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN3-8Ib4k_g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_1cLNtr75Y

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I do not see issues with DSG when in auto and in traffic. It shifts early to save gas. Shifts are unaware. The car runs lower rpm's than I am used to on a 4 cylinder. At 35mph and in town driving the cars rpm's and low. Around 1300. Sometimes seems like it will stall but never does. Even though it seems like it will stall you never feel it. Maybe this is what they are talking about. As you drive more you get use to it and not noticed.
As I drive my GTI, then drive my other two cars, the GTI ruins the ride in the other cars it is so good. I would get this car for any driving. Add LP and DCC for great lighting and comfort in ride. PP has great brakes. Good feeling.
See my build thread for mork to and feeling on car if you like.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I think that's a pretty decent price tbh, however if you are truly interested in the car make sure you're allowed to take it for more than a 5 or 10 minute test drive. You wanna drive it over shitty road surfaces so you can listen for creaks/rattles/squeaks (specifically from the rear suspension). Some of these cars (mine included) are perfect from the factory and make zero noises, and some of them are riddled with problems.

That said, you could probably get a brand new SE model in manual w/ LP for 27k before taxes etc if you go to a good dealer who's interested in treating customers well. The only difference between the Autobahn and SE models is power seats, navigation, and the dual zone climate control. Obviously up to you whether you value those options, but I personally can live without them and chose to do just that and save a few bucks.

As far as the PP vs non-PP debate is concerned, if you're not taking your car to a track it's truly not by any means "necessary." It's a GREAT bang-for-the-buck option if you planned on upgrading the brakes or installing and aftermarket LSD anyway (you get both for 1k whereas aftermarket solutions would cost 2k+ for the brakes and ~1.5k for the LSD). I owned an MK6 GTI before this, and the MQB's chassis stiffness combined with the OEM strut setup for the MK7 is worlds better and considering the MK6 is still considered a performance car, I'm again perfectly happy without the PP on the MK7.

I have no comment on DCC, however my car is not equipped and, again, coming from the MK6 this car handles better AND rides smoother so I really don't feel like it's "necessary" either.

I know you didn't ask - but I DID get the LP and I STRONGLY suggest you do the same. Since the car comes with LED fog lights standard, it looks REALLY BAD if you get the halogen headlights. the LED fogs w/ LP projectors/LED DRLs look soooooo good in conjunction. Really makes the GTI look like an Audi. Not to mention how functional the lights are (hoooolllllyyyyy shit they're great). Also there's AFS which is really cool (lights turn with the steering wheel).

Real life MPG is, naturally, dictated by your right foot. In cruise control on the highway going 65-70, 37-40mpg is to be expected. 75-80 is 32-35. Around town I've managed 30 mpg when staying off boost, coasting in gear towards red lights, etc. Also you can get 18-20 mpg if you floor it every 5 seconds.

If you're a manual guy, you will LOVE the OEM clutch and gearbox operation. Very smooth and user-friendly. Doesn't require a ton of attention to operate smoothly and effectively, practically does half the work for you.

I wouldn't worry about your turbo blowing. And if that DOES concern you, just get APR's low output 91 octane tune. You'll still see massive gains AND increased highway gas mileage (yes, it can get even better). If you get a DSG, it will not have a problem. If you get a manual, there's probably a ~15% chance your clutch will slip within a few thousand miles, however it seems from anecdotal evidence that MOST manual drivers who get a tune are experiencing zero issues. It will certainly reduce the life of your clutch, but won't kill it in like 10 or 20k.

The interior refinement in these cars is KILLIN IT. The system in the SE/Autboahn models (Fender) is great for anyone who enjoys listening to their music at elevated levels. Gets a little shrill past ~80% volume, but most people don't like bumping their shit as loud as me so for most that won't be a problem.

I'm a very avid and loyal VW/GTI fan/customer, and strongly suggest you get a GTI if you're even considering it. It's definitely one of the most bang-for-the-buck cars on the market. I wish you luck in your search, and keep posting deals you see here if you want some more opinions/feedback on pricing for cars you're looking at!

Stig's American Cousin

Ready to race!
I think that's a pretty decent price tbh, however if you are truly interested in the car make sure you're allowed to take it for more than a 5 or 10 minute test drive. You wanna drive it over shitty road surfaces so you can listen for creaks/rattles/squeaks (specifically from the rear suspension). Some of these cars (mine included) are perfect from the factory and make zero noises, and some of them are riddled with problems.

That said, you could probably get a brand new SE model in manual w/ LP for 27k before taxes etc if you go to a good dealer who's interested in treating customers well. The only difference between the Autobahn and SE models is power seats, navigation, and the dual zone climate control. Obviously up to you whether you value those options, but I personally can live without them and chose to do just that and save a few bucks.

As far as the PP vs non-PP debate is concerned, if you're not taking your car to a track it's truly not by any means "necessary." It's a GREAT bang-for-the-buck option if you planned on upgrading the brakes or installing and aftermarket LSD anyway (you get both for 1k whereas aftermarket solutions would cost 2k+ for the brakes and ~1.5k for the LSD). I owned an MK6 GTI before this, and the MQB's chassis stiffness combined with the OEM strut setup for the MK7 is worlds better and considering the MK6 is still considered a performance car, I'm again perfectly happy without the PP on the MK7.

I have no comment on DCC, however my car is not equipped and, again, coming from the MK6 this car handles better AND rides smoother so I really don't feel like it's "necessary" either.

I know you didn't ask - but I DID get the LP and I STRONGLY suggest you do the same. Since the car comes with LED fog lights standard, it looks REALLY BAD if you get the halogen headlights. the LED fogs w/ LP projectors/LED DRLs look soooooo good in conjunction. Really makes the GTI look like an Audi. Not to mention how functional the lights are (hoooolllllyyyyy shit they're great). Also there's AFS which is really cool (lights turn with the steering wheel).

Real life MPG is, naturally, dictated by your right foot. In cruise control on the highway going 65-70, 37-40mpg is to be expected. 75-80 is 32-35. Around town I've managed 30 mpg when staying off boost, coasting in gear towards red lights, etc. Also you can get 18-20 mpg if you floor it every 5 seconds.

If you're a manual guy, you will LOVE the OEM clutch and gearbox operation. Very smooth and user-friendly. Doesn't require a ton of attention to operate smoothly and effectively, practically does half the work for you.

I wouldn't worry about your turbo blowing. And if that DOES concern you, just get APR's low output 91 octane tune. You'll still see massive gains AND increased highway gas mileage (yes, it can get even better). If you get a DSG, it will not have a problem. If you get a manual, there's probably a ~15% chance your clutch will slip within a few thousand miles, however it seems from anecdotal evidence that MOST manual drivers who get a tune are experiencing zero issues. It will certainly reduce the life of your clutch, but won't kill it in like 10 or 20k.

The interior refinement in these cars is KILLIN IT. The system in the SE/Autboahn models (Fender) is great for anyone who enjoys listening to their music at elevated levels. Gets a little shrill past ~80% volume, but most people don't like bumping their shit as loud as me so for most that won't be a problem.

I'm a very avid and loyal VW/GTI fan/customer, and strongly suggest you get a GTI if you're even considering it. It's definitely one of the most bang-for-the-buck cars on the market. I wish you luck in your search, and keep posting deals you see here if you want some more opinions/feedback on pricing for cars you're looking at!

I couldn't agree more. Well put!

Technomaster

Regarding price: I figure a 2015 Autobahn DSG w/ LP + mats brand new would typically go for about ~$31k-32k including the destination fee (but before TTL). (I'm assuming you're looking for a 4dr car, right?)

15k miles is like a year worth of wear and tear - I'd hope to get 20% off brand new price, so figure 25-26k is where you'd want to target?

For reference after heavy negotiation I got my 2015 SE DSG LP 4dr w/ 6700 miles for a little more than $24k before TTL.

Here are some cars in my rough area that were in consideration when I bought my GTI a month ago.

http://www.stamfordsubaru.com/used/...stamford-a4f259980a0d04f2645240d0b22c62d2.htm
This is listed as a Golf S, but it's actually an autobahn DSG w/ LP 4dr (see the nav & powered seat, leather, etc). They're asking for $25,499 for one with over 10k miles.

http://www.worldvw.net/used/Volkswagen/2015-Volkswagen-Golf+GTI-6b8f16670a0a006512dedf0477ec061b.htm
This is an autobahn DSG w/ LP 4dr for $28,500 with 3800 miles.

I posted my tips on buying a used 2015 on VWVortex, PM me if you can't find them. Nothing mind-blowing, but having gone through the experience, it's still pretty fresh.

As far as DSG when driving slow - yeah, I've gotta say it's something you feel a little bit when slowing down to a stop or just coasting slowly in a parking lot. I'm not entirely technical, but the car feels a little jerky as it downshifts. It's not a conventional automatic transmission and I suppose this is one of the tradeoffs of the ultra smooth shifting under acceleration. In recent days, I've determined a decent solution is switching the car into sport mode in these instances. It prevents the DSG from making these unnecessarily shifts.

As far as regrets on what I didn't get:
* I don't miss the PP (though who doesn't want a little more performance?) - for my purposes, this car already feels very good. Not sure if 10hp and even better brakes would make an appreciable difference in daily driving... but... it's a requirement before you get the DCC...
* With a wife and kid - and other occasional passengers, DCC would have been nice for "comfort mode". As a driver, I don't really notice the relatively firm (but not punishing) ride - it's more about others in the car.
* DAP would have been nice. My previous car had both the backup camera and parking sensors. The beeping is very nice if you do a lot of parallel parking or you're in parking lots with zombie pedestrians.

In retrospect I could have considered getting an S with DAP if I were looking to buy new and pay about the same, but I'd have sacrificed the sound system (which is very good), push button start (need it to feel sporty!), leather (makes you feel like you're in a premium vehicle vs just a race car WRX-sorta thing), and the moonroof, which interestingly enough is something I've really enjoyed for the first time in any car. The inner cover is a mesh screen, so some natural light comes through even when it's closed. A nice touch that makes the cabin feel brighter and more open.

Last edited: