GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking for advice on suspension creak

1970something

Ready to race!
I'm hoping to get some advice on where to look to fix an annoying suspension creak. The noise has been occurring for about a year now and is getting louder and more frequent. It sounds identical to the noise in the video below, however it only occurs when I accelerate. It is most severe when accelerating from a stop. The more throttle I give the car, the louder the creak gets and the longer it lasts. It happens when accelerating straight forward, or while turning in either direction (none of these scenarios seems worse than the other). From listening to the noise, I am fairly confident that it is coming from the front suspension or the drivetrain, though it's possible something else is the culprit.

*Edit: This is not my video; it was posted by another golfmk7 user a while ago. I just linked the video because my noise sounds exactly the same.

Here are the things I have done to try and find/remedy the problem:
  • Apply silicone lubricant to control arm bushings, front sway bar bushings, and pendulum mount bushing
  • Visually inspect ball joints, sway bar end links, engine mount, and suspension bushings where accessible - no obvious cracks or tears found
  • Replaced front subframe-to-body bolts and torqued per factory service manual
  • Parked car on level ground, lift up on front fenders to extend and compress the front springs - no significant noise
Any ideas where else to look before I take it into an independent shop? When I first started noticing it, I took it to my local VW dealer and they "couldn't replicate" the noise (which I find pretty hard to believe). Thanks in advance.

Car is a 2017 GTI Sport, DSG transmission.

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
Any dogbone mount insert? my car would make this noise on cold mornings with the BFI stage 2 insert, only taking off from a stop though. Took it out and put the stock bolt back in and it went away.

1970something

Ready to race!
I do have the BFI stage 1 insert. Good idea, I’ll give that a try. I do like the insert though so I’m kind of hoping that is not the culprit

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
Yeah I liked the other feedback from the insert, the in cabin rumble and solid feel, but the creak was a deal breaker. Never did figure out what was actually causing it, as in what was rubbing and or rattling. But it completely went away the second I put it back to stock.

1970something

Ready to race!
Update: I pulled out the BFI Stage 1 dogbone mount insert last night and it was broken. Installed a new VW bolt and torqued to spec and the noise is gone. Now I need to decide if I want to get another one, try another brand, or leave the pendulum mount alone.

Attachments

• broken_pendulum_insert.jpeg
    broken_pendulum_insert.jpeg
    178.9 KB · Views: 33