LIGHTWEIGHT Wheels

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Quick teaser. Hoping to get them on this weekend

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Will anyone recommend me a few of the best wheels available to be ordered for installation at Discount Tire where I have a store credit card for under $200 each? I want 17s I was looking at the MR131 Traklites but I am not sure if I like the styling all that much. To maintain or decrease the stock weight I'm also hoping for something about 18 pounds or less. I have the base Golf with only 15 inch wheels which I think look too small, they also lose traction very easily. Thanks.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Will anyone recommend me a few of the best wheels available to be ordered for installation at Discount Tire where I have a store credit card for under $200 each? I want 17s I was looking at the MR131 Traklites but I am not sure if I like the styling all that much. To maintain or decrease the stock weight I'm also hoping for something about 18 pounds or less. I have the base Golf with only 15 inch wheels which I think look too small, they also lose traction very easily. Thanks.

Konig Hypergram or Rennform

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-wheels/konig-hypergram/p/47823

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-wheels/konig-rennform/p/47900

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
PSS in 235/40 just went to 3/32" so time for replacements.

Hated the slight stretch on the 8.5" wheel with the 235.

So this time I went 245/40 MPS4S... wow.

245/40 looks perfect on the 8.5 and looks great on our cars, especially if you like the meaty look.

Michelin is using some voodoo here, these are quieter, more comfy (might be extra sidewall) and grip better than my worn PSS's. I think they're better than the PSS's at full health as well.

Still at stock height, DG Springs will be going on at some point.

I'm in love! :D

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I didn't know truck tires fit Volkswagen hatchbacks. That's wayyyyy to much sidewall for me, but to each their own!

It's funny, but the Michelins look very sidewall-y to me too. My Direzza Z3 are the same size, and on a 0.5" narrower wheel, but look more natural to me. I guess it's probably because the Z3 are less of a pedestrian tire and much stiffer sidewall, but it's a curious thing :)

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
PSS in 235/40 just went to 3/32" so time for replacements.

Hated the slight stretch on the 8.5" wheel with the 235.

So this time I went 245/40 MPS4S... wow.

245/40 looks perfect on the 8.5 and looks great on our cars, especially if you like the meaty look.

Michelin is using some voodoo here, these are quieter, more comfy (might be extra sidewall) and grip better than my worn PSS's. I think they're better than the PSS's at full health as well.

I actually recently rode on MPSS, MPS4S, Firehawk Indy 500s, and a porsche specific Pirelli P Zero back to back. My favorite was the indy 500 for a street driven tire, followed very closely by the mps4s, and then further down the list I liked the pirelli then mpss. The indy 500s and mps4s acted a lot better than the mpss, imo. It was a very noticeable difference, especially in terms of hot asphalt greasing them up. I think the PSS is a very dated tire. Still a wonderful street tire, but very dated compared to other offerings out there today.

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
I actually recently rode on MPSS, MPS4S, Firehawk Indy 500s, and a porsche specific Pirelli P Zero back to back. My favorite was the indy 500 for a street driven tire, followed very closely by the mps4s, and then further down the list I liked the pirelli then mpss. The indy 500s and mps4s acted a lot better than the mpss, imo. It was a very noticeable difference, especially in terms of hot asphalt greasing them up. I think the PSS is a very dated tire. Still a wonderful street tire, but very dated compared to other offerings out there today.

Were all the tires the exact same size?
Very curious.

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
OZ and others have produced "split spoke" wheel designs that may look similar, but the Titan-7 design is an original one, is much lighter, and by being forged is by definition lighter and of higher quality. Have a close look and you'll see. Also, being application-specific rather than generic means the fitment offset is perfect without the need for a heavy spacer, which obviates the purpose of seeking a lightweight wheel and the attendant benefit of reducing unsprung and rotational mass.

https://titan-7.com

I have the same wheels on my NBM 5dr GTI. The color is called Satin Titanium, not Platinum. As much as I love my wheels, they're not manufactured in USA nor are they an original design. Not that it matters, but HRE, ADV, Vorsteiner, etc. all make similar designs of popular wheels. I used to have a set of HRE's on my previous car so I'm not knocking them at all. This particular set is very similar in design to BBS FI-R. Still love them though.