GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LIGHTWEIGHT Wheels

dmanb2b

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Alltrack
You can get 100% identical wheels to many of these companies that get them from China, chances are good you’ll even get them from the same manufacturing plant also if you go through alibaba… and for less than $2,300 esp in 18”, I got multiple quotes from a couple alibaba contacts and for 21x9s all custom and custom caps (like seen above) and after freight it was only 1500-1600 for the set. (They send you a catalog with like 100 designs to choose from, and they all are wheel designs you see from brands like bc forged, forgeline,hre,bbs,works) even more crazy - they will do all the Branding you want on the wheels for it to identically match say a bbs or work wheel down to the barrel sticker and all! They just ask you to say “these are my logos or brand names” 😂) But you don’t get a stateside company to go to should the wheel fail. 🤷🏼‍♂️

BUT with both of those what you won’t get is a wheel with actual JiL/JLL certifications (sure probably built to those same standards) just no real certs.
Yes, exactly. I could have easily gone the Alibaba route, but if something goes wrong I'd rather have a US address to deal with a return/warranty and ORT was very helpful in making sure I nailed down the spec. They paid for the cost of renditions and negotiated final shipping terms, and $2,300 is still a deal compared to the other US-based vendors.

beanbag

Car(s)
2018 Golf R
2024 bump to ask those of you with the Motegi MR146 17x8.5 ET42. I read that they "barely" clear the PP / R brakes, but what kind of gap are we talking about here? 2mm? 8mm?

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
2024 bump to ask those of you with the Motegi MR146 17x8.5 ET42. I read that they "barely" clear the PP / R brakes, but what kind of gap are we talking about here? 2mm? 8mm?
If they're anything like RPF1s, you're looking at 2-3mm. It's all about inner barrel design. Sorry, I don't have anything concrete to offer, other than *if* it is 2-3mm, I wouldn't daily them. I did, and the gap is small enough that the smallest pebbles will lodge themselves between the rim and caliper and let off a heinous grinding noise.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm going to need an 18 x 8 45mm to 55mm offset.

I want light and strong. What's out there?

khail19

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Usual suspects, Neuspeed, Apex, Enkei. Most of the Flow One wheels from Tire Rack are pretty light.

Unless you are going to go forged and spend some big bucks.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Usual suspects, Neuspeed, Apex, Enkei. Most of the Flow One wheels from Tire Rack are pretty light.

Unless you are going to go forged and spend some big bucks.
Super expensive isn't worth it for autocross wheels, so I'll take a look.

TheBlondeFella

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
I'm going to need an 18 x 8 45mm to 55mm offset.

I want light and strong. What's out there?
I've just ordered a set of Neuspeed RSe11R. 18 x 8.5 et45 from the UKs only Neupseed official supplier.

If you want a BBK friendly, light and strong track type wheel at very reasonable price, try a ProTrack One wheel. They're pretty much the wheel of choice for cars or very variety at the Nurburgring in Germany and you won't find a tougher track in the world than that. They work out at around £1200 for 4 wheels over here in the UK which is substantially cheaper than I had to pay to get a set of the Neuspeeds shipped here.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
I have a set of BBS RG-R 17x8s +35 Diamond Black that I absolutely love. I think they are a hair over 17lbs. They are 10-15 years old now and quite salty at this point though lots of little chips etc.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Has to be 18 x 8 +45 to 55.

That's the rules I'm working with.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Why do you want that much offset? Going to 35-40 will get them closer to flush.
Rules are +/- 5mm of stock. Plus +/- 1"diameter. Same width as stock.