GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LIGHTWEIGHT Wheels

luke23

Car(s)
No current car
if i were to go from the 15 inch lyon wheels to 17 inch, it would most likely be heavier so will i notice a worse ride ?

urtoinpo

Car(s)
2019 Variant 150 TSI
if i were to go from the 15 inch lyon wheels to 17 inch, it would most likely be heavier so will i notice a worse ride ?
In theory yes, 'everything' would be worse as the suspension/dampers/steering are given, (slightly) more work to do with the increased unsprung mass of a larger/heavier wheel/tyre combination. Also the car's acceleration and fuel economy will be marginally affected and not in a positive way.

In reality, you are not going to notice about the weight/mass element of it, but the ride will be made a bit harsher by a lower profile tyre, assuming all other factors being equal. However, the brand/model of tyre fitted will of course also make a difference to the ride quality and levels of road noise.

The easy-clean and lightweight, (only 6.8Kg each) 16" x 7J flow-formed Bini Revolite wheels I use have proven to be a very good and inexpensive option on the Golf for over a year now - but whatever wheel is chosen, choosing a tyre that is the right bias for your needs is important.

Attachments

• IMG_20201016_120843.jpg
    IMG_20201016_120843.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 91

Tiny1138

Car(s)
Mk7 GTI 3 Dr DSG PP
Hi. Which offset did you get, ET45? What difference did you notice in feel with the lighter weight and slightly wider 235’s? Cheers

urtoinpo

Car(s)
2019 Variant 150 TSI
No, I chose the ET 41 offset version, which combined with the 1/2 inch extra rim width over the original 6.5" wide VW alloys mean that they protrude outwards by just over 11mm and inboard by 1mm. This modest difference would go unnoticed by most, but does 'improve' the stance a little.
Also needed were spigot rings, 'cone seat' wheel bolts and new centre caps to suit.

Neither did I fit wider tyres, they are the same 205/55x16" size as the car came with, but a different brand and in an 'All-Season' tread/compound compared to the factory low-rolling resistance, but otherwise mediocre Michelins. I can't tell the difference in lower mass whilst driving, but the laws of physics decree there is an improvement.
The new tyres are grippier but have a higher rolling resistance rating, so any improvement in fuel economy hasn't been realized, but then neither have the MPG figures gotten worse since the change.

I very nearly spent the little extra on 215/55 size tyres to help the, (admittedly already good) ride still further, fill the arches a tad more and reduce the factory speedo error, but baulked at this as the car is still under warranty. Nevertheless, I will probably do that whenever the current set need replacement.