GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Let's talk brake pads

napadirt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 2DR PP MT, Macan
A forum member said the brakes on the Performance Pack are the same as the previous generation Golf R. I can't verify this.

But IF true then we might be able to install Mk6 Golf R brake pads on PP cars.

I have ZERO complaints on my cars brakes. I am more concerned about wear charactieristcs of the stock pads.

I installed Hawk HPS pads on my SVT Focus and have over 110k miles on them with a lot of compiund remaining and centric rotor surfaces look great. This conpound produces low brake dust and has good power and modulation.

Anyone know anything about the stock compound? Those of you with miles on your cars how are you brakes wearing?

http://www.neuspeed.com/264/4/0/2494/hkhb544f6282-hawk-brake-pads-rear.html

IceBerg4k1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI
The front calipers on the mk6 R are not the same as the front calipers on the Mk7 PP. The Mk7 PP fronts are the same as the Mk7 R and the S3. I know the rear pad wear on the Mk6 Rs is surprisingly bad and only last ~20k mi or something like that. I'm hoping my Mk7 PP doesn't suffer the same fate. I'm also curious to see if the Mk7 PP, R and S3 all use the same pad compounds/part #s.

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
IceBrerg is correct, not the same brakes as the MK6 in the front. Part of the reason the MK6 R rear brakes wear so fast is that the XDS is using them to work as an LSD for the rear Haldex differential. PP cars shouldn't have this problem as much but the XDS+ system in our car still brakes the rear inner wheel when turning hard.

I have yet to experience any fade with these brakes, even with a few hundred miles of aggressive mountainous driving. Now once I get this car on the track I'm sure I'll find a weakness after an entire day of beating on them non-stop. I do plan on putting SS lines, high temp fluid (ATE or Motul), 2pc slotted rotors all around and some better pads once companies start producing some of these parts for our cars.

Aftermarket pads are tricky, most guys who track their car swap the pads the day of an event as the heating cycle can be very dangerous when they are cold and make a ton of noise when stopping. Pads that don't make any noise typically don't have the initial bite your looking for in an aggressive pad, so there is always a trade off. I'm not a fan of EBC or Hawk products, they have disappointed me many times in the past and caused me near death experiences. Wait for some of the better brands to start making pads like Project Mu, Carbotech and Ferodo if your looking for a great pad upgrade.

MotorTrend even seems to think our stock brakes on the heavier MK7 R are better than the STI's multi piston Brembos...

"...our pro shoe Randy Pobst said. "With three tight hairpins, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca rewards braking and acceleration. This offers the possible explanation for the 1-second-plus-quicker Golf. It stopped very well, while the STI suffered significant fade... ""

"...but its 60-0 emergency stopping distance of 108 feet results in another tie. Although comparable in numbers to the STI, the Golf is dissimilar in feel and character. From its organic steering and linear turbo engine to its composed chassis and bulletproof brakes, the Golf R is mature, graceful..."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...015_subaru_wrx_sti_vs_2015_volkswagen_golf_r/

IceBerg4k1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Good point. I dismissed the AWD XDS as a factor there. I'm doing an HDPE event this fall so I'd love to know how the factory brakes hold up to track duty and if I need to consider an alternate pad set.