GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Let's Talk about Window Tint

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Those of you that tint your windshields: do you not have state inspection stickers?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

Mk7tsi3door

Go Kart Newbie
Anybody tint it themselves? II’ve got a question about the “dots” that go around the outside of the rear windows.... how did you make it look good!
I tried before but the tint would not stick to the dots and left a silvery ring along where the tint was not attached to the surface, looks terrible, I’ve read you can put a small line of paint or vinyl along where the dots are, anybody have any suggestions?

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
Anybody tint it themselves? II’ve got a question about the “dots” that go around the outside of the rear windows.... how did you make it look good!
I tried before but the tint would not stick to the dots and left a silvery ring along where the tint was not attached to the surface, looks terrible, I’ve read you can put a small line of paint or vinyl along where the dots are, anybody have any suggestions?

I would never attempt to tint myself, its a small price to pay for having a professional who does it everyday.

I'm wondering if anyone has taken into consideration the 70% factory tint on the windows when getting tinted to be within legal limits? My state is 35% all around and if I just get 35% all around it will actually be in the 20's I believe and illegal

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
I would never attempt to tint myself, its a small price to pay for having a professional who does it everyday.

I'm wondering if anyone has taken into consideration the 70% factory tint on the windows when getting tinted to be within legal limits? My state is 35% all around and if I just get 35% all around it will actually be in the 20's I believe and illegal

My guy used 38 and said it would pass. I haven't checked it with a tint meter though.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I got 38% ceramic pinnacle all around. Looks great and the heat rejection is really good.

I have the vw oem sunshade kit in the rear windows and hatch making it appear blacked out in the back. I like it, some don't, my gti is white.

I regret not getting my windshield done in 70 or whatever the lightest this tint goes is. Probably going to go back and have that done.

My used GTI came with a fairly light tint...maybe 40%. I put the oem sunshade on the hatch window and it looks perfect. You can still see thru, maybe comparable to a 20 or 25% tint but the mesh effect of the shade adds a lot of privacy. I've seen people checking out the hatch trying to figure out what it is lol

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid

Depends how picky the cops are in your area. Here in Wisconsin the front max is 50% and the rear is 35, but people drive around with blacked out windows all the time and never seem to get pulled over.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
Depends how picky the cops are in your area. Here in Wisconsin the front max is 50% and the rear is 35, but people drive around with blacked out windows all the time and never seem to get pulled over.

Yea, I’ve been pulled over enough not to risk it. Would suck paying all that money for tint and then get a fix it ticket and pay more to remove.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Yea, I’ve been pulled over enough not to risk it. Would suck paying all that money for tint and then get a fix it ticket and pay more to remove.
Not sure about where you live, but you can check with the shops. In my area most will offer an additional "insurance" for 50 bucks for just this issue. They'll detint for the ticket and retint for free, mine also lets me go lighter or darker on the fronts at any time if I want at no additional cost as well.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
Not sure about where you live, but you can check with the shops. In my area most will offer an additional "insurance" for 50 bucks for just this issue. They'll detint for the ticket and retint for free, mine also lets me go lighter or darker on the fronts at any time if I want at no additional cost as well.

ehh, that is nice to have for sure but I’d rather not have the ticket on my record, that crap never goes away and available for public to view

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
ehh, that is nice to have for sure but I’d rather not have the ticket on my record, that crap never goes away and available for public to view
Ah, out here it's just a fix it ticket. You have to go and have your vehicle looked over by local law enforcement and signed off on. Same as if you had a broken tail light.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Ah, out here it's just a fix it ticket. You have to go and have your vehicle looked over by local law enforcement and signed off on. Same as if you had a broken tail light.

In AZ cops won't give a ticket for illegal tint unless they have stopped you for something else.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
In AZ cops won't give a ticket for illegal tint unless they have stopped you for something else.
Out here it's the premise they'll stop you on if they think they'll find something else, at least sometimes. Generally for wasting their time they'll give you a fix it ticket and be done.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit

Yea, but those tickets still go into the system. They have to in order for them to find it and check it off after looking over the car. Anything that goes into the system stays there even if there is no fine and available for public view. When I was younger I got one because I didn't have my license on me, left wallet at home, all I had to do was go to the ticket counter and show them I had a license and there would be no fine. That still shows up in the system. I've called about getting it removed and was told anything you get a ticket for even if its a "fix it" and no fine is put in the system, no one can remove anything from the system like it never happened.

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S

I did 45% Xpel Prime XR all around, which I thought of as the safest bet. It measures out to 46% by itself according to their spec sheet, and if the factory windows measure at 70% on the dot then you end up with a 32% tint. In NC, that will pass inspection. Unfortunately we get tint-metered at every yearly inspection in NC.

If you're curious about the windshield, I would definitely tread carefully with that. It seems to measure at exactly 70% from the factory. I went with a 70% tint on the full windshield and I was surprised at how dark it turned out compared to the same tint on one of my previous car's windshield.