GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Leaking oil from fill cap

thorton0

Passed Driver's Ed
I have searched. Most people have some seepage. I have leakage. I have probably lost 1/2 a quart of oil in a couple days. It is leaking out the fill cap and down the engine and dripping on the ground.
So this issue just started a couple days ago. I did my last oil change about 2 weeks ago. The oil level is in the ok part of the dipstick. I do not know what would be causing this much pressure. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
Check the oil cap seal first, if it looks fine start the engine, pull out the dipstick, do you feel vacuum, does the idle speed increase? If not it’s probably a bad air/oil separator or excessive blow by.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Leaking oil caps have been a known issue. Likely just needs a new one. Mine does it somewhat (1.8) and I actually just put an o-ring on it and it stopped.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Do you have a link to the specific O-ring you used?

Leaking oil caps have been a known issue. Likely just needs a new one. Mine does it somewhat (1.8) and I actually just put an o-ring on it and it stopped.

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
PTFE tape. Teflon tape around the oil filter threads a couple times. Tried the oring and it did not stop it only slowed it down. Got a new oil filler cap and it still leaked. Telling you Teflon tape is cheap and actually works

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
Viton[emoji2400]/FKM O-ring 44 x 2mm Price for 1 pc .90¢

The aforementioned o-ring

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

thorton0

Passed Driver's Ed
thanks for the replies.
so I finally figured out that 2 of the tabs that the oil cap screws to are broken. I think I will need to change the upper timing cover.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
thanks for the replies.
so I finally figured out that 2 of the tabs that the oil cap screws to are broken. I think I will need to change the upper timing cover.

How would you guess that happened? Who else works on your car?