GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Leaking door seal?

dlaunde

Go Kart Newbie
Hey all,

2019 Golf R. I've noticed that after heavy rain or washing my car, there is water pooled up in the circled area of the back passenger door.

It appears water is getting between the rubber seal on the door and the rubber seal on the car but I cannot find a cause. Both seals are in place and match what the other days look like. Can't find any cuts or holes, either.

Most of the time it is not an issue internally. But sometimes when washing the car the water must hit just right that a little bit of water does leak past both rubber seals and gets the inside door trim/upper carpet area wet. Nothing drastic. But want to see what I can check/look for to try fixing this.

Any ideas or tips?
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0303.jpg
    IMG_0303.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 125

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Water leaks are about as fun to find as electrical shorts. That said, I did see what looks like a small crack in the rubber in the seal, just above the R logo on the sill. That may, or may not, be the spot where water is seeping through. I'd also check out all of the upper seal area, as it's not uncommon for water to enter way up on top and then work its way down. My 2 cents.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Had the exact same problem in the same place in my GTI last month. Dealer ended up replacing the rubber seals around the door under warranty (twice, apparently; first set of new seals was defective somehow and didn’t correct it.)

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

HalfGerman

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
My old '04 Passat had a leak like that. Aluminum panel bolted and sealed to inner part of door and the foam gasket had failed allowing water to enter car over the threshold. Fixed with butyl rubber ( 3M window weld) like in the link ZERO815 gave. (y)