GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just Clowning Around

clownish

just clowning around
Updates. Seats are in, airbag error still going off because I didn't bother trying to vag comming it out yet. Didn't get to harness bar and harnesses yet either. Because the car has been on jackstands for about 3 weeks. Lots of miscellaneous maintenance that I've nerded out on by creating a jira project. Testing using jira for this paperweight in my garage because I bought a ton of parts and will henceforth be doing nothing related to spending money on anything else on myself this summer.

I had half stockpiled the parts to build my engine when a killer deal got posted. 7 minutes after it was posted I was sliding into DMs and bought everything possible. Built engine, all accessories, G25-660, accusump, surge tank, most of the fueling, syvec - the whole shebang. We'll see if it actually does just plug and play later this summer. This whole thing came out of a awd converted gti shell but let's see how it does with this first. While this 2nd engine arrives I'll finish the maintenance on the original engine - so that I can put it into storage for eternity, hopefully.

If anyone knows of a good syvec tuner on the east coast, I'm all ears. I'm familiar with it and have played with the software, but I'd like an expert to actually do the dyno tunes.

Last edited:

clownish

just clowning around
Parts showed up. Plan is to evaluate needs, try to anticipate any of the little bs that always holds up a full weekend marathon, and then end of the month or early Fall slam it out. The crate engine looks good; cursory glance at the bolt-on parts and invoices for the engine build.

[*[some small damage to the fancy baffled oil pan; doesn't even show up in photos
[*]major dmg to the oil filter, which will obviously be replaced
[*]034 billet RMS
[*]catch can set up
[*]IE intake manifold
[*]aftermarket throttle body- pretty sure the larger size does nothing based on the last few years of people trying, but who knows
[*]IE fuel rail; nice little gauge on it - return system uses both port and direct injectors
[*]giant 8bcv500cc 850mm EEV14 port injectors
[*]g25-660 with .72 and alternate .92 housings
[*]claimed e70/91 tunes on syvecs - harness needs repinned
[*]accusump set up - has the nice electronic controller but also a damaged gauge
[*]homebrew intake, dp connector
[*]need charge piping fabbed
[*]surge tank - nice little set up; probably have to fab some mounts for it

Check out this ridiculously large 5inch intake with a 7inch filter. Gunna power it candy white.

Attachments

• IMG_3708.jpeg
    IMG_3708.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_3722.jpeg
    IMG_3722.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3709.jpeg
    IMG_3709.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_3719.jpeg
    IMG_3719.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3714.jpeg
    IMG_3714.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3713.jpeg
    IMG_3713.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_3712.jpeg
    IMG_3712.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3710.jpeg
    IMG_3710.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_3720.jpeg
    IMG_3720.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 101

zrickety

The Fixer
Parts showed up. Plan is to evaluate needs, try to anticipate any of the little bs that always holds up a full weekend marathon, and then end of the month or early Fall slam it out. The crate engine looks good; cursory glance at the bolt-on parts and invoices for the engine build.

[*[some small damage to the fancy baffled oil pan; doesn't even show up in photos
[*]major dmg to the oil filter, which will obviously be replaced
[*]034 billet RMS
[*]catch can set up
[*]IE intake manifold
[*]aftermarket throttle body- pretty sure the larger size does nothing based on the last few years of people trying, but who knows
[*]IE fuel rail; nice little gauge on it - return system uses both port and direct injectors
[*]giant 8bcv500cc 850mm EEV14 port injectors
[*]g25-660 with .72 and alternate .92 housings
[*]claimed e70/91 tunes on syvecs - harness needs repinned
[*]accusump set up - has the nice electronic controller but also a damaged gauge
[*]homebrew intake, dp connector
[*]need charge piping fabbed
[*]surge tank - nice little set up; probably have to fab some mounts for it

Check out this ridiculously large 5inch intake with a 7inch filter. Gunna power it candy white.
Looks great!

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Updates. Seats are in, airbag error still going off because I didn't bother trying to vag comming it out yet. Didn't get to harness bar and harnesses yet either. Because the car has been on jackstands for about 3 weeks. Lots of miscellaneous maintenance that I've nerded out on by creating a jira project. Testing using jira for this paperweight in my garage because I bought a ton of parts and will henceforth be doing nothing related to spending money on anything else on myself this summer.

I had half stockpiled the parts to build my engine when a killer deal got posted. 7 minutes after it was posted I was sliding into DMs and bought everything possible. Built engine, all accessories, G25-660, accusump, surge tank, most of the fueling, syvec - the whole shebang. We'll see if it actually does just plug and play later this summer. This whole thing came out of a awd converted gti shell but let's see how it does with this first. While this 2nd engine arrives I'll finish the maintenance on the original engine - so that I can put it into storage for eternity, hopefully.

If anyone knows of a good syvec tuner on the east coast, I'm all ears. I'm familiar with it and have played with the software, but I'd like an expert to actually do the dyno tunes.
Damn I shoulda used Jira or something similar to keep track of mine. Also this sounds pretty similar to what i'm running as well, except yours seems a bit more fancy. You gonna do a bigger in tank LPFP or do you think the surge tank will cover you? Also planning on running any E or just regular pump gas. Power goals?

clownish

just clowning around
The only reused part on this is supposedly the alternator. IE rods, JE pistons, ARP hardware Supertech valves, springs etc. I've been tracking your build updates with interest - I short-circuited the engine build a bit because I had started buying parts, then this deal came up. So now I have 2 engines. But way more tuning than I had initially wanted.

I'll try out some corn - its readily available at pumps around Ohio and its tuned to e70 not 85 to make up for any variations. Supposedly it was running perfectly when pulled, so theoretically i can pull the old and plug everything in and it should work. I had questions about using a bigger intake LPFP also - I figured we''d run it and see. Claims of 450 whp on e70 @ 27psi. There's a lower 91 tune also loaded - I'd be happy with over 550 at peak with a normal tune around 450-500. Mid 400 is probably the most reasonable amount - I am already looking at LSDs because even on a 100 octane k04 I lose a lot of traction.

I'll send a screenshot of my jira project later - still trying to wrap things up so I can take off of work this afternoon.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Yeah i'm shooting for 500-600, mainly depending on what the trans can handle as i've heard over 525 it gets a little iffy. I think you'll have no issue at all getting mid 400s, with that fueling setup you could probably max out that turbo, just may need the bigger lpfp.

clownish

just clowning around
Makes sense. I am worried about my trans - as in, should I take on another little project while the motor is out and just do it all? It's not that much problem to drop it but... I dunno. It would be easier with a lift. I'd feel better knowing there's a shop around here confident in cracking open DSGs and reinforcing them, but no one is. The closest is around Pittsburgh.
68088831674__E06ED8B0-0F51-49B2-8A13-57080EE54F4D.jpeg

My jira project for the heap. About 30 tasks so far. I also have a very extensive spreadsheet which I'm not going to link because it has contact info and prices and other stuff like.
Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 11.46.58 AM.png

Last edited:

clownish

just clowning around
Build pushed into this mid-summer due to house renos and waiting on a shop being built. Considering lithium batteries because I am so tired of messing around with my 3 year old battery dying every year even though I trickle charge it and start the car regularly in storage.

zrickety

The Fixer
If you still have an extra engine lying around and want to sell it, shoot me a message.

clownish

just clowning around
I don't want to sell the stock engine but I do have new timing components if you're interested. I think it was the FCP kit, plus some OEM stuff from the dealer and the metal timing cover from Uro. Might have a few other pieces of unused OEM stuff I got that I stored in case I needed.

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
G25-660 wow. I want to do a 550, but its so many mods to support it that I can't just pull the trigger that easily.
What's the progress brah? Also the images from previous pages won't load - do you have any pics of the car for me to see?

Last edited:

clownish

just clowning around
I haven't really taken any pictures - pretty lazy about it. The built motor is still waiting for lift time/my time.. i've repinned the ECU harness back to my engine code and just waiting for a good weekend.

My car looks stock except for the brakes and wheels, basically. There's not a lot I'd want to do cosmetically so that I can street drive it without attracting a ton of attention. I'll try and find some pictures - ever since tapatalk support died i haven't bothered uploading many photos.

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
What's the process for taking out a motor? Do you need to take out the front bumper assembly?
My understanding is:
1. Disconnect axles
2. Undo downpipe (or turbo)
3. Drop Subframe
4. Undo Transmission
5. Undo hoses and wires
6. Motor delete

clownish

just clowning around
It is 1000% easier to drop a golf into "service position" by just removing the entire front core. You have all the room for activities for minimal additional labor. Especially if you're not on a lift.

I will always choose ease of access and not having to spend additional time/flex tools whatever trying to squeeze into tight spaces if i can help it. Part of the reason why I waited so long to start this was getting the block of time on a lift, indoors, where we can spread out everything and take the time. cleaning parts before putting them back on, replacing anything, adding on any cosmetic things like beauty bolts, or maybe deleting items from the engine bay etc.

Id get a bently manual over anything else if you dont have other resources. If you're serious about doing it - heres a decent guide to start with - https://workshop-manuals.com/volksw...moving_and_installing_engine/removing_engine/