GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Issue with removing spark plug - something concerning possibly found

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
Just tried to put in a new set of plugs and upon removing the 3rd plug I couldn't get the socket to grab the plug. After messing around too much with it I pug a light upto it and I found a strange blockage formed around the plug. I have included pics.. Anybody have any idea what this is or what could have caused it?

Thanks!

IMG_1340.JPG
IMG_1350.JPG
IMG_1351.JPG

khail19

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
One time (on a different vehicle), the rubber part of my spark plug socket stayed on the plug and I couldn't get the coil boot to fit back on. Took me a minute to figure out what had happened. I invested in a magnetic socket so I don't do that again.

Make sure your coil that came from that cylinder is in good shape. Maybe part of it broke off and is down there still?

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
You got a close up focus lol? I cant really see anything. Only thing I can imagine getting down there is oil and sealant from the cam cover.
Lol i'll take a better pic of it tomorrow. I ordered a heavy duty pick set to try to dislodge it somehow, it will arrive tomorrow. Hopefully I can get that squared out.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Lol i'll take a better pic of it tomorrow. I ordered a heavy duty pick set to try to dislodge it somehow, it will arrive tomorrow. Hopefully I can get that squared out.
Harbor Freight also has the little medical grabby scissor guys... I forget what they're called. But they might be a viable solution, IF it's a soft material. Or at least, something you can fidget with to see if you can determine what you're up against.

e: https://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-locking-clamp-94952.html these guys I forget what they're called but they might help.

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
Just took another stab at it with a new pick set but they ended up being too big to move around in the spark plug hole. But, I was able to at least find out that it is a rubber piece(have no idea how it got there), and it is removable If I can reach it with the right tool. Just ordered a shorter pick set that will be here tomorrow, hopefully it will work!

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Harbor Freight also has the little medical grabby scissor guys... I forget what they're called. But they might be a viable solution, IF it's a soft material. Or at least, something you can fidget with to see if you can determine what you're up against.

e: https://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-locking-clamp-94952.html these guys I forget what they're called but they might help.
https://www.mystethoscope.com/strai...html?msclkid=73a06828359e11acebef0d9ccffc93bd

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
Finally got it out! I had to break it into chunks before it would get dislodged, but I snapped a pic of the biggest piece. No idea how it got in there, nor how it wrapped itself around the spark plug so snuggly. But it was a bitch to get out……stabbed it into chunks with a long pick and took the big pieces out then blew out the rest with compressed air.

Attachments

• IMG_1354.jpeg
    IMG_1354.jpeg
    881.4 KB · Views: 38

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I had something similar happen to a 2.5. I could not figure out why the socket wasn't fitting over the sparkplug. So I ended up getting a pair of long needle nose pliers to see if i can turn or move the plug. It turned out that the metal core of the coilpack got stuck on the insulator part of the plug. Once removed...the socket was able to fit over the plug.