GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS38 turbo off s3

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
What am I missing why isn't anyone buying an is38 I am negotiable

I think the problem is not many people want to go through the trouble of installing a turbo with fairly high mileage, regardless of the price.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Gotcha but I've seen plenty sold fast with more mileage from shadier people lol. No worries one day
I think that scenario plays a big part in the timeline though.
In the last year, IHI seems to have drastically dropped their price for the is38 (I’m sure it’s due to the fact that the contract is up with VW for the next platform of mk8s)

So now it’s a dime a Dozen to pick up a brand new IHI is38 with a warranty for under 1k complete... spending an extra 400-500 bucks for many to have the piece of mind with it being new and warrantied is prob a drop in the bucket now.

Also I’m sure it don’t help that getting into a hybrid is not as expensive as it used to be is shrinking the market for users wanting to go with just a standard 38.

GLWS - market value for a high mileage 38 is probably more in the range of 350-400 in 2021.

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
A year ago I paid $800 for one with like 5k miles on it and only paid that much because it was local and I could look at it myself. There were other, similar, turbos available for slightly less money. Unless I actually knew the person/reputation of the person selling the used turbo, there's no chance I'd have bought it unless it was an absolute steal. When you say you've seen others for sale by "far shadier people", while you know yourself and know that you're not shady, that's not exactly outwardly obvious to someone shopping used turbos. Personally, I was willing to roll the dice a little because I was doing the work myself. But, for someone who isn't, there's also the risk of having to do the labor twice.

I hope you sell it for a price that makes you happy, and that the buyer gets a turbo that works for them. But, when looking at pricey used parts that require a lot of labor, you're looking for someone who is willing to roll the dice. You might actually have better luck when it warms up and there are more people out working on their cars themselves in the garage.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Also no actuator so added cost for the buyer.

If someone was upgrading from an IS20, they could just transfer their actuator over, could they not?

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
If they want the joy of setting an IS20 actuator, sure. (y)
This is kind of a bitch to do. But, to any potential buyers out there, you can rig a version of the CTS cable (https://www.ctsturbo.com/product/cts-turbo-gen3-wastegate-actuator-extension-harness/) with jumpers that lets you adjust it before the turbo is installed. Or just buy the cable. There's also a DAP video out there where he adjusts it with the turbo installed, so it's possible. But, it's definitely tight in there.