GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS38 concerns with 5MT

regularassgolf

Car(s)
MK7 Golf 1.8t
Recently went APR stage 1 and have been very satisfied with the large power increase. I've been considering swapping to is38 but have heard stories of blown 5mts from the increased torque. I could go is20 but I'm not sure I want to spend upwards of 3k for the turbo and new clutch for only a ~40whp increase. What would be your guys recommendation? Would it be possible to go is38 but limit the torque to ~300lbft so I still have the high end power I'm looking for without worrying about blowing the transmission?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Recently went APR stage 1 and have been very satisfied with the large power increase. I've been considering swapping to is38 but have heard stories of blown 5mts from the increased torque. I could go is20 but I'm not sure I want to spend upwards of 3k for the turbo and new clutch for only a ~40whp increase. What would be your guys recommendation? Would it be possible to go is38 but limit the torque to ~300lbft so I still have the high end power I'm looking for without worrying about blowing the transmission?

I’d say just swap a is38, clutch, and LSD equipped 02Q 6MT all at once.

Sticker shock maybe, but where else are you getting a 30mpg 350hp practical daily driver?

regularassgolf

Car(s)
MK7 Golf 1.8t
I’d say just swap a is38, clutch, and LSD equipped 02Q 6MT all at once.

Sticker shock maybe, but where else are you getting a 30mpg 350hp practical daily driver?
Thanks, I think this is the route I'll go. The closer gear ratios of the 6-speed are also very appealing.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
I was driving behind @MeltedSolid Is20 5-spd TSI when the transmission blew. You're just not safe on anything more than a IS12 with the 5-spd. Go with what Jake said, buy once - cry once. You'll be dropping the transmission for a clutch job anyways.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
As someone who swapped in a GTI 6 speed. I did it because I have attachment issues and me and the Golf are in it til the end.

But rationally, sell it, get a GTI & just do a Vortex or IS38. That is unless you're doing the work yourself.

The 6 speed is $2k at least used. You'll need GTI vacuum pump, axles etc which is another $500 easy.
Labor is $2k. You're at $4500 just to replace transmission.

Could you sell your car, apply that $4500 towards a GTI & come out even. Of you get the eLSD, you won't have to do the LSD either.

Otherwise, I would stay stage 1.

And for what is worth, I liked the gearing of the 5 speed more & the GTI 6 speed is not geared much lower.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
It's totally possible with a custom tune, and even the off the shelf tunes keep the torque with an IS38 pretty low due to the 1.8's more limited fueling. APR's not going to do a custom tune that lowers the torque for you, but there are a few people out there that could make you tunes keeping it under 300ftlbs. Now in days you could even do it yourself with open source tuning. IMO any torque level that would cause clutch slip on the stock 5 speed clutch is also one that would blow up the 5 speed, so going that route I would recommend keeping the stock clutch too.

Of course, saying all that I do not regret my 6 speed swap. $2-2.5k in parts for a bullet proof transmission with better ratios (I got a mk6 6 speed, so super close ratios). I just got another one recently and will be selling mine due to bolt hole compatibility with the bevel boxes. Going price is around $900 for the transmission, plus clutch and misc parts puts you in the above range. Adding a wavetrac is about $1700 for parts and labor (new trans is currently in the shop getting this done lol). It's an expensive pill to swallow, not as bad back when GTIs were still going for over $20k used, but now the price difference from a base golf is a lot less.

regularassgolf

Car(s)
MK7 Golf 1.8t
It's totally possible with a custom tune, and even the off the shelf tunes keep the torque with an IS38 pretty low due to the 1.8's more limited fueling. APR's not going to do a custom tune that lowers the torque for you, but there are a few people out there that could make you tunes keeping it under 300ftlbs. Now in days you could even do it yourself with open source tuning. IMO any torque level that would cause clutch slip on the stock 5 speed clutch is also one that would blow up the 5 speed, so going that route I would recommend keeping the stock clutch too.

Of course, saying all that I do not regret my 6 speed swap. $2-2.5k in parts for a bullet proof transmission with better ratios (I got a mk6 6 speed, so super close ratios). I just got another one recently and will be selling mine due to bolt hole compatibility with the bevel boxes. Going price is around $900 for the transmission, plus clutch and misc parts puts you in the above range. Adding a wavetrac is about $1700 for parts and labor (new trans is currently in the shop getting this done lol). It's an expensive pill to swallow, not as bad back when GTIs were still going for over $20k used, but now the price difference from a base golf is a lot less.
Custom tune sounds like an attractive option until I can afford to swap in a 6 speed + lsd. Hate the open diff.
And for what is worth, I liked the gearing of the 5 speed more & the GTI 6 speed is not geared much lower.
My main problem with the 5 speed gearing is that you have to rev the nuts off it to keep it even relatively high in the powerband. With the is12 it's not a big issue but for anything bigger I can't imagine dropping below 4k rpm with every shift being very helpful
But rationally, sell it, get a GTI & just do a Vortex or IS38
Definitely the smarter option but I can't get myself to sell it now haha

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Custom tune sounds like an attractive option until I can afford to swap in a 6 speed + lsd. Hate the open diff.

My main problem with the 5 speed gearing is that you have to rev the nuts off it to keep it even relatively high in the powerband. With the is12 it's not a big issue but for anything bigger I can't imagine dropping below 4k rpm with every shift being very helpful

Definitely the smarter option but I can't get myself to sell it now haha

Boost threshold on even IS38 is 3000rpm, so it'll be fine. I ran IS38 on 5spd & 6spd. 6spd gearing is long too. 2nd gear is good for 75mph. 3rd is 105+ (not sure exactly). 4th is 145 or so.

I hear you about can't getting yourself to sell. When I blew my 5spd, it was get a 6spd along with a new LSD & all the fixins or put it back to stock, sell and get a GTI or R. Too attached and here we are.