GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is the DSG still one of the best?

Xdpker

Ready to race!
The DSG is touted as one of the best DCTs, right up there with the PDK. I recently drove my friend's brand new GLA250 and while the car isn't as quick as the GTI, I thought the transmission was a lot better. The shifts were quicker and smoother under any circumstance. You know how you have to learn the behavior of the DSG to optimize the shifts? I felt none of that with the Mercedes DCT. I could click up or down at will and the shifts were instantaneous, half throttle, full throttle, braking, etc. Have the other manufacturers caught up to VW and the DSG is now merely average?

wlfpck

Ready to race!
A lot of things go into the shift programming. Just because you click the paddle or bump the shifter up/down doesn't mean there is a pure 100% mechanical connection.

The DSG tune will help out with the shift times. Keep in mind that not everyone who buys a automatic GTI is going to be hitting track days and doing 40 mph rolls everyday. The OEM DSG tune is made for comfort/smoothness.

Parameters such as current speed, whether or not you're accelerating, how fast you're accelerating, etc. will/can impact your up shift.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Is the DCT in a LaFerrari or 918 better? Sure. The DSG is as good as it gets for affordable rides and I’d say a huge bargain in a $25000 one.

Xdpker

Ready to race!
A lot of things go into the shift programming. Just because you click the paddle or bump the shifter up/down doesn't mean there is a pure 100% mechanical connection.

The DSG tune will help out with the shift times. Keep in mind that not everyone who buys a automatic GTI is going to be hitting track days and doing 40 mph rolls everyday. The OEM DSG tune is made for comfort/smoothness.

Parameters such as current speed, whether or not you're accelerating, how fast you're accelerating, etc. will/can impact your up shift.

Yes, I know current speed, pedal position etc will impact shift times in the DSG. The dsg tune definitely helps but that's 600 dollars. I'm just saying stock for stock, the Mercedes dct was better under more conditions.

Is the DCT in a LaFerrari or 918 better? Sure. The DSG is as good as it gets for affordable rides and I’d say a huge bargain in a $25000 one.

Apples to oranges. That's not really a fair comparison... The laferrari is a multi million dollar car. The purchase price of the GLA is close to an Autobahn/ golf r.

The price point of the two are similar enough to be compared.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
I think the 8DCT developed by Honda is better than the DSG when comparing stock for stock. However the DSG has way more potential and can handle more power than the 8DCT.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I wouldn't be surprised if dual clutch transmissions go away entirely within the next 10 years or so.

They're getting fast enough shifts with newer Corvettes so I agree.

Perhaps it's tine to bring back multi-torque converter transmissions.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
I wouldn't be surprised if dual clutch transmissions go away entirely within the next 10 years or so.

Well Volkswagen did kill development of the 10 speed DSG. Honda, Ford, and GM's 10 speed automatic all seem to be pretty good thus far. Mercedes is killing it with the 9 speed automatic. Aisin's 8 speed automatic (tuned by Polestar) sounds pretty amazing on paper too.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
The DSG annoys me with how much it clacks on upshifts and downshifts, but I think it's still a great transmission.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
The DSG is touted as one of the best DCTs, right up there with the PDK. I recently drove my friend's brand new GLA250 and while the car isn't as quick as the GTI, I thought the transmission was a lot better. The shifts were quicker and smoother under any circumstance. You know how you have to learn the behavior of the DSG to optimize the shifts? I felt none of that with the Mercedes DCT. I could click up or down at will and the shifts were instantaneous, half throttle, full throttle, braking, etc. Have the other manufacturers caught up to VW and the DSG is now merely average?

The one in the BMW M2 I drove at the BMW Perf. Driving School a few years back was definitively in a class NOTICEABLY above VW's.

AAK1992

Passed Driver's Ed
The ZF auto in the new ZL1 Camaro is insanely good, allegedly a few milliseconds faster than a Porsche PDK, but either way they're parity at this point...

I agree with others that in the next 5-10 years the dual clutch will be gone, it was a stop gap measure. Fuel efficient cars will get CVTs (Honda's is fantastic), and performance cars will likely retain the torque converters.

adam1991

Banned
Did you just use Honda and "fantastic transmission" in the same sentence?

Well, doesn't matter anyway. Their new turbo engines are self-destructing. It's almost as if they're jealous of the V6 with VCM.

AAK1992

Passed Driver's Ed
Did you just use Honda and "fantastic transmission" in the same sentence?

Well, doesn't matter anyway. Their new turbo engines are self-destructing. It's almost as if they're jealous of the V6 with VCM.

Lol yeah hard to believe since their 3.0 V6 days, but their CVT in the current accords/civics is absolutely the best iteration of a CVT I've tried in the industry IMO. Subaru's CVTs are absolute crap, Ford's dry clutch DCT was garbage, Nissan's CVTs are unreliable, and Toyota was still using that ancient 4 speed auto in some Corollas until recently and their CVT is still not as smooth as the Honda.

Didn't hear about the turbo issues, is it the 1.8L?

Litespeedgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI S DSG
Continue to be very impressed with accuracy, quickness an seamless shifts. Never have liked the programming that shifts WAY too early to 6th gear but realize that this was done for the fuel economy target.I ALWAYS use the paddles in traffic. One day I might get APR ECU tune to go with my APR ECU tune.