GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is my subframe shifting??

TheContender09

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
For the about the last two months now I’ve been having this weird feeling with the front end of my car. It feels like the the front is floating at high speed and my steering feels WAY too light when driving. Feels like my alignment is off. The car sways side to side like the a wheel is about to fall off. I’ve double checked all the wheels and checked the torque on the wheel lugs. All are great. But when on a slight hill from a stand still start before the car even moves a foot forward you can feel the suspension shift to the right. Then it drives forward with me correcting the steering. I took it to an alignment shop and they told me it was fine. Can anyone help? Do I need the Tyrol sport subframe locking kit? Or is it something else??

Last edited:

RabbitTwo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
For the about the last two months now I’ve been having this weird feeling with the front end of my car. It feels like the the front is floating at high speed and my steering feels WAY too light when driving. Feels like my alignment is off. The car sways side to side like the a wheel is about to fall off. I’ve double checked all the wheels and checked the torque on the wheel lugs. All are great. But when on a slight hill from a stand still start before the car even moves a foot forward you can feel the suspension shift to the right. Then it drives forward with me correcting the steering. I took it to an alignment shop and they told me it was fine. Can anyone help? Do I need the Tyrol sport subframe locking kit? Or is it something else??
Do a subframe alignment kit and new subframe bolts. What you are describing is a common issue with these cars.

Mike16GTI

Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Find a shop that understands alignment. This rule out most shops right off the top, sorry. My car was hit in the front and shop stated multiple times alignment was spot on, back and forth, couldn't get them to fix. It just drove a bit weird, like it wanted to nibble side to side at speed. Also, had a clunk/knock in the rear that wasn't there before a guy drove into my GTI. Short story, ended up at a shop I knew that understood alignment and suspension after a couple of months of back and forth.

Rear clunk/knock was from bolt other shop loosened to adjust rear suspension and did not get tight enough and alignment had lots of negative camber on one side up front and was at 0 on other side. Shop corrected, got them both right (don't have print out in front of me) and car drives like a different car, i.e., like it drove before it got messed up.

Of course, your front struts could be near shot also. Just something to think about.