GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intermittent Power Golf 2015 MK7 R

huphuphuppi

Car(s)
Golf MK7 R, MK7 TDI
Hey Everyone,

I bought 2nd hand Golf MK7 R back in May, ever since I've been trying to figure out what is wrong with it - most of the time it feels low on power when compared to my daily MK7 2.0 TDI.

Then sometimes it REALLY wants to go (I would call this normal).

What I'm noticing:
  • Power is normal directly after starting (warm or cold)
  • Reduced exhaust noise when low on power
  • I have an upgraded intake and elbow - can clearly hear the air getting sucked in when normal, it's quieter when low on power
  • Shifting isn't "precise" when low on power and accelerating. Shifting is precise and works like a dream when normal power
  • Goes into this "low power mode" after driving straight ahead for a random period
  • Power comes back when harder braking and cornering, or sometimes when I accelerated from a standstill in to a corner
  • Randomly the car is normal as well, noticed it sticks around longer when it is cold outside (below ~17C or 60F)
  • Happens in all modes (comfort, normal and sport)
Done so far:
  • Re-installed the factory intake (no difference)
  • OEM PCV replaced
  • OEM Waterpump and housing replaced
  • GFB DV+ diverter and new OEM diverter valve
  • Cleaned intake valves
  • Replaced Spark plugs
  • Checked the turbo actuator adjustment (3.74V)
  • New Haldex pump
  • new N80 valve
  • Checked DSG oil level and ran all adaptions (no errors)
  • Ran turbo and throttle body alignment
  • NO ECU or TCU errors
  • I don't believe it had a tune (ECU and TCU flashed in 2015, year of manufacture)
    • I want to get a tune, but not until I've resolved this issue!?
I have a VCDS cable and software, would appreciate if anyone has an idea where I should look to now? This is keeping me up at night :(
- Any actuators or sensors I should replace
- Possible faulty part to look at
- What I should log during a drive that might pinpoint the issue?

Thank you in advance - Tim

huphuphuppi

Car(s)
Golf MK7 R, MK7 TDI

huphuphuppi

Car(s)
Golf MK7 R, MK7 TDI
Sounds like it could be a case of heat soak and varying fuel quality to me
Hi Swifty,
I'm always using Shell 98. I did log the intake temperature once and it was about the same power or no power :-(
Your comment is leading me close to my next suspicions though (low pressure fuel pump or something going wonky on the intake end)
I've ordered the dongle diggs suggested (2 weeks eta) - hopefully better logs than VCDS.
Thanks for your suggestion.

huphuphuppi

Car(s)
Golf MK7 R, MK7 TDI
Hi Diggs,
I've just received the dongle, but I think it migh be DOA - it flashes red once shortly on power (usb or car). I can connect WIFI and use SavvyCan. Send it back or reflash it? What do you think?

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
First install driver on PC:

https://www.silabs.com/developers/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers

Download this firmware and unzip the contents somewhere on the PC:

https://github.com/Switchleg1/esp32-isotp-ble-bridge/releases

Hook dongle to PC using USB, it should have a hole in it you can push down with a paperclip, push it down then run install.bat while holding it down. it should go .........for a bit then the window will close. That's it.

Plugging it into the car and turning to accessory position it should light up red then green when it connects. Simostools will find it automatically. It has a name in Simostools, don't change it or it won't connect.

1672293798358.png

huphuphuppi

Car(s)
Golf MK7 R, MK7 TDI
Hi Diggs, thanks for your help. It did "work" the LEDs are not flashin the right colour, but I've connected and did my first run.
Datazap Logs
I'm still learning the app, next one will try the the automatic logging (using cruise control button) and log the DSG as well. I need more time in the day. Great app btw!!!

huphuphuppi

Car(s)
Golf MK7 R, MK7 TDI
Hi Diggs,
Thank you for helping!! I owe you a beer (?). I've finally managed to pull all strings together and do a 3rd gear pull: 3rd Gear Pull
I've had a look and had a few things stand out (not that I'm the professioinal though):
- tps % isn't staying open?
- Knock on 1 and 4 (not much -2.25), reducing as rpms increase
- fp mpi is higher than fp mpi sp
- exhaust cam, would this be normal? I'm thinking it changes it to get the turbo to spool up?
- ambient pressure sensor seems to be fluctuating (this could be a big impactor ???)

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
-normal
-normal
-normal
-normal
-normal

Everything looks fine other than IATs are high. When it's hot out it will pull timing. I suspect it's just getting heatsoaked sometimes and that is what you are feeling. The stock IC is just rubbish. It's one of the best upgrades after a tune for this paltfrom.