GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intermittent cold starting issue

dmann

Hello everyone looking for some help here to avoid a dealership trip. About a month ago I first noticed it, and recorded it. I would attempt to turn the vehicle on, and it would to turn over for a split second, stop, split second, stop, then would go on its own cycle before starting. It didn't do it again for two weeks so I deleted the video. Now its random and intermittent. This video best describes what happens. its a 2015 GTI S with 34000 miles. Battery replaced about a year in a half ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qTTBTFcqTg&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR0DEBzOVTjPEQTEEwKmEYZPYGWxPb0qhaSIBk10ej073AUXojHU9cukIuA

Cbell3186

Ready to race!
Do you have anything plugged into the system draining it potentially? OBD eleven, radar detector etc? If its like that video definitely the battery. Take note if it happens when its really cold out and the previous time you drove it if it was not driven that long. May have a hard time recharging the battery after a short period. From your profile looks like you are in NY and I am assuming its quite cold. While the battery may test as working your cold cranking amps may be a little bit too low for your climate. The south can get away with cheaper batteries with less cold cranking amps but not up north. Spend the extra bucks, you will thank yourself on really cold days where a dead battery is the last thing you want to deal with.

dmann

Do you have anything plugged into the system draining it potentially? OBD eleven, radar detector etc? If its like that video definitely the battery. Take note if it happens when its really cold out and the previous time you drove it if it was not driven that long. May have a hard time recharging the battery after a short period. From your profile looks like you are in NY and I am assuming its quite cold. While the battery may test as working your cold cranking amps may be a little bit too low for your climate. The south can get away with cheaper batteries with less cold cranking amps but not up north. Spend the extra bucks, you will thank yourself on really cold days where a dead battery is the last thing you want to deal with.

Nothing plugged into the vehicle, only aftermarket accessory is eds replica lights. The battery itself is a autocraft platinum battery H6-AGM. I checked a few fuses and all appear fine. About a week ago It was doing what the video down below shows, I jumped the vehicle and it started. Drove it 45 min home and turned it off. When I went to start it back up, completely dead, no turn over. I left for a 3 day vacation and when I returned it started right back up no hesitation. Now its not starting again but attempting to turn over. Im trying to avoid the dealership because I know theyre going to have their way with me. Any possibility it could be a temp sensor or a fuel pump control module?
https://youtu.be/LKgCYyJNgyg