GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercooler question...

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
I have an Alltrack with an IS20, downpipe, and APR tunes. I currently have a Neuspeed FMIC. In order for the Neuspeed unit to fit I had to remove the two brackets that hold the front of the lower splash shield since they were directly in the way of the I/C hoses. (anyone who's done this on an Alltrack knows what I mean). It's no big deal but it has bugged me a tiny bit. OK.. Let's shelve that just for a moment.. Would there be any PERFORMANCE benefit to removing the Neuspeed intercooler in favor of an APR/IE/AWE, or other quality stock location one. I have no immediate plans of going beyond my current setup (see sig)

OK back to those brackets. I'm in the process of trying to fabricate new brackets that will have a pass-through for the hoses so I can replace the brackets and get rid of the standard golf splash shield and put the heavy duty Alltrack one back on.. I'm just trying to decide if I should sit tight, or look into a different I/C..

Thanks!

LowSkyOrbit

Car(s)
2019 Golf SportWagen
I'm in a 2019 GSW, I'm looking at intercoolers and also looking to do an IS20 upgrade as well. I'm not a huge fan of the FMIC dual-system concept, and the science seems half-baked at best, but nothing beats the shiny look of an FMIC. Another downside on the Golf is it's robbing air from the stack, especially the AC's fins.
My research so far says the "Magic" brand eBay Radiators are pretty decent and currently running $300-400 depending on included tubes and seller. Why spend more for something no one is going to see?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I don't think it's even debatable - the larger stock location replacements have been shown to outperform the front-mounted jobs like the NS and others (including those FMICs run in a "twinter" setup piggy-backed with the OE IC). The reason folks like the FMICs is 1) easy install and 2) looks cool. It's just a size thing really. I have a 2018 GSW 4Mo with IS20 blah blah blah and have a Unitronic replacement IC on order. Great info here:

http://www.mygolfmk7.com/

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I'm in a 2019 GSW, I'm looking at intercoolers and also looking to do an IS20 upgrade as well. I'm not a huge fan of the FMIC dual-system concept, and the science seems half-baked at best, but nothing beats the shiny look of an FMIC. Another downside on the Golf is it's robbing air from the stack, especially the AC's fins.
My research so far says the "Magic" brand eBay Radiators are pretty decent and currently running $300-400 depending on included tubes and seller. Why spend more for something no one is going to see?

It seems straight forward why a bicooler would be beneficial: Q = U x A x DTlm. More heat transfer area produces more overall heat transfer.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
It seems straight forward why a bicooler would be beneficial: Q = U x A x DTlm. More heat transfer area produces more overall heat transfer.
Lots of folks run them and sure, they work but a larger single stock-location IC seems to be the best solution overall. The link I put above has a ton of testing on the twintercooler setups.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
I don't think it's even debatable - the larger stock location replacements have been shown to outperform the front-mounted jobs like the NS and others (including those FMICs run in a "twinter" setup piggy-backed with the OE IC). The reason folks like the FMICs is 1) easy install and 2) looks cool. It's just a size thing really. I have a 2018 GSW 4Mo with IS20 blah blah blah and have a Unitronic replacement IC on order. Great info here:

http://www.mygolfmk7.com/

Thanks.. That link has a lot to digest. Cliffs for a layman? I see that the Chinese coolers on Ebay seem to hold there own against the name brand units..

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Lots of folks run them and sure, they work but a larger single stock-location IC seems to be the best solution overall. The link I put above has a ton of testing on the twintercooler setups.

tiego said "the science seems half-baked at best", I was simply pointing out that the "science" for how increasing the area for heat transfer increases total heat transfer is well established.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
tiego said "the science seems half-baked at best", I was simply pointing out that the "science" for how increasing the area for heat transfer increases total heat transfer is well established.
I don't recall saying the science was half-baked, just that there is a ton of testing out there that shows that a stock-location replacement seems to be the best overall solution if you are willing to put in the effort to change it out which is a PITA for most folks vs. a front mount only or twinter setup both of which are certainly better than the stock unit to your point as they are increasing the heat transfer area.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I don't recall saying the science was half-baked, just that there is a ton of testing out there that shows that a stock-location replacement seems to be the best overall solution if you are willing to put in the effort to change it out which is a PITA for most folks vs. a front mount only or twinter setup both of which are certainly better than the stock unit to your point as they are increasing the heat transfer area.

Sorry, I meant LowSkyOrbit made that statement.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Thanks.. That link has a lot to digest. Cliffs for a layman? I see that the Chinese coolers on Ebay seem to hold there own against the name brand units..
Basically what I said in my last post above - it's not going to make a whole hill of beans which you choose.

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
lotsa info on mishimoto's site about intercooler features in general