GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intake comparison

fluay

I knows APR, ARMA, and i saw GruppeM.

I wonder which one will be the best recommendation? and reason (outlook, performance, price, quality)

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
HS Tuning did a good Dyno comparison on vortex, they compared the APR and VWR intakes and here is what they had to say...
Sorry for being slow to get updates in this thread guys, I was on vacation for a week. The good news is, we got right back to it when I returned! It was important to us to know what kind of power the car was making before we made any changes, so we did about 15 dyno pulls in completely stock configuration with a full tank of 93 octane. The car has about 200 miles on the odometer now. After the baselines, we started making changes. First up was APR 93 octane software. We already knew what to expect from this upgrade thanks to APR's extensive testing but when it comes to testing things like performance intakes, downpipes, and intercoolers there is almost no reason to test a car with a stock ECU calibration. APR's calibration is awesome, and we'll get to that in the next installment. We had two intake systems on the shelf available to test: APR MQB Carbon Fiber and the Volkswagen Racing Cup Edition Intake.

Take a look at the chart below. I spent a few days sifting through all of the dyno charts and threw out any charts that had an odd torque spike or power dip. I overlaid four charts that were the best repeatable, consistent results we got with each hardware/software configuration. Since we were testing performance intake systems, it's important to note that it's incredibly difficult to replicate road going conditions in a dyno cell, and we do not have the super high volume/velocity fans that APR has in their dyno room. This does however give you an idea about potential increases even if tested in a "static" environment. Both intake systems showed improvements over the stock air box. It didn't look like that was going to be the case when we made our first few pulls, and it should be known that the factory box flows pretty well. It seemed like the ECU started to adapt to them after a handful of pulls, so we tested both intake systems twice. Unfortunately the APR Mobile dongle doesn't work on the Simos ECU's in the MK7's yet (I know they are working on it) we had to rely on VCDS for any data we could get. Again, the numbers on the chart are best repeatable consistent results. We expect better numbers after the engine has a few more miles on it. If the nice weather holds out, we'll be headed back to the track this afternoon with some slicks. :D

There are a few things you should know about each intake:

- The APR intake draws air from the factory location, the grill inlet.
- The carbon fiber housing encloses the pleated cotton filter, which creates a slight increase in sound at WOT but can't be described as "noisy" like some of the open element systems might be.
- The service life on the filter they use is great, they've proven to hold up incredibly well in their MK6 intake.
- It's obvious that APR spent a ton of time and effort developing this intake with their flow bench. Small turbocharged engines can have issues with compressor surge which is not good for your turbo and they went to great lengths to mitigate this issue. We're not trying to play favorites or pull punches with our recommendations but there is obviously a lot more R&D into the APR intake than VWR with regard to pressure/surging.

- The VWR intake uses a Trifoam filter. It's used pretty widely in the performance/motorsports industry. It flows well as a material, but it's made of Polyester and it's effectiveness drops more with age or heat exposure than cotton
- This intake produces a higher sound level than the APR intake. The open element design is likely the biggest contributing factor to this. Noise levels seem to be pretty subjective with our customers, so it's worth noting.
- The VWR intake has a heat shield system, and draws air from the engine bay.
- This intake seemed to produce some compressor surge where the APR system has almost no discernible surge. We obviously weren't able to check compressor wheel speed so it's tough to say whether there are any effects on the compressor speed with either system.

By the way, we usually carry both of these systems in stock. We'll be able to ship the APR systems by Friday (9/19/14) as they are coming off of a back order status. Order here:

http://www.hstuning.com/index.php?vpath=330_331

Keep checking in for more updates, we'll talk more about the APR ECU upgrade after we get some track times tonight and we have some goodies in store for the next few weeks! ;)
-

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
VWR R600 should be out literally any day now. Should be interesting to see how it stacks up.

Ive been hearing that for months lol. It should do well, I'm looking forward to see what they bring to the table too.

fluay

can anyone please help me to explain the dyno result?
stock filter output: 220?
ARP output:292.39?? how come
VWR output: 286.9?? why

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
can anyone please help me to explain the dyno result?
stock filter output: 220?
ARP output:292.39?? how come
VWR output: 286.9?? why

220 is stock intake on stock tune as well.
Stock intake with apr tune is 280.
So you should be looking at 280 vs 287 vs 292

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
I think the test is pretty flawed. They should rather log both cars at the same speed on the road and see how airflow changes. Sometimes what works on the dyno has a different affect on the road.

fluay

road drive is depending a lot on "feeling", but feeling cannot proof anything, so people using numbers.

Only ARP has test result, how about other brands?

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
road drive is depending a lot on "feeling", but feeling cannot proof anything, so people using numbers.

Only ARP has test result, how about other brands?

You can log the calculated airflow on the road.

With the VMR it might benefit on the dyno from having the hood open and in the case of the APR it might be negative as the airflow is generally restricted due to the size of the dyno fan.

Rafal

Ready to race!
HS Tuning did a good Dyno comparison on vortex, they compared the APR and VWR intakes and here is what they had to say...

VW R 600 does not draw air from the engine bay unless you so request, minus half the hardware!
It is probably the best unit, drawing air from the entire width of the front grille, not half like APR.

Attachments

• Golf R VW R Cold Air Intake.jpg
    Golf R VW R Cold Air Intake.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 18,161