GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intake Advice!

Hoon

Autocross Champion
If i'm buying an intake right now, it's a toss up between the APR and the Uni.

I have the autotech...don't know if it makes power, but do know that it fits like shit.

I wouldn't give you a nickel for an open element filter.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
IMO launch isn't the way to do it. 30-90 in third is probably going to eliminate the most variables.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

It would be such a small difference that who cares unless you’re racing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Yank the horizontal intake straw and snow guard. Done. Next...

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Yank the horizontal intake straw and snow guard. Done. Next...

Unfortunately that doesn't do anything.

When 034 Motorsports started testing during their development they did the snow catcher delete and a panel filter, gained 1whp.

APRs intake has been independently tested and gained 12whp. Unfortunately Uni's intake wasn't included in that test.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
So i spent all morning researching intakes, and the R600 might be my next purchase.

Seems like both the Uni and APR require coolant reroute and breather filters for secondary air injection?

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Unfortunately that doesn't do anything.

When 034 Motorsports started testing during their development they did the snow catcher delete and a panel filter, gained 1whp.

APRs intake has been independently tested and gained 12whp. Unfortunately Uni's intake wasn't included in that test.

I use the K&N drop in for slightly improved throttle response, that's it. While they don't filter as good as OEM filters, as many will note, they offer lower initial flow restriction. At the high end, this doesn't yield much, if any difference in peak HP, as you have noted. I just swapped back to the fat stock paper filter for a day or two to clean my K&N, and then switched back again. I can certainly feel the difference in throttle response. Admittedly, it is subtle, but still noticeable enough for me to stay with the K&N. Also, theoretically, since the engine requires slightly less power to overcome the the initial airflow when taking off from a stop, this could yield a very minor fuel economy increase. We are likely talking very miniscule here and probably not even measurable.

So i spent all morning researching intakes, and the R600 might be my next purchase.

Seems like both the Uni and APR require coolant reroute and breather filters for secondary air injection?

Agreed. That's the one I would get if I was going to lay the $$$ money down. It's like a $50 per HP investment, plus you gain some nice modest intake sounds along with the integrated SAI bung. This keeps the SAI noise to a minimum on startup like the OEM unit. I didn't like the open breather I tried with the open filter a couple years ago. They increased the SAI startup noise two-fold in my experience. And, with the R600, you get the OEM look and feel that I also like.

I noticed ECS has dyno charts for their inhouse open and closed intake systems. The open intake with a nice heat shield yields 5HP and the closed intake system with front air duct yields 10 HP (on APR stage 1 GTI). This is in line with what you are saying as well. Like someone else stated...you could not pay me to use another open element filter, especially one without an effective heat shield. They look and sound great, but they not as good for cold air flow as stock and many of them don't provide the same smooth stock-like acceleration "feel".

It is also good to note for all reading this...the more power you make, the more HP a more efficient intake will yield. Those running stock are NOT going to yield that 10 HP like a tuned car will be able to. All dyno charts for intakes that I have seen use stage 1 or stage 2 tunes that require increased airflow.

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
IMO launch isn't the way to do it. 30-90 in third is probably going to eliminate the most variables.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

That would work too if one has access to solid tools and a nice stretch of road. Running it on a strip for me would be a lot easier as you have less things to worry about while gathering some concrete data. DSG with launch control is fool proof.

It would be such a small difference that who cares unless you’re racing?

I'm sure the forum wouldn't mind gaining some concrete data from the test instead of just yapping about how aftermarket units don't add any benefits over our well designed stock units.

gmi99

Passed Driver's Ed
I got the CTS intake on sale and I highly recommend it. Their numbers are equal if not better than APR (10-15hp vs 11hp) and I think it's due to the design of the heat shield/box. It lines right up to the OEM air scoop and the box is sealed against the hood (not a perfect seal, but definitely enough for directed airflow from the grille).

Like I said I don't like how the R600 and forge intakes block the passenger side. There's a reason VW and APR designed their intakes to only take from the driver side as you have diminishing returns due to hotter engine bay.

If you hate intake sound the APR is great. Otherwise save money and get the CTS with equivalent/better gains and good sound.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
The running at the track idea works, but only if:

Both intakes are tested on the same day as close to the same conditions as possible

&

You only look at the difference in mph from the 1/8 to the 1/4 mile aka "the back half"

1/4 mile mph - 1/8 mile mph is the industry standard for judging whp at the track. It pretty much eliminates driver error and traction as variables.

With that said, even a 10hp difference is a very small if noticeable at all.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I got the CTS intake on sale and I highly recommend it. Their numbers are equal if not better than APR (10-15hp vs 11hp) and I think it's due to the design of the heat shield/box. It lines right up to the OEM air scoop and the box is sealed against the hood (not a perfect seal, but definitely enough for directed airflow from the grille).

Like I said I don't like how the R600 and forge intakes block the passenger side. There's a reason VW and APR designed their intakes to only take from the driver side as you have diminishing returns due to hotter engine bay.

If you hate intake sound the APR is great. Otherwise save money and get the CTS with equivalent/better gains and good sound.

I had the cts and injen intake. They're almost identical so I sold the CTS since it's worth more.

gmi99

Passed Driver's Ed
I had the cts and injen intake. They're almost identical so I sold the CTS since it's worth more.
With the Injen I was worried about sucking hot air from the engine bay bc of how open the shield is, which is probably more of an issue at low speeds/idle. The CTS seemed more like an in-between option open/closed. Also oiled filters have better airflow (more maintenance though)

Jedimk7

Drag Race Newbie
How about the MAP or Cobb style intakes? I have an autotech with afe filter and snow guard out they claim 10whp? Would like more sounds but don't want to decrease performance.

Sent via Pide Piper compression app

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
How about the MAP or Cobb style intakes? I have an autotech with afe filter and snow guard out they claim 10whp? Would like more sounds but don't want to decrease performance.

I'd just keep what you have. Going from one intake to another is completely pointless...they all make about the same hardly noticeable difference 0-10hp.

The only reason I had the cts intake is I got it for pretty much free (missing some pieces I had to buy) along with my cts DP. Traded my labor and stock DP

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
The injen intake isn’t a marvel of engineering but the box is at least sealed off from the engine bay and its fed cold air from the front still. My IAT is fine with it

gmi99

Passed Driver's Ed

Between those two I would go with the Cobb, it's well designed. It will be quieter than the CTS/injen but a bit louder than other closed systems. Idk how I feel about the silicone tube though.

BUT I just noticed the DFG intake on sale at modded euros. Looks awesome. https://www.moddedeuros.com/products/dfg-tuning-mqb-intake-system-15-16-a3-s3-gti-golf-golf-r

Probably only a few hp gain over the autotech, but it will sound nice. At worst no gain, but added sound.