GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Installing a LSD on DSG Gti - Different recommendation on oil - Motul DCTF vsGear 300

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Did you end up just using normal DSG oil? Realize this was two years ago, but thinking about doing this.

Thanks!
ugh...

SO...

DSG oil whatever brand you like goes in the DSG....the dsg diff(wavetrac or any other DSG diff....) is designed to work in DSG oil....autotech is recommending motul brand DCTF(DSG) fluid
If you have a haldex VAQ diff....attached to the trans (IE golf gti with performance pack...)...it takes haldex oil and is separate from the trans please change it every 2-3 years
If you have 4motion....standard gear oil...goes in the bevel box attached to the trans....regardless of dsg or manual. Change it every 5 years
If you have a manual trans...and a wavetrac diff....autotech recommends gear 300 gear oil.

If you don't understand or this confuses you more...I recommend only having your vehicle serviced by a shop....

hopefully the this thread goes back to the grave.....end thread...please

Last edited:

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
ugh...

SO...

DSG oil whatever brand you like goes in the DSG....the dsg diff(wavetrac or any other DSG diff....) is designed to work in DSG oil....autotech is recommending motul brand DCTF(DSG) fluid
If you have a haldex VAQ diff....attached to the trans (IE golf gti with performance pack...)...it takes haldex oil and is separate from the trans please change it every 2-3 years
If you have 4motion....standard gear oil...goes in the bevel box attached to the trans....regardless of dsg or manual. Change it every 5 years
If you have a manual trans...and a wavetrac diff....autotech recommends gear 300 gear oil.

If you don't understand or this confuses you more...I recommend only having your vehicle serviced by a shop....

I appreciate you responding. Just haven't seen a lot of people with a DSG + no-PP talking about it.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
ugh...

SO...

VW marketing dept messed everything up with the naming... as they marketed the VAQ unit as "mechanical limited slip differential" in the sales brochures....the people who make the unit (Borg Warner) & the VW workshop books NEVER call it that..

Also "shops" still (since MK4 Golf AWD) keep getting confused as to which oils to place in the AWD rear case which contains both the Haldex unit & the bevel box...two separate oils, two separate fill/drain plugs etc....just two cases joined together (depending on version)...the amount of times they have drained one, & over filled the other with the wrong oil..leaving the drained one dry....!!!

Last edited:

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Wavetrac? Which shop is doing the work? I put in an order on first week of June, still waiting with no ETA.
I ordered one through NGP, and contacted Wavetrac. They said they’d have more out by the end of the month but they sell out within a day or two.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
I ordered one through NGP, and contacted Wavetrac. They said they’d have more out by the end of the month but they sell out within a day or two.
Also, I have my car at a trans shop because of a clicking/tapping in 5th and 6th so they’re installing it while they tear down/repair that.