GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Installing a LSD on DSG Gti - Different recommendation on oil - Motul DCTF vsGear 300

Aluizio

Ready to race!
Hi,

I'm using my mk7 DSG Gti (2013/2014, non PP, German made) on track days. My car was OEM, and them I decided to buy a Wavetrac LSD.
The LSD will be deliveried here in Brazil next month, when I'll proceed with the installation.

My doubt now is: what oil should I use?

Motul recomends for DSG the DCTF. But Wavetrac recomends Motul Gear 300, even for LSD installed on DSG.

Serching about Gear 300 use on DSG, I found this information on APR website:

"Motul Gear 300 SAE 75W90 - 100% Synthetic Ester - 100% synthetic lubricant for all mechanical transmission of high performances and racing cars. For manual, synchronised or not synchronised gearboxes, gearbox/differential, transfer gearboxes and hypoid differentials without limited slip system. Not for use with DSG, S-Tronic, PDK, R-Tronic, E-Gear, Tiptronic, Automatic, Multitronic, CVT Transmissions." (https://www.goapr.com/products/motul_gear.html)

So, I have one company (the LSD manufacturer) recommending Gear 300, and another company affirming to not use Gear 300 on DSG.

Do you have any information about this?
Have anyone here installed LSD on a DSG Gti? What oil do you use?

I appreciate if someone can help.

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
DCTF is for the DSG gearbox, Gear 300 is for the diff & manual trans. (the VAQ in PP GTIs use Haldex oil)

DO NOT put diff oil in the DSG!!!

Last edited:

Aluizio

Ready to race!
DCTF is for the DSG gearbox, Gear 300 is for the diff & manual trans. (the VAQ in PP GTIs use Haldex oil)

DO NOT put diff oil in the DSG!!!

Thank you for your reply. I think the same. But the Wavetrac representative that answer my question recommended Gear 300! That´s quite weird for me...

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
Thank you for your reply. I think the same. But the Wavetrac representative that answer my question recommended Gear 300! That´s quite weird for me...

He's correct! You put Gear 300 in your diff, with or without the Wavetrack.

You do NOT put that in the DSG, that's where DCTF goes.

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
Car(s)
MQB A3
He's correct! You put Gear 300 in your diff, with or without the Wavetrack.

You do NOT put that in the DSG, that's where DCTF goes.

Your wording is gonna confuse the hell out of people. The VAQ dif is an externally mounted unit that uses proprietary haldex fluid. An aftermarket differential will be inside the dsg transmission itself and uses the same dsg fluid the trans uses.

Dannicuss

Passed Driver's Ed
Your wording is gonna confuse the hell out of people. The VAQ dif is an externally mounted unit that uses proprietary haldex fluid. An aftermarket differential will be inside the dsg transmission itself and uses the same dsg fluid the trans uses.

I think we're all being a bit sloppy with our language. lol

Right, the VAQ lock itself uses haldex fluid. The VAQ differential lock is not a differential and is external to the tranmission. The actual differential is in the transmission case. Same with non-VAQ equipped models; manual, DSG, and even auto Golfs. All of the differentials run in the transmission fluid whether stock or aftermarket.

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI

It seemed very clear in my head LOL

Yes, the LSD uses same fluid as tranny, as there's a manual and a DSG version of it.

Just don't want anyone to put gear oil in their DSG.

Last edited:

Boban_zg

Hi , I am planing to install the lsd on the DSG non PP car.

I was intrested in your impression of it? Do you drive on track or street only?

thx

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

thx

Since that was almost 2 years ago you might not get an answer.

Aluizio

Ready to race!

thx
Hi! I use the car on track days. The LSD helps at track, but the car still understeer under heavy load when both wheels spin.
I like it a lot, but it is not a "miracle" (and is not supposed to be).

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
I believe car and driver shave like 3 seconds off a 3 minute+ lap at their lightning lap just with a PP car vs non-PP. So if you are looking for the fastest times, having a LSD will definitely be a great move.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Hi! I use the car on track days. The LSD helps at track, but the car still understeer under heavy load when both wheels spin.
I like it a lot, but it is not a "miracle" (and is not supposed to be).
Did you end up just using normal DSG oil? Realize this was two years ago, but thinking about doing this.

Thanks!