GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infotainment system battery drain

Fredu

Car(s)
Golf SV
A week age my GOLF SV battery ran down after using the radio for too long while parked.
Car was jump started by roadside assistance, but ever since then it has been losing charge overnight.
Suspected battery may be near end of life so replaced with new, a correctly spec'd Bosch AGM.
But no change. Still going flat when parked for more that one day.
Tested for parasitic draw and found the MIB2 infotainment system is drawing 1.2A to 1.5A even when the car is switched off and locked.
And this draw is continuous. Doesn't stop after a period of time.
Battery state of charge drops to 50% over one night, but increases to 95% after engine running for an hour or so so clearly no problem with charging system.
This has only been happening since the jump start.
Can anyone explain what may have changed and what I can do to fix it.

Urlik

Go Kart Newbie
Although I have low expectations it will work since the battery swap should basicaly do the same thing but try a hard reboot of the MIB by holding the power button until it reboots. It can't hurt to try it.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I had slightly different problem with infotainment draining battery as mine was intermittent..... to be so lucky to have your problem. Mine took me some six months to diagnose dead battery to infotainment. I swapped out head unit with salvage unit, had component protection removed and functional enablement codes (FeC) reinstalled remotely. It was like $200 to fix so not too bad.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/infotainment-unit-draining-battery.379517/

Last edited:

Fredu

Car(s)
Golf SV
Mine is a fairly new head unit but it's not salvage. Bit of a long story, but it's a legitimate, brand new unit supplied by the VW franchised dealer who sold me the car.
Unfortunately they're some 300 miles from me and Covid lockdowns meant they couldn't do the installation and coding.
So I did physical installation and got my local VW dealer to remove Component Protection ... however they don't seem to have a clue how to install the FeC's.
So until I can find someone here in the south of Ireland, with ODIS, who actually knows what they're doing, I'm stuck with a working radio, blue tooth telephony and a working reversing camera but nothing else.

I can live with that for now, but to get back to your recommendation re. the issue at hand; the system has been working like this for months without issue so it doesn't make sense that my current problem has anything to do with incomplete coding.
But is it possible that the act of jump starting could have caused some damage to the head unit? Has anyone come across anything like this before?

The jump start was done by a Roadside Assistance service and I wasn't there at the time, so I don't know if they connected to the chassis terminal or the battery negative.
I'd assume they know what they're doing, but if not then is it possible for the head unit to be damaged by connecting the jump leads incorrectly?
And would that do no other damage except causing the sudden current drain?
Could something have changed in the coding which is suddenly preventing the system from "going to sleep". And if so, can I check and correct it with obdeleven?

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Sorry, I do not know of any coding or how a jump start would effect coding that would result in a continuous 1.5A draw after sleep mode kicked in (unit turned off (door opened) and approximately 10 minutes). I was just pointing out that if it is defective head unit that the cost of a salvage unit, CP removal and FeC reinstall is not too bad. That and a switch inline with the fuse is preferrable to removing a batttey lead or pulling the fuse after using the car. Understand getting the VAS5054 tool and & D-Link Dub E100 adapter is a challenge as I do not know of anyone renting in the UK. If it ever does come down to that you may post a wanted to rent in the regional forum. This is the interface required to reinstall the FeC's along with someone who can accomplish remotely such as @simaservis1108 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384505142779