GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

In what order should I do these modifications to my GTI?

WadeRoberson

Ready to race!
Car(s)
NA
1st package: Flash + Downpipe + Intercooler

(assuming you're DSG & you have PP brakes)

EDIT: oh.. and please don't go for RPF1s - those wheels look or make our golfs look very awkward. This is a visual downgrade to OEM package if you ask me.
My friend has been getting into way too much trouble with his mk6 and is getting a jeep. (Too many tickets) So he's giving me some audi wheels he had on his.

WadeRoberson

Ready to race!
Car(s)
NA
Im such a forum noob. I thought people stopped responding to this post... Just didn't realize that a page 2 was created. *Sobs in the face of own stupidity*

Kinogod

Passed Driver's Ed
It matters what experience you want. Are you under warranty?Do you like driving and canyon carving or straight line speed? #1: I drive my car so the best first thing IMO is lower sport springs - this lower center of gravity and tighter rate transforms the car for good dollar return. VWR springs installed by dealer Keep suspension warranty. Jewels and stickers are fun in and out.

2: The next thing I would do is LIGHTER rims and def pilot cups...my god they really transform the car. Im not a fan of gimmicky over-tiring a car. Stick with 18s. I've tried 235 and 225. Again weight and flickability better with 225s. A good drop in K&N or other free flow air filter at this point after using up stock filter value will be felt.

3: At this point an APR (or other) stage 1 tune COMBINED with better dampers is called for. I've found that when you get those rims tires springs on there, it's an amazingly diff vehicle. When you do koni yellow dampers (not coil overs) you could also do stiffer Neuspeed sway bars front and rear. When you do tune, beef up the motor mount. I would not go with adjustable suspension or endlinks.

4: I won't do a downpipe but will do a LIGHTER catback.

I like this order for a drivers experience.

Because of the nature of reflash tuning from this modified platform you can then go to APR two or stage two and beef up your clutch if you're a manual and get more crazy if you do tracks. I think stage 2 asks for reliability trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
It matters what experience you want. Are you under warranty?Do you like driving and canyon carving or straight line speed? #1: I drive my car so the best first thing IMO is lower sport springs - this lower center of gravity and tighter rate transforms the car for good dollar return. VWR springs installed by dealer Keep suspension warranty. Jewels and stickers are fun in and out.

2: The next thing I would do is LIGHTER rims and def pilot cups...my god they really transform the car. Im not a fan of gimmicky over-tiring a car. Stick with 18s. I've tried 235 and 225. Again weight and flickability better with 225s. A good drop in K&N or other free flow air filter at this point after using up stock filter value will be felt.

3: At this point an APR (or other) stage 1 tune COMBINED with better dampers is called for. I've found that when you get those rims tires springs on there, it's an amazingly diff vehicle. When you do koni yellow dampers (not coil overs) you could also do stiffer Neuspeed sway bars front and rear. When you do tune, beef up the motor mount. I would not go with adjustable suspension or endlinks.

4: I won't do a downpipe but will do a LIGHTER catback.

I like this order for a drivers experience.

Because of the nature of reflash tuning from this modified platform you can then go to APR two or stage two and beef up your clutch if you're a manual and get more crazy if you do tracks. I think stage 2 asks for reliability trouble.

#1, 2 & 4sound good. But real coilovers tuned for the GTI is your best bet. Research what's out there and go for what fits your driving.

Leave the drop in k&n filter alone. They let a ton of dirt and silica past the filter. Keep the OEM filter until you get to stage 2. Even then the OEM airbox can support quite a bit of power.

I fully agree with the filter thing. Stay with the stock paper filter and swap
it annually.
I also do agree with lighter wheels. Fortunately my CS came with real light
wheels from factory (16.7 lbs). Run along with PSS I have zero complaints.

VWR springs installed by dealer Keep suspension warranty.
Who did tell you that? It doesn't matter who fitted them when the springs
aren't approved by Volkswagen.
VWR = Racingline has NO relation to Volkswagen at all. Don't mix that with
Volkswagen Zubehör = Driver Gear (DG), which is a division of Volkswagen.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
I'm beginning to think I should have bought the R.
Would spend thousands on a gti to get similar power as a stg1 R

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I think I would still be ahead of R pricing with an IS38, ST XTA, RSB, CTS Intercooler, JB4 , APR DP, and DSG Tune. Maybe get a APR IS38 Tune, but other than that I think I'm still ahead.

And most of those are mods, outside of the turbo, that the R would "need" anyway

paulgarnett6

Ready to race!
I think I would still be ahead of R pricing with an IS38, ST XTA, RSB, CTS Intercooler, JB4 , APR DP, and DSG Tune. Maybe get a APR IS38 Tune, but other than that I think I'm still ahead.

And most of those are mods, outside of the turbo, that the R would "need" anyway
Still not as fast though,luckily I still prefer the syling of a gti to the r but
No matter what you spend it won't be as quick as a st 1 R
4 wheel drive it's just quicker

miked617

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
21 VW GTI
Still not as fast though,luckily I still prefer the syling of a gti to the r but
No matter what you spend it won't be as quick as a st 1 R
4 wheel drive it's just quicker

From a dig yes but from a roll I'm not too sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Kinogod

Passed Driver's Ed
installed the Spulen engine mount insert today at Eurocode.
improved throttle response and pleasant Motorsports connection with engine.