GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

In what order should I do these modifications to my GTI?

WadeRoberson

Ready to race!
Car(s)
NA
Sorry if this topic has been discussed ad nauseam, but when I went to look I didn't find anything that properly/sufficiently answered my questions. Also this will obviously be more specific to the modifications I want to do. If there are any past threads that you think cover this well enough please send me there. Thank you.

The mods I plan on doing:

APR Stage 1 ECU
Michelin Pilot Super Sports
Enkei RPF1s (subject to change, but these are pretty great for the price)

CTS Turbo Intake (I like the way it looks better than the APR counterpart and from what I've read the only real differences would be sound, price, and looks)
APR Downpipe (Free Stage 2 tune if this is the downpipe I choose)
APR Stage 2 ECU

H&R Coilovers
LSD (Car does not have PP. Any LSD Suggestions? Necessary or waste of money for road use?)

APR Intercooler
APR Turbo

These modifications are put into groups by when I would be doing them. I can't afford to do them all at once :p

I didn't include any exhaust systems here, but I do plan on doing one at some point. I can do this whenever right?

Other Questions:

Should I do coilovers earlier? I may never upgrade to a bigger turbo, which would make an intercooler upgrade absolutely necessary, but should I upgrade sooner regardless? (I live in Florida and it gets 100+ f here in the summer) Is there anything I'm totally forgetting?

Thank you.

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
Sorry if this topic has been discussed ad nauseam, but when I went to look I didn't find anything that properly/sufficiently answered my questions. Also this will obviously be more specific to the modifications I want to do. If there are any past threads that you think cover this well enough please send me there. Thank you.

The mods I plan on doing:

APR Stage 1 ECU

Michelin Pilot Super Sports

Enkei RPF1s (subject to change, but these are pretty great for the price)

CTS Turbo Intake (I like the way it looks better than the APR counterpart and from what I've read the only real differences would be sound, price, and looks)

APR Downpipe (Free Stage 2 tune if this is the downpipe I choose)

APR Stage 2 ECU

H&R Coilovers

LSD (Car does not have PP. Any LSD Suggestions? Necessary or waste of money for road use?)

APR Intercooler

APR Turbo

These modifications are put into groups by when I would be doing them. I can't afford to do them all at once :p

I didn't include any exhaust systems here, but I do plan on doing one at some point. I can do this whenever right?

Other Questions:

Should I do coilovers earlier? I may never upgrade to a bigger turbo, which would make an intercooler upgrade absolutely necessary, but should I upgrade sooner regardless? (I live in Florida and it gets 100+ f here in the summer) Is there anything I'm totally forgetting?

Thank you.

Should of just spent all this money and got an R and called it a day

iPhone using Tapatalk VIP

1. tires

2. read this forum, tons of answers on any of your current and future questions

3. Toni is true

(dude, no reason for full quotes ;) )

WadeRoberson

Ready to race!
Car(s)
NA
Group 1: APR Stage 2 and DP
Intercooler because Florida

Group 2: Wheels coils and tires

Group 3: LSD if you feel like you need it. dogbone. Probably need a clutch by then if a manual. Do the LSD at same time as clutch.

Group Never: Intake

My $0.02
Why never do an intake? Is stock sufficient?

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Consider an intake once at stage two. Minimal gains then. Almost no gains before then.

Maybe 6 hp stock. 10-15 stage 2 or is38.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
You're in Florida right?

A good intercooler is a MUST have item in a climate like yours.

Swoope

Ready to race!
from somewhere else.

sorry,

just getting back to you.. really most people have answered this. but i would take it further and make it more clear..

intercooler you loose no power due to heat soak and you save power by heatsoaking much later.. if you do get heatsoak at all... under boost i am running about 10 deg above ambient. even on a heatsoaked racetrack at 107 deg.

as to the rest of the stuff. this is how i would do it.

intercooler, then and only then.
tune, then and only then, if that is not enough.
midpipe with cat. then and only then if that is not enough.
midpipe without cat. then and only then.
is 38 turbo, if that is not enough waste a bunch of money on intakes, charge pipes, turbo deletes. might be 10 hp total with all those combined.

this is from a power standpoint. if you want to hear the turbo, get a intake on a stick.. then start at the beginning of my post for power.

beers

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Wade,

IS38 is a nice final upgrade to the GTI. I think you should breath a bit and enjoy your car for awhile before dumping thousands of dollars in mods into it. But that is just me :). Read the forums, do your research, take your time.

WadeRoberson

Ready to race!
Car(s)
NA
Wade,

IS38 is a nice final upgrade to the GTI. I think you should breath a bit and enjoy your car for awhile before dumping thousands of dollars in mods into it. But that is just me :). Read the forums, do your research, take your time.
I plan on waiting about another year before modifying my car. And then wait about a year between each step.

tgil99

Passed Driver's Ed
Lowering springs will immediately improve already good handling and fun factor.
Several top brands that improve the look of the stance and are not extreme so you can enjoy even less smooth roads.
Good luck.

WadeRoberson

Ready to race!
Car(s)
NA
This is where I am now:

Michelin Pilot Super Sport $720
Stage 1 ECU $700

H&R Coilovers $1200

CTS Turbo Intake $330
APR Downpipe $750
APR Stage 2 ECU FREE