GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IE TrueFlex for MK7 GTI | Easy ethanol -flashing now!

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
Car(s)
MQB A3
Thankfully don't have to worry about sunk costs with switching tuning platforms since I'm still stock/untuned. No big power/big turbo aspirations for now, already told myself if that bug starts biting I just need to get a separate project car with a proven formula for 700+ hp. Definitely not trying to blaze trails.
Very smart. This is a great platform to about 500whp. After that you really start to run into a hard wall with the law of diminishing returns. LS platform in anything can do 700+whp with ease. Good friend is wrapping up an LS swap in an e92 and is ~ $5k deep into it. Should be a solid 800whp setup out of the gate.

Tyler@IE

Go Kart Newbie
For anyone following this thread, here is the newest TrueFlex update as of last week: Stage 1 & Stage 2 TrueFlex for 2015-2018 GTI & A3 2.0T is now available! This rounds out our entire tuning support for the 15-18 GTI with full TrueFlex support (Stage 1, Stage 2, IS38, & IS38 w/ stock downpipe).

2015-2018 GTI is now fully supported on all stages!
Unlock the flexibility to run 91/93 octane all the way up to full E85 or anything in-between all from one tune. These performance-based flex-fuel tunes maximize and adjust power and torque instantly. Say hello to the easiest, fastest, and safest way to run ethanol for your
MQB 2.0T engine now: https://performancebyie.com/products/ie-ecu-tune-vw-audi-20t-tsi-gen3-is20

What is TrueFlex?
IE's software engineers and calibrators have developed our own advanced TrueFlex calibration, allowing the ECU to safely adjust for ethanol content down to the exact percentage in real-time. This powerful programming brings the ease and confidence to fill up at the pump and make the most power available from your fuel choice without having to drain, verify blends, or reflash the ECU. Simply fill up any mix of ethanol and pump gas (91/93 up to full E85) and go!

Is this flex-fuel?
Factory-equipped flex-fuel calibrations are designed to adjust for the cleanest emissions for different ethanol blends to get the highest MPG. This typically results in maximum timing for the lowest octane (91) across the entire range up to E85, leaving loads of untapped power on the table. IE TrueFlex is a complete performance adaptation that makes instant and continuous adjustments to performance maps such as boost and timing and releases the most available power for the fuel mix as it enters the cylinder.

What is required?
-TrueFlex Sensor Harness Kit: The EA888 Gen 3 2.0T engine is not equipped with any type of Flex Fuel system from the factory and lacks the ability to sense fuel content. In order for IE's TrueFlex ECU tune to work, an IE TrueFlex Sensor Harness Kit is required. This easy to install harness kit installs a sensor capable of delivering instant fuel content data to the IE ECU calibration. https://performancebyie.com/products/ie-trueflex-sensor-harness-for-mqb-engines

-DSG Tune: Due to the high-power output of IE TrueFlex ethanol tunes, the IE DSG TCU calibration is required to prevent the factory clutches from slipping under load. Additionally, the DSG calibration will deliver a higher RPM limit, faster shifts, optimized shift points, adjustable launch control, and a true performance-tuned transmission. Acceleration times will greatly improve giving you the most performance from your TrueFlex ethanol tune. Manual transmission vehicles require a clutch upgrade. https://performancebyie.com/products/ie-dsg-tune-vw-audi-mk7-8v-dq250

-HPFP Upgrade: Ethanol offers higher power output but also requires more fuel delivery than regular pump gas. The stock High-Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) can not deliver enough fuel to support ethanol and must be upgraded. Upgrading the HPFP ensures there will be enough fuel supply for ethanol content to run reliably at all elevations and climate conditions safely. IE HPFP Coming Soon!

TrueFlex Stage 1 & 2 15-18 GTI A3.jpg

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
It all sounds like a great idea, but the gains from upgrading to an is38 seem very underwhelming.
If those Stage 2 numbers are legit, that is the way I would go.

The is20 gains 67hp, going from 93 octane to flex fuel.
The is38 gains 13hp, going from 93 octane to flex fuel.

There are typos here Lucy, or you got some splainin' to do.

ie.jpg

Last edited:

Tyler@IE

Go Kart Newbie
Definitely, this really shows what ethanol can do for you. For more power on a 93 octane Stage 2 car, the 93 pump gas is tapped out, you need more octane or more boost -either will raise the ceiling of power. IS38 raises the boost ceiling on 93 and delivers more power on the same octane that way. Running E85 on Stage 2 also raises that ceiling very high and efficiently, so high that it really narrows the gap between the two turbos. You can see this on where the ethanol percentage makes peak power on the two turbos, Stage 2 makes peak at full E85 while the most power on the IS38 is E60-E70 range and starts to pull performance again above that ethanol percentage.

I agree that the Stage 2 TrueFlex setup is awesome and really makes a lot of great peak power. There is more to it then just peak numbers as the IS38 does hold the boost and power longer into the higher RPM range as well. make sure to look at the two power curves on the dynos as well.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
It all sounds like a great idea, but the gains from upgrading to an is38 seem very underwhelming.
If those Stage 2 numbers are legit, that is the way I would go.

The is20 gains 67hp, going from 93 octane to flex fuel.
The is38 gains 13hp, going from 93 octane to flex fuel.

There are typos here Lucy, or you got some splainin' to do.

View attachment 235975
If you think that's whacky, compare the numbers of their IS38/104 to is38 flex. 415->459 ft-lbs going from race gas to e85? dyno operator was feeling froggy on that run.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
If you think that's whacky, compare the numbers of their IS38/104 to is38 flex. 415->459 ft-lbs going from race gas to e85? dyno operator was feeling froggy on that run.
It's probably the cooling effect of ethanol when cylinder pressures are near their peak.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
You can see this on where the ethanol percentage makes peak power on the two turbos, Stage 2 makes peak at full E85 while the most power on the IS38 is E60-E70 range and starts to pull performance again above that ethanol percentage.

Why does the the IS38 car start to pull power in the E60-E70 range? Why is there such a small difference between 93 and "TrueFlex Ethanol".

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Why does the the IS38 car start to pull power in the E60-E70 range? Why is there such a small difference between 93 and "TrueFlex Ethanol".
Has to be fuelling system not having the gusto?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Has to be fuelling system not having the gusto?
Maybe? They are totally doing themselves a disservice by posting the lower number when the E60/70 value is the highest. Let's see the E60/70 number?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Not in the higher rpm range where the peak HP is made. The hpfp becomes the limiter in the peak TQ window.

There are a lot of variables, but posting the low full E85 numbers instead of the highest numbers which they say is E60/70 is not really helpful for them. It's also not helpful for the end users.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
There are a lot of variables, but posting the low full E85 numbers instead of the highest numbers which they say is E60/70 is not really helpful for them. It's also not helpful for the end users.
I was commenting directly to the comment I quoted.

Not fully sure what you’re talking about with what they are showing and benefiting the end user cause I wasn’t really going through those numbers . But as a full picture of ethanol tuning… e60/70 is going to yield the same power VS “full e85” as you are pretty much hitting MBT at e60 on this platform.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I was commenting directly to the comment I quoted.

Not fully sure what you’re talking about with what they are showing and benefiting the end user cause I wasn’t really going through those numbers . But as a full picture of ethanol tuning… e60/70 is going to yield the same power VS “full e85” as you are pretty much hitting MBT at e60 on this platform.
If anything they might be lowering boost past e50/60 to make sure there's more fueling headroom. It's what I'd do on a stock fuel system.