GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

iAbed Rear Main Seal - Read Before you Install

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
This iAbed is one of my biggest regrets in installing. Did it as a preventative, leaked immediately the first install. Took it to another shop with a brand new seal and it leaks 6 months later. If you like giving out money for a leaky seal get iAbed.

I daily my car (never tracked), have stock mounts & sachs performance clutch with DMFW

Stock for the W

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Switched to OEM myself, 1k miles and several autocross events, dry as a bone.

Some have luck, others didn’t, I fall in the category of the didn’t group.

acorazza

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI 6MT
As stated before for me, my first one leaked pretty soon after install, but it was install error. It was then installed correctly and that one has been dry for 20k miles. I agree that it is hit or miss and if I did it again, I would have probably left it alone because I had less that 10k miles on the car but if the car is a higher mileage one, I would consider replacing. If you go with iAbed make sure the shop is familiar with them and willing to warranty in the event of failure that way if something does happen you’re still covered.

Also, if a shop won’t stand behind its own work I would think twice about using them but that’s just me

Reactions: krs

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
My iAbed seal is holding up without issue. I installed it with the new clutch as preventative maintenence and it worked out as it turns out my stock one was leaking. My mechanic also mentioned install error as the main reason for failures .

ctrldel

Car(s)
MK7 GTI 2017
This iAbed is one of my biggest regrets in installing. Did it as a preventative, leaked immediately the first install. Took it to another shop with a brand new seal and it leaks 6 months later. If you like giving out money for a leaky seal get iAbed.

I daily my car (never tracked), have stock mounts & sachs performance clutch with DMFW

Stock for the W
Iabed is not the issue elring has a large batch of defective seal in circulation.

I can't provide you with the source unfortunately.

The abed flange is solid flange. The seal maker is elring. They have a large batch go defective seals on circulation.