GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I think I am doing autocross wrong

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Catching up, but figured I would add some thoughts. A personal rule of autocross... car positioning is key, and never get late on anything. If you find yourself late on something, immediately give up that section to get the car back where you need to be. Autocross doesn't have the physical space to correct for being offline, so once you're late, you need to correct it or you'll just pendulum further and further off line until you lose it (like you did), or spin. The sport is all about minimizing mistakes.

It would be better to be slow through the center of that slalom with a good quick exit than the "ARGH...I'm gonna fight it on every. single. cone. after!" dance. Mentally, this can be very hard to do.

Go as fast as possible, while maintaining the line. If you can maintain that mentality, you can generally work up closer and closer to peak speed. If your mentality is go fast!, and the line is an abstract general idea of where you might want to be, that's when you can't figure out if you're under driving or over driving, and you get the guys who consistently have 1 flyer (plus 2 cones) or are 1.5 seconds off the pace.

<-- just getting back into autocross after a decade off, but did pretty well previously (consistently in the trophies at Nats for whatever that's worth)

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG