GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I think I am doing autocross wrong

Oversteermybagel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 2017 GTi Sport
I just hate it when I completely blow up a slalom and accidently turn my car into a harmonic oscillator: it's the worst. Anyone else's non-rabbit edition turn into a real live rabbit from time to time? Or anyone have any good suggestions for dampers to handle that case for when you are deep into the bump stops because everything has gone kangaroo shaped? Anyway, feel free to hop on over to my video and enjoy; video is software stabilized for your enjoyment.

Seriously, has this ever happened to anyone else?

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
once you get behind in a slalom, there's no fighting your way out.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
That's a tight slalom. Going way too fast on entry. Car should be pointed towards the next cone by the time you're beside the current one. I find accelerating when the cone is beside you and then letting off in between the cones to transfer weight forward and get the rear to swing around a bit works best. Don't know if that makes sense. In your situation, a little throttle while turning might have settled the car some at the end to reduce oversteer instead of lifting off.

Disclaimer : I've been to 4 autocrosses so take my advice with a grain of salt

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I just hate it when I completely blow up a slalom and accidently turn my car into a harmonic oscillator: it's the worst. Anyone else's non-rabbit edition turn into a real live rabbit from time to time? Or anyone have any good suggestions for dampers to handle that case for when you are deep into the bump stops because everything has gone kangaroo shaped? Anyway, feel free to hop on over to my video and enjoy; video is software stabilized for your enjoyment.

Seriously, has this ever happened to anyone else?
Yeah, it happens with too much speed and not using weight transfer to settle the rear.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
That's a tight slalom. Going way too fast on entry. Car should be pointed towards the next cone by the time you're beside the current one. I find accelerating when the cone is beside you and then letting off in between the cones to transfer weight forward and get the rear to swing around a bit works best. Don't know if that makes sense. In your situation, a little throttle while turning might have settled the car some at the end to reduce oversteer instead of lifting off.

Disclaimer : I've been to 4 autocrosses so take my advice with a grain of salt
I also thought the same thing. I too f up slaloms. It's like I lack the patience

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I hate slaloms with more than 5 cones, especially w decreasing distances.

Increasing distance slaloms leading to a fast section....:lust:

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Agreed with others - car looks pretty unsettled before you've even turned into the first cone. A dab of brake before that gate (before the slalom) would've set you up tight on that cone and better lined up to enter the slalom at a slower speed