GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

i made a mistake....cut...wires....oops:eek:

vdubguy29

Ready to race!
Alright so I am new to the forums and I finally have my dream car of the past 10 years 2015 PURE WHITE VW GTI S...AND I LOVE IT...so to the issue, I miss read some instructions after reading it for a few times for installing my boost gauge, It was a boost gauge that my brother got me for my birthday it is a pro comp gauge, so its not ecs or apr or new south, so I went to cut the tie wrap around the wires so I could pull them up like the instructions said( I am dumb or something bc after this happened it dawned on me that I messed up and it didn't even pertain to me) I cut 3 wires under the dash and I don't know what they do, Its hard to get to them because they are connected to a panel under the dash, to the upper left of the brake pedal, near the hood pull to release the hood, if I can pull that panel out I can resplice the wires back together. So due to these wires being cut the traction control button doesn't work, the in car lights don't work, and I think that's it...oh and my boost gauge doesn't even work.... bought an ecs gauge tonight, so any help would be awesome guys.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

vdubguy29

Ready to race!
cute wires

this is the wires that were cut, purple, white, an red, maybe the yellow I have to recheck..but not good, I think I messed up bad:mad:

Attachments

• 20151110_180145-1_resized.jpg
    20151110_180145-1_resized.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 1,260

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
Welcome and sorry to hear about your mishap. Pictures or a wiring diagram showing where you cut these wires would help.

Never make a permanent modification without being 100% sure you're doing is right, forums can be a great source for help too. You should not be cutting these wires, but simply tapping into them by using one of three methods; Using a "T-Tap"/Pigtail, removing only the insulation in an area and soldering a wire to it, or use a fuse terminal as a power source (and the make piggy backs for these too).

Make sure when you put them back together you solder them back together Anytime you open the wire insulator you need to us heat shrink wrap too, otherwise the repair will not hold for years to come.

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
this is the wires that were cut, purple, white, an red, maybe the yellow I have to recheck..but not good, I think I messed up bad:mad:

Ouch. Yeah, thats bad... but not irreversible. Read what I wrote above and do the repairs properly. I'm sure you can find some youtube videos to help you too. If you need to, undo the harness and remove the pins to give yourself more space to work with. If this repair is out of your capabilities, cut your losses and take it in to be done by professionals.

vertigo12369

Passed Driver's Ed
So here's how you fix your problem. You need heat shrink, solder, some wire (looks like 18 awg would be fine), wire stripper, and something to cover the interior (solder drops). Remove the trim panel. Cut a small length of wire 3 inches or so. Strip both ends and solder it in between the cut wires. They will probably not have enough length to solder together directly. Make sure you slide the heat shrink on before you solder the wires together. Then shrink out over the bare wire. Bundle harness back up and replace trim.

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
how much do you guys think it would cost to take it to a shop and have it fixed

Depends on the shop and labor rates. Between $100-250 if I had to guess.

ZKK007

Ready to race!
That's part of the Body Control Module. You can remove the connector to make it easier to access. Here is a breakdown to getting the hood release panel off.

Once you have access, you then release the BCM module by pressing a release in the middle then sliding the handle from the top to down. You will have to unplug the footwell lighting if you have that. It's easier to see with the trim removed.

Then repair the wire. Good luck!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

vdubguy29

Ready to race!
ok awesome, the only connectors that I have are the red ones that you stick the wires into each end and crimp the middle, will this be efficient? also my wife doesn't now I fuked up so I have to keep this on the downlow, I don't know how to solder wires so what are my other options? this happened about 5 minutes after she walked by and said "don't mess up" .....really wifey lol

ZKK007

Ready to race!
^To explain the pictures better:

The is a plastic screw behind the hood release that has a plastic cover. Pop the cover off with a flathead scewdriver and then unscrew the screw.
Pull up on the door sill trim. It will pop off and is held on by Christmas tree clips. Make sure you don't lose them. I think there are 4 along the whole sill trim piece.
Remove the trim piece that covers the side of the dash against the door.
You can then remove the trim around the hood release. You don't have to remove the lever itself. Just pull the hood release and wiggle the trim piece around it.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

vdubguy29

Ready to race!
So I just got back from the shop, the certified vw tech said $120, its his own shop he opened up, he's a pretty cool guy, he also does a lot of custom work, VW dealer wanted $128 to run a diagnostic on it just to see what needed fixin and then how ever much it would cost to fix it. So I'm bringing it back up there tomorrow to get it fixed and all will be right in the world. German Precision Auto is the shops name.

ReflexxMK7

Ready to race!
I would have repaired it for 0 dollars if you lived closer. Sucks that it happened, but you could have done a lot worse. Hope you get it all sorted out.

RedHotVAG

Ready to race!
Alright so I am new to the forums and I finally have my dream car of the past 10 years 2015 PURE WHITE VW GTI S...AND I LOVE IT...so to the issue, I miss read some instructions after reading it for a few times for installing my boost gauge, It was a boost gauge that my brother got me for my birthday it is a pro comp gauge, so its not ecs or apr or new south, so I went to cut the tie wrap around the wires so I could pull them up like the instructions said( I am dumb or something bc after this happened it dawned on me that I messed up and it didn't even pertain to me) I cut 3 wires under the dash and I don't know what they do, Its hard to get to them because they are connected to a panel under the dash, to the upper left of the brake pedal, near the hood pull to release the hood, if I can pull that panel out I can resplice the wires back together. So due to these wires being cut the traction control button doesn't work, the in car lights don't work, and I think that's it...oh and my boost gauge doesn't even work.... bought an ecs gauge tonight, so any help would be awesome guys.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Oh shit man... Sorry to hear that. I think time to take it to a professional.