GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I got TD1'd

TheInstallGuy

Passed Driver's Ed
Took my car in for some warranty work. I had a rattle in the plastic overhead bit by the rear view mirror. Protocol dictates they have to scan the vehicle before any warranty work can commence. I knew this and didn't bother trying to revert the tune back to stock. Service adviser called me about 20 minutes later to advise me that my car was flagged and that the warranty work was denied. LOL. We talked for a bit and he said the service manager would call back to discuss. He did call and we went over the details. Further to the rattle in the overhead , the soundaker(spelling) was also rattling. He stated he would fire an email off to VW Canada to get the work approved.

Got a call the next day stating that they replaced the entire Soundaker unit and re insulated the overhead bit. Covered under warranty.

He did say there may be issue sin the future depending on what the issue was, but was willing to work through any issues with me in the future.

Reason for this post................ I had read the sticky post about warranty issues a while ago, even before I purchased my R 3 months ago. I picked a reputable dealer, advised him of what I wanted to do to the vehicle. They are somewhat mod friendly, but more importantly, I didn't go off the handle when they said it was denied, we talked it through and the issue got resolved. I also let the dealer handle some of the scheduled maintenance, not alot, but some, so they can see what shape I keep my car in.

So, I'm in the TD1 club now. Where do I got to get my hat and coffee mug?

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
BMW
Did they just scan and immediately flag/report it? Is that a new protocol?

TheInstallGuy

Passed Driver's Ed
Did they just scan and immediately flag/report it? Is that a new protocol?

They do not have the ability to manually flag it. Once the scan tool reads the TD1 and they submit the logs to get the warranty work approved, the first question they have to answer is is it modded/. At that point they have to tell VW Canada about the TD1 and its flagged on their side.

It doesn't cancel the warranty, but can/does limit it

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
this is why i am waiting to do my recall for the infotainment security.
My dealer has a note on my file btw......Do not flash ECU/TCU. lol
They also said it will be a case by case scenario once i am flagged

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Sorry to hear.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TheInstallGuy

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry to hear.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Sweet! I need that on a t-shirt!

It doesn't really bother me............yet
I knew what I was doing and what I wanted this car to be.
I'm seriously thinking about trying to get my extended warranty money back though :p

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
Btw for warranty work they do not need to scan your vehicle. Maybe if it’s engine related. I had a B pillar replaced and I sat with the tech the whole time talking about the car and not once did they scan it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Sweet! I need that on a t-shirt!

©

I'm seriously thinking about trying to get my extended warranty money back though :p

Lightbulb just went off

Was the extended warranty actually through VWOC, or a separate third party that the dealership works with? If it's 3rd party, they might not be able to know about the TD1. Third party warranties are usually hustles, but funny enough, in this specific scenario it might actually be worth it.

TheInstallGuy

Passed Driver's Ed
©

Lightbulb just went off

Was the extended warranty actually through VWOC, or a separate third party that the dealership works with? If it's 3rd party, they might not be able to know about the TD1. Third party warranties are usually hustles, but funny enough, in this specific scenario it might actually be worth it.

My extended, I believe, is through VWOC. I'll check the details when I get home

Hotfart

Ready to race!
©

Lightbulb just went off

Adding the MBI rider to my Geico policy is what swayed me to sell my JB4 and go with Cobb :)

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
I'd like to join your club! Got my car flagged when I went to get my Haldex looked at. They flagged my car TD1 right quick and charged me 150$ or so dollars. I must say, modding the car is lots of fun! :) VW dealerships here in SoCal aren't the greatest at troubleshooting issues. Luckily there's local private shops that actually know what they're doing!

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
First of all, there is no such thing as flashing back to stock/uninstalling a tune to avoid a warranty issue. Once you're flash tuned, you're toast. Only use a piggyback, and remove it when you need to go to a dealer for warranty work, if you want to retain your factory warranty. Try to drive it for a while before taking it in so the LTFT can be closer to normal.

I never heard of a dealer doing a scan in the U.S. for a rattle, but you DID mention the Soundaktor, which IS on the CAN. So if you mentioned it, a scan would have been necessary.

As for the so-called extended warranty, look on your policy to see who administers it/is the underwriter. Usually, you can get a prorated amount back, minus an administrative fee.

Some third-party "warranties" only cover what the factory warranty would normally cover, and if you're denied by VW, you'll be denied by the third-party too.

Navi

Autocross Champion
First of all, there is no such thing as flashing back to stock/uninstalling a tune to avoid a warranty issue. Once you're flash tuned, you're toast. Only use a piggyback, and remove it when you need to go to a dealer for warranty work, if you want to retain your factory warranty. Try to drive it for a while before taking it in so the LTFT can be closer to normal.

I never heard of a dealer doing a scan in the U.S. for a rattle, but you DID mention the Soundaktor, which IS on the CAN. So if you mentioned it, a scan would have been necessary.

As for the so-called extended warranty, look on your policy to see who administers it/is the underwriter. Usually, you can get a prorated amount back, minus an administrative fee.

Some third-party "warranties" only cover what the factory warranty would normally cover, and if you're denied by VW, you'll be denied by the third-party too.

where have you been?

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
New to this whole world of super integrated electronics, but....

I had a Jeep Liberty CRD with a flashes ECU and TCM. Anytime I needed to take it in for any work, I would physically swap out my ECU and TCM as to not risk things.

Is this a possibility with our cars? Get a second ECU, swap it in, flash it to what you want. Then when it’s time to bring the car in for service or recalls, swap in the factory ecu?