GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hub Centric Ring Fitment

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
So the rings from TireRack that came with my wheels are shit (have had vibrations since I got them, now some of them are breaking into pieces). I purchased these from Amazon and while they fit, it doesn't fit snug with the wheel (it's flush, but not snug enough so it doesn't spin if I move it, whereas the TireRack ones required a light tap with a mallet to fit and didn't move once in).

I read some other responses here in the forum and some people mentioned their rings having the same play and they had no issues. But I can't for the life of me understand how that isn't an issue. I would imagine that slight play would lead to potential vibrations or worse. Can anyone with some knowledge on this chime in? Use these or purchase new ones?

Got these two on my list so far in case I should buy another: option 1 and option 2.

Jimdog

Passed Driver's Ed
I would go with aluminum versus plastic rings but that's just my opinion. A basic Google search (https://www.google.com/search?q=mk7...WFSjABHVQyDDoQ_AUoAXoECAwQAw&biw=1427&bih=809) will provide what you are looking for.
I use my stock wheels for any track work so I don't need the rings. My daily driving habits haven't melted the plastic yet. If i did track with rings on though i would agree that aluminum would probably be the way to go.
Expensive route for me as I don't have a 3D printer lol
You should be able to find someone who can 3d print stuff fairly cheaply. Probably locally even. But if you are tracking then probably go the aluminum route.
I think since most wheels use ball or cone seats having the hub ring fit tight probably isnt a huge concern as long as its close. if you are using wobble bolts then its a priority for sure.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Do you have a stud conversion or a wheel hanger tool to help you while installing?

Hub ring's only job is to center the wheel to remove gravity from the equation when mounting. If there are fractions of a MM worth of gap between the ring you might lock down the wheel with enough offset to get high speed vibrations.

My method has always been to use a wheel hanger at the top bolt hole, thread the other 4 bolts just until they touch the wheel (not tight yet), remove the holder and install the 5th bolt, snug in a star pattern (still not tight), then torque in a star pattern. That should remove any sort of droop from the weight of the wheel on the hub. If you crank down the first bolt you install that could lock in that play.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
I use my stock wheels for any track work so I don't need the rings. My daily driving habits haven't melted the plastic yet. If i did track with rings on though i would agree that aluminum would probably be the way to go.

You should be able to find someone who can 3d print stuff fairly cheaply. Probably locally even. But if you are tracking then probably go the aluminum route.
I think since most wheels use ball or cone seats having the hub ring fit tight probably isnt a huge concern as long as its close. if you are using wobble bolts then its a priority for sure.

I won't be tracking at all. I'll find someone locally to see how much that'd cost, thanks!

Do you have a stud conversion or a wheel hanger tool to help you while installing?

Hub ring's only job is to center the wheel to remove gravity from the equation when mounting. If there are fractions of a MM worth of gap between the ring you might lock down the wheel with enough offset to get high speed vibrations.

My method has always been to use a wheel hanger at the top bolt hole, thread the other 4 bolts just until they touch the wheel (not tight yet), remove the holder and install the 5th bolt, snug in a star pattern (still not tight), then torque in a star pattern. That should remove any sort of droop from the weight of the wheel on the hub. If you crank down the first bolt you install that could lock in that play.

I have a wheel hanger tool. That's really the only job of the ring? Well that takes care of it then. These plastic ones I have should work then. Thanks!

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I have a wheel hanger tool. That's really the only job of the ring? Well that takes care of it then. These plastic ones I have should work then. Thanks!

Yep, hub rings just center the wheel during installation. Once the lugs are torqued there should be no load on the hub ring or vehicle's hub. Plastic works just fine, with the exception of track use where a metal ring would be preferred to avoid any possible issues with rings melting.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
Yep, hub rings just center the wheel during installation. Once the lugs are torqued there should be no load on the hub ring or vehicle's hub. Plastic works just fine, with the exception of track use where a metal ring would be preferred to avoid any possible issues with rings melting.

Not wanting to question you but already doing so...if the rings are there to center them during the installation, it still doesn't make sense why it'd matter for track use since its only for install, no?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Not wanting to question you but already doing so...if the rings are there to center them during the installation, it still doesn't make sense why it'd matter for track use since its only for install, no?
When I said they are only there to center during installation I didn't mean you remove them, they stay installed with the wheel! Sorry if that was confusing.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
When I said they are only there to center during installation I didn't mean you remove them, they stay installed with the wheel! Sorry if that was confusing.

No no, I understood that lol

I meant more as in, if the bolts are in place at that point and securely tightened, even if the ring melted there wouldn't be an issue since its already aligned? Obviously there'd be if I had to remove the wheels again, I'd need to get new ones.

I'm probably looking too into it, maybe I should just shut the fuck up 🤣

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Oh, gotcha haha. No worries.

If the rings melt or worse catch fire, it's just no fun. That's why I only recommend metal rings for the track, so it's one less thing to worry about. That way you can keep your mind on passing old men in Porsches on a Sunday track day drive, or avoid getting run off the road by a pack of Miatas.