GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the rear subframe harmonic damper from the Audi A3 Saloon (2013->)

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
17”?!?!?!!?!?!!

17" ...(") is inches...standard factory fit for a GT spec (Highline).....same tyre width as the 18" rims, so what's the point of having a worse ride just for looks??..17" will fit over the bigger 340mm brakes (I have 312mm)....& most race cars have as deep a sidewall as the tyre is the primary "shock absorber" in the suspension system....

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I had seriously considering changing from 18" to 17" due to cabin noise that I thought might be directly due to the tyres and rims, but since fitting the Balancing Damper there is no point as noise issue no longer an issue.

www.vwgolfmk7problems.uk/contents/en-uk/d5_Rear_Subframe_Damper.html

Ah....you have got around to updating your website with the details of the harmonic damper.....Many thanks!!..(y):cool:

As your website is found easily around the world for the rear shock absorber problems there will be more people finding the info on the harmonic damper. This will confuse VW as to "WTF are we selling loads of these items???".....& I bet the engineers who originally designed it on the MK5 Golf will be able to tell the VW bean counters..."we told you it needed it that's why we designed it FFS"...

Also FYI...just to clarify (info in start of this thread)...the part was originally designed for the MK5 Golf as all MK5/MK6/MK7 rear multilink subframes ( & all other VAG group cars that use it) have those same two pre-drilled holes...Part also has MK5 Golf part code...The part is currently fitted to the current Audi A3 "saloon", & is not fitted to the A3 hatch or other A3 versions...

Last edited:

Olafthegolf

Car(s)
‘17 GTI Autobahn
I ordered mine from a Lambo dealership in Vegas that got it to me in 4 days. Makes a huge difference. I did at first not push it up to the subframe which I think is not as productive? But now I’m all set.

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
Hmm...mines fitted, and TBH i'm not 100% it's made much of a difference, but then weirdly I always thought my GTI was pretty quiet anyway ? To be fair I've only driven about 8 miles since fitting it and all on pretty well tarmac'd surfaces. Maybe I need to go for a longer drive or maybe i'm not listening hard enough, but I've not experienced the "droning" from the rear that others have complained of (maybe my ears aren't what they were) ;). I think i'm in a minority of one.

Still glad it fitted it as any improvement in NVH is always welcome.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hmm...mines fitted, and TBH i'm not 100% it's made much of a difference, but then weirdly I always thought my GTI was pretty quiet anyway ? To be fair I've only driven about 8 miles since fitting it and all on pretty well tarmac'd surfaces. Maybe I need to go for a longer drive or maybe i'm not listening hard enough, but I've not experienced the "droning" from the rear that others have complained of (maybe my ears aren't what they were) ;). I think i'm in a minority of one.

Still glad it fitted it as any improvement in NVH is always welcome.

Rougher roads will do it.....mind you looking at the pictures of your cars very clean underside on the UK forum I think you only drive the car on hot sunny days & perfect smooth roads...:unsure::cool:

npr

Car(s)
Golf GTi mk7.5 man
I have now had the part fitted (correctly). Took it for a drive on country roads and motorways. It is a little better on some surfaces but still way too noisy on other surfaces, a booming resonance from the rear particularly 50-70mph. Thank you for the advice to get this fitted, better than not having it and do think it has made a bit of an improvement.
What would you recommend to try and soundproof/deaden the boot? I am useless at diy so don't want to be removing panels or they'll different squeaks, rattles and noises annoying me. I bought a dodomat mlv, need to get a 2nd as doesn't quite cover the whole area. What else?
Sound deadening felt?
Foam insulation?
Any recommendations(and products/companies in uk)? Should I put anything on the underside of the rear parcel shelf or under the removable car mats?
Thank you

Last edited:

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Do you have room between the spare and trunk floor? You can try a piece of rigid foam insulation between the two.

goinkin

Go Kart Newbie
I don't know why but I think this mod might be have more pronounced effects in the pre face lifted Golfs. Maybe VW skimped on sound deadening in the face lifted cars than the older ones? Just hazarding a guess.

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
I don't know why but I think this mod might be have more pronounced effects in the pre face lifted Golfs. Maybe VW skimped on sound deadening in the face lifted cars than the older ones? Just hazarding a guess.
My original MK7 was without doubt quieter than my current face-lifted model. Whether lighter, thinner metal was used in some areas of the newer model that contributed to more cabin noise I dont know, but certainly sound insulation appeared to be far less on this newer car.

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
Do you have room between the spare and trunk floor? You can try a piece of rigid foam insulation between the two.
I fitted Dynamat all over the trunk floor and over wheel arches, under rera seat and under all 4 wheel arches after removing wheel-arch protectors. I also support my spare wheel on cork pads as the actual rim will otherwise be in contact with the metal of the trunk floor.

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
I think all of us also have a different tolerance to noise. I know many (including the poster above), who states that the Golf is way too noisy, and yet I've owned 3 MK7 Golf's, a 2013 MK7 GTD, a 2016 MK7 GTD and my current 2018 MK7.5 GTI. Out of all of them the GTI is the quietest, and the second GTD and the GTI are both running 19" Alloys (with Pirelli P-Zero tyres). I regularly run without the stereo on at Motorway speeds, and certainly haven't noticed much booming from the rear (mainly a bit of tyre noise and a bit of noise around the mirrors at speed), but overall not too bad. OK it's not a Bentley or anything, but for a mass produced small hatchback, pretty impressive in any case.

Could tyres play a part in this. I know for example back in 2004, I bought a brand new Toyota Avensis T-Spirit with the 17" Alloy wheels (don't judge me ;) ). As standard it came from the factory on Dunlop Sportmaxx tyres and they were truly awful. Great grip and road holding, but horrendous noise (I mean almost embarrassing with passengers in the car). I complained to Toyota UK, and after several visits to the dealers, the tyres were all replaced with Goodyear ones, and the difference was indescribable. Same car, same roads, same wheels, just different tyres and it was like having a completely different car.

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
I have now had the part fitted (correctly). Took it for a drive on country roads and motorways. It is a little better on some surfaces but still way too noisy on other surfaces, a booming resonance from the rear particularly 50-70mph. Thank you for the advice to get this fitted, better than not having it and do think it has made a bit of an improvement.
What would you recommend to try and soundproof/deaden the boot? I am useless at diy so don't want to be removing panels or they'll different squeaks, rattles and noises annoying me. I bought a dodomat mlv, need to get a 2nd as doesn't quite cover the whole area. What else?
Sound deadening felt?
Foam insulation?
Any recommendations(and products/companies in uk)? Should I put anything on the underside of the rear parcel shelf or under the removable car mats?
Thank you
I fitted Dynamat all over the trunk floor and over wheel arches, under rear seat and under all 4 wheel arches after removing wheel-arch protectors. I also support my spare wheel on cork pads as the actual rim will otherwise be in contact with the metal of the trunk floor. Fitting dynamat or similar in the boot area is quite simple as you dont have to remove any panels and you can also fit some over the rear wheel arches to a certain extent. I also fitted the egg-box type foam sound insulation under the removable boot floor and under rear parcel shelf. The rear seat can be removed as it is just clipped into position and this way you can stick Dynamat on that area of exposed metal. What tyres do you currently have fitted?

npr

Car(s)
Golf GTi mk7.5 man
Thanks for all your replies. I bought the car just before lockdown and it has new Michelin PS4 tyres fitted.

Do you have the brand of egg-box type foam sound insulation you purchased, Fuelboss?

Are there guides for removing rear seats and carpeted floor area of the boot?

Thanks again.