GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the rear subframe harmonic damper from the Audi A3 Saloon (2013->)

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Same reason why it was designed originally for the MK5 Golf (PQ35 platform) subframe & has the part designation "1K0" & never fitted...It all depends on the NVH of that particular bodyshell & how it resonates with the subframe. Also is the car a premium brand in VAG & does the buyer expect less NVH....This is why the first car to have it fitted from factory was the MQB Audi A3 saloon.

Cost cutting everywhere....so much so VAG shot itself in the foot over dieselgate & the defeat software...It would have been far cheaper to have fitted all the existing undertrays from the "bluemotion" cars to all the other trim variants as the "collective" lessening of the combined emissions would have got the "group" emissions lower & in real life for the consumer......instead of having to fudge a stupid test....
But if it was all about cost cutting, why did they add underbody aero and additional sound dampening to the mk8? That's what I don't get. Why do all of those things while leaving off this part? Maybe the cost-vs-benefit of different potential NVH reduction strategies led to the decision that adding the damper isn't worth it? That wouldn't surprise me as it's not a major difference.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
But if it was all about cost cutting, why did they add underbody aero and additional sound dampening to the mk8? That's what I don't get. Why do all of those things while leaving off this part? Maybe the cost-vs-benefit of different potential NVH reduction strategies led to the decision that adding the damper isn't worth it? That wouldn't surprise me as it's not a major difference.

Its all due to cost of item-vs-benefit ..as you suggest.......plastic moulded undertrays or cheap stamped alu' covers are easy one piece items to make...the harmonic damper is a cast block of metal with two bushes pressed in & a couple of pin/bolts joined with a stamped/pressed piece of metal...

The more aero that has been added to the newer cars is most certainly because VAG have been following the big thread that I started on retrofitting the undertrays back in March 2015 & castigating VAG for not fitting the existing trays! More underbody aero trays is not only good for NVH, but also fuel economy, car stability, & helps protect the underside from stones etc.....so loads of "benefits"...

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...nder-trays-stone-guards-to-a-mk7-golf.320687/

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
The more aero that has been added to the newer cars is most certainly because VAG have been following the big thread that I started on retrofitting the undertrays back in March 2015 & castigating VAG for not fitting the existing trays! More underbody aero trays is not only good for NVH, but also fuel economy, car stability, & helps protect the underside from stones etc.....so loads of "benefits"...
This is it! But for real, I know they used to peruse the vortex forums, not sure about this forum . . .

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I mean, VW did design the parts and put them in the parts catalogs... presumably they intended to install them at some point. It's good business to design everything up front and then trickle out improvements over time :D.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I mean, VW did design the parts and put them in the parts catalogs... presumably they intended to install them at some point. It's good business to design everything up front and then trickle out improvements over time :D.

That is until somebody like me goes a hunting in the parts catalogue & exposes it!!... ;) :ROFLMAO: