GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the 312mm front brakes to a Mk7 Golf

gar_lei

Car(s)
MK7.5 TSI
Alright I just took a peek and my caliper does indeed have 57 stamped on it!!!
Now its time to find a set of rebuilt calipers or just get the carriers.

ChrisV13

Hi Dave, firstly I hope you do see this so thank you for posting.
This is an upgrade I've wanted to do for a while after not being overly happy with the brake feel. So when I found this post it all made sense.
I bought my Mk7 2014 Golf 2.0 TDI a couple of years ago with an extended warranty so I've been waiting for that to expire before doing any upgrades etc.
I was looking for the calliper carrier brackets and found these on Autodoc. The top part of the picture is what I believe you used. Part 1ZA/1ZD, part numbers 1180 & 1181.
Now I'm wondering if I can get the item in the bottom half of the picture. Theses appear to be the GTi carriers, part 1ZB/1LV.
Plus given what you said about not actually needing a left and right I reckon a pair of these for 70 quid is okay?
One last thing, are these the Brembos that you changed to?

Thanks again for posting what is a very comprehensive tutorial that has probably helped alot of us out.
Yours gratefully Christian

PS. Yes I realize there is literally no rhyme or reason to Autodocs pricing!!

Attachments

• CollageMaker_20211004_152537026.png
    CollageMaker_20211004_152537026.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20210920-214337~2.png
    Screenshot_20210920-214337~2.png
    223.2 KB · Views: 19

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi Dave, firstly I hope you do see this so thank you for posting.
This is an upgrade I've wanted to do for a while after not being overly happy with the brake feel. So when I found this post it all made sense.
I bought my Mk7 2014 Golf 2.0 TDI a couple of years ago with an extended warranty so I've been waiting for that to expire before doing any upgrades etc.
I was looking for the calliper carrier brackets and found these on Autodoc. The top part of the picture is what I believe you used. Part 1ZA/1ZD, part numbers 1180 & 1181.
Now I'm wondering if I can get the item in the bottom half of the picture. Theses appear to be the GTi carriers, part 1ZB/1LV.
Plus given what you said about not actually needing a left and right I reckon a pair of these for 70 quid is okay?
One last thing, are these the Brembos that you changed to?

Thanks again for posting what is a very comprehensive tutorial that has probably helped alot of us out.
Yours gratefully Christian

PS. Yes I realize there is literally no rhyme or reason to Autodocs pricing!!

All MK7/7.5mm 312mm front brakes are the same, they just get painted blue (GTE), red (GTI), or grey (GTD)......so yes cheap red GTI 312mm carriers will work.

And YES as I found out to my expense the carriers (metal moulding) are the same left or right....the only reason they have a different part number is that when pre assembled, the carriers are different, with one carrier having the pins inserted the other way around & the other carrier the reverse....so just buy two of the cheapest 312mm carriers & reverse the pins on one carrier!

Brembo Max grooved...(as per your photo) are the ones I'm currently running...like them, not stupid expense & well made with tight tolerances & good base metal...

& many of the prices on the web are really stupid....I think its random (pin the tail on donkey) pricing!

ChrisV13

All MK7/7.5mm 312mm front brakes are the same, they just get painted blue (GTE), red (GTI), or grey (GTD)......so yes cheap red GTI 312mm carriers will work.

And YES as I found out to my expense the carriers (metal moulding) are the same left or right....the only reason they have a different part number is that when pre assembled, the carriers are different, with one carrier having the pins inserted the other way around & the other carrier the reverse....so just buy two of the cheapest 312mm carriers & reverse the pins on one carrier!

Brembo Max grooved...(as per your photo) are the ones I'm currently running...like them, not stupid expense & well made with tight tolerances & good base metal...

& many of the prices on the web are really stupid....I think its random (pin the tail on donkey) pricing!
Excellent, thanks for the reply Dave much appreciated. Can't wait to get this mod done 👍