GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the 312mm front brakes to a Mk7 Golf

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
Thanks I couldn't find reliable info on ATE Power discs. Do you know the weight for the 288mm disc from ATE ?

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I know, the lightest I've found at reasonable prices are from Brembo, at 7.3 kg for 288mm and 8.6 kg for 312 mm discs. ATE Powerdisc seem to be close as well.
I think I weighed my oe 288 around 16 lb, close to Brembo, on a bathroom scale. I've searched and searched for alum hat 288 5x112 but no luck so far

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks I couldn't find reliable info on ATE Power discs. Do you know the weight for the 288mm disc from ATE ?

Still can't find any..I actually weighed that ATE disc I had....got messed up due to the grease on the caliper slide ears totally seizing the calipers & ruined the discs/pads....I just found the Brembo stuff easier to get...

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Got to say/simple update post.......

I've had the 312s on now for over a year. I run the Stoptech Sport slotted rotors f/r with EBC Yellowstuff pads, Motul RBF600 fluid, RS3 brake ducts (modified), as well as Neuspeed ss brake lines. I've beaten on it as a daily, hooning in the mountains, and for a few days on the track at VIR. This combo works great. I still think for the heavier awd wagons that the R-size 340s up front is the way to go for max heat dissipation and I likely at some point will do the shopdap TTS setup up front.

Waltari

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
If anyone is interested, I've got 312mm rotors, stock lines, shields, and calipers from my 2015 GTI that need a home. Happy to make someone a good deal if they're interesting in upgrading.

gar_lei

Car(s)
MK7.5 TSI
Hello

im from Canada with a 2018 TSI 1.8T and my brakes started to squeal and not braking well recently so Im planning to change the rotors and pads and I came across this interesting upgrade!

It looks like to best way to know whether i have the right caliper pistons is by looking at it physically, I will do that this week.

I saw that 15” wheels should still fit without issues, now how about Spare tire for emergency?

the carrier are 150$ cad each over here and I found some Centric rebuilt GTI calipers for about 170$ each. Anyone know the quality of thise rebuilt? If theyre reliable I would pick those up and only use the carriers. At least ill have spare Calipers laying around.

thanks in advance!!

Elwood

3-7-77
Here is a shot of my 2017 Golf Tsi 1.8T with 16" wheels and 312mm rotors off a GTI. I just barely cleared the calipers. I think even VW says the GTI can't have anything smaller than 16" wheels to clear the standard brakes.

IMG_0823.jpeg

gar_lei

Car(s)
MK7.5 TSI
Thanks for the reply
Right I meant 16” and i have the same wheels, i use them fir Winter and have another set of 16s Replika for Summer.

now… I suppose the spare tire is not 16? Might have to double check….

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I think the spare in my Golf is 16" but I might not remember that correctly. If you have a flat up front you could put the spare in the back where you have smaller brakes and put your good rear wheel in the front. It's extra work but that's my preference anyway since the fronts are drive wheels.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
16inch rim is the smallest a 312mm brake disc will take..& remember your caliper needs to have 57 stamped on it to properly work...on the 312mm discs

gar_lei

Car(s)
MK7.5 TSI
How is the braking performance with 312mm?

right now i feel like my brakes are barely braking until im past 50% pressed and then it start hitting a bit more.
Part of the issue is worn brakes i believe and maybe some with 288mm?

it has 43K km on them

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
way better had 288mm from the factory & they were rubbish from day one even though they were in full working order with new pads & discs..