GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Ok, ordered the rear LCA aero cover kit from NGP - 2 covers + 4 plastic push rivets....about $50 delivered. I know I know...e-acca but I didn't feel like waiting and I like to toss some money this time of the year to the shops/vendors I like and NGP is one of them. Total install time. 1 min. hahaha Can't see needing anything beyond the push rivets, they are v. snug and secure.

VW spec them so that there is no chance of you ripping them off if you reverse over a rock/branch....etc...remember the fixings specs were originally made for the MK5 Golf onwards "stone protection" rubber covers which I originally retro fitted...VW just kept the same fixing for the MK8 Golf aero covers....

...but as I say in that how to guide...plenty of people have tracked their cars etc & had no problems with just the push rivets when used on the MK8 aero covers..

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
VW spec them so that there is no chance of you ripping them off if you reverse over a rock/branch....etc...remember the fixings specs where originally made for the MK% Golf onwards "stone protection" rubber covers which I originally retro fitted...VW just kept the same fixing for the MK8 Golf aero covers....

...but as I say in that how to guide...plenty of people have tracked their cars etc & had no problems with just the push rivets when used on the MK8 aero covers..
Yes, they basically clip on by themselves so should be good. I'll be testing at 140mph in a few weeks on the track and let you know.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Short tunnel cover installed on my 2018 Golf Sportwagen w/4Motion and Tyrolsport deadset kit. I had to modify the cover as shown using a Dremel and abrasion disc to so that it would sit flush b/c of the deadset kit brakets that aren't stamped with recessed portions for the tray to fit in with the push rivets. I used zip ties to hold the front to the brakets - easy. Ordered from my local VW dealer using vw.parts.com and I bought a 1/2 dozen of the T30 screws b/c you always need them. Golfdave, I hope these annotated pictures meet your high standards :ROFLMAO:

https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen__/Floor-Pan-Splash-Shield-Front/53763773/5Q0825230J.html
https://parts.vw.com/p/volkswagen__/Bolt-Screw-Shield-Cover-Panel/48724308/N90974701.html

With the 3" Unitronic DP I don't think the full-length shield would work even with the modifications listed in the OP(s) as the mid-pipe is below the level that the full-length shield attaches.

As always, props to golfdave for all this great info!

20221126_174948.jpg
Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG

Last edited:

Undutched

Car(s)
Seat Leon Cupra R ST
Dear Dave,

according to you, you didn't recommend using the metal one as its not a 100% fit ;), so I opted for the short version, as I have both: GPF and AWD.
I'll report back in a few weeks, see what difference the mods made, as I do appreciate the effort you put into putting the information together, I'll try and remember to check fuel consumption.

prices incl. 19% VAT

Short Cover 5Q0 825 230 J - (x1) 23,49 €
N 038 549 4 - (x2) 0,58 €
N909 747 01 (x2) 1,60 €
Air Blade 5WA 407 118 (x1) 3,71 €
Air Blade 5WA 407 117 (x1) 3,71 €
8E0 825 267 (x4) 1,04 €

As update:

With both use of winter and summer tires for the past 6 months I can state that fuel consumption went from 8.6l/100km (27.37 US mpg) to 7.9l/100km (29.77 US mpg).
Thus it was well worth the small investment on the Cupra R ST.
I also need to note that several thousand km were driven using a roofbox.
IMG_1498.jpg

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
As update:

With both use of winter and summer tires for the past 6 months I can state that fuel consumption went from 8.6l/100km (27.37 US mpg) to 7.9l/100km (29.77 US mpg).
Thus it was well worth the small investment on the Cupra R ST.
I also need to note that several thousand km were driven using a roofbox.

VAG do not design & make parts for fun.

There must be a mechanical/aero/safety/country legislation/etc. reason that it was deemed necessary to design that part in the first place. Usually VAG will remove parts or not fit them (eg the harmonic damper designed way back for the MK5 Golf in 2003 & first fitted on the 2013 Audi A3 saloon), for cheapness to cut costs.

Glad you proved to yourself that it has made a positive difference to your fuel consumption!.. ;) (y)

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I've installed the full under-motor shield, the front exhaust tunnel shield, the shield in front of the rear wheel, and the rear axle cover (sorry if I don't recall the proper names of each), and while I can say without a doubt that they've helped cut down on road noise, I haven't noticed much if any at all improvement to fuel efficiency. The single biggest improvement to fuel efficiency for me is switching to 195/65R15 winter tires from 225/45R17 summers (negligible change in tire circumference of 0.6mm, 0.03% speedometer error). Each year I do this my efficiency jumps from 37 to 41 mpg(US). (6.36l/100km to 5.74l/100km). (1.8TSI motor). That's about 10% difference. But I don't think the underbody panels do much at all. The best efficiency I got before adding any of the panels was 41 mpg. Now after installing all of them, my best is still around 41 mpg. Again, the car is noticeably quieter, but that's it.

Also I've noticed that having a rooftop box only seems to reduce my efficiency by about 1 mpg, max. Much less of a hit than I'd expect. I've measured this on the same ~500 mile trips with and without the box. My box mounts directly on top of Whispbar aero bars using T-slot bolts, so no exposed brackets and very little space between the roof and the box, maybe that makes a difference. My conclusion is that the tire cross-sectional area accounts for the biggest difference in efficiency over all other aero mods.

As they say, your mileage may vary! 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

(R)Rated

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Got the last piece of the puzzle installed today. I had to trim it to fit with my rear difusser.

Attachments

• 325689948_484537847192419_9036625755198673307_n.jpg
    325689948_484537847192419_9036625755198673307_n.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 168

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Thanks @golfdave for creating and maintaining this thread, as well as all the others for contributing. I went through the first page and the 2022 posts as I want to make my NAR 2018 GTI more quiet, aerodynamic, and handle better. Got a few questions for two of the trays:
  1. For Part 1 on page 1: Would you recommend installing this full length engine skid tray (3Q0 825 902) if I'm going to be lowered on Bilstein coilovers, Whiteline front sway bar, and Whiteline Front Roll Centre/Camber Correction Kit? I'll be running the highest height possible but I did notice you saying that ground clearance would be reduced. I understand it might be a hassle to install due to the RS3 brake ducts? Heat soak was mentioned as well? I do recall seeing oil temps above 125C. Maybe 130C.
  2. For Part 4 on page 1: Has anyone tried the MK8 (5WA-501-713) part? Or should I stick with the MK5 cover? I have SuperPro rear sway bar and endlinks installed and will be installing Bilstein coilovers so I'm not sure if that will affect the fitment. Also have MK8 rear suspension aero covers as well.
  3. Does the front LCA aero covers fit with the suspension mods as mentioned above?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks @golfdave for creating and maintaining this thread, as well as all the others for contributing. I went through the first page and the 2022 posts as I want to make my NAR 2018 GTI more quiet, aerodynamic, and handle better. Got a few questions for two of the trays:
  1. For Part 1 on page 1: Would you recommend installing this full length engine skid tray (3Q0 825 902) if I'm going to be lowered on Bilstein coilovers, Whiteline front sway bar, and Whiteline Front Roll Centre/Camber Correction Kit? I'll be running the highest height possible but I did notice you saying that ground clearance would be reduced. I understand it might be a hassle to install due to the RS3 brake ducts? Heat soak was mentioned as well? I do recall seeing oil temps above 125C. Maybe 130C.
  2. For Part 4 on page 1: Has anyone tried the MK8 (5WA-501-713) part? Or should I stick with the MK5 cover? I have SuperPro rear sway bar and endlinks installed and will be installing Bilstein coilovers so I'm not sure if that will affect the fitment. Also have MK8 rear suspension aero covers as well.
  3. Does the front LCA aero covers fit with the suspension mods as mentioned above?

Ground clearance is reduced by 1 inch max....& depends on where you measure from...If you're runing aftermarket coil overs they are usually a minimum of -30mm...which is -15mm lower than factory GT/GTI?R etc (approx.)..I would run the reinforced skid tray to protect the engine sump..if the tray gets scratched thats its job !

Some have used the MK8 rear axle short cover, however there appeared to be more trim to remove due to the way the MK8 fueltank is & the trim is moulded to match it.....it appears the MK5 short cover on the MK7 fits better with less trimming...However if you can get the MK8 trim very cheap get that & trim to fit..??!!

Last edited:

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Ground clearance is reduced by 1 inch max....& depends on where you measure from...If you're runing aftermarket coil overs they are usually a minimum of -30mm...which is -15mm lower than factory GT/GTI?R etc (approx.)..I would run the reinforced skid tray to protect the engine sump..if the tray gets scratched thats its job !

Some have used the MK8 rear axle short cover, however there appeared to be more trim to remove due to the way the MK8 fueltank is & the trim is moulded to match it.....it appears the MK5 short cover on the MK7 fits better with less trimming...However if you can get the MK8 trim very cheap get that & trim to fit..??!!
Thanks for the info. I heard some people said the reinforced skid tray caused overheating issues at the track though. I guess I have no choice but to upgrade the radiator, but a radiator doesn't fit in my engine bay because the MAGIC intercooler is too bigo_O

Btw check your dealer before ordering parts from E-Acca. For some of the parts, the dealer is cheaper than E-Acca after factoring in conversion and probably shipping.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks for the info. I heard some people said the reinforced skid tray caused overheating issues at the track though.

Get the one that I fitted which has the NACA duct slot for the DSG gearbox....Only overheating I've heard of is when somebody makes a 100% cover for the exhaust tunnel when the OEM only covers the front section of the tunnel to allow for cooling of the rest of the exhaust...If you're that worried get the heavily vented GTE (Hybrid) thin areo cover for the engine bay...

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Get the one that I fitted which has the NACA duct slot for the DSG gearbox....Only overheating I've heard of is when somebody makes a 100% cover for the exhaust tunnel when the OEM only covers the front section of the tunnel to allow for cooling of the rest of the exhaust...If you're that worried get the heavily vented GTE (Hybrid) thin areo cover for the engine bay...
Can confirm full-length vented Jetta splash shield I run does not cause overheating at track.

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
2016 NAR GTI.

Initially ordered 5Q0825206C. e-acca wants to send M, said to be newest version. Based on this thread, M is not correct. K is the one I want since it replaces the C version. Wanting to confirm this is correct? Anyone fit the K on a NAR GTI and can confirm fitment?

Last edited:

shotser

Car(s)
Mk 7 Estate Lounge
Firstly thanks to all who have contributed to this gold mine of information but especially to golfdave.

I spent the day under my 2016 1.2 tsi estate. I am in Ireland and if you wanted petrol that was your only estate option (besides the R). I fitted the jackpads and all the aero pieces from this thread (besides the engine cover, I'm waiting to get a good price on one). Font exhaust cover was simple just as written on page 1, rear exhaust cover was also simple with the my torsion bar suspension, just as detailed on page 1.

I installed the aero trim for the torsion bar (5WA501715B) which just clips in place and fits nicely with the lower control arm covers. Similarly to Chillout they wouldn't fit and had to be modified (see pic - I did clean them up a little more than the picture so that they sat flush). I recently was in getting my rear springs replaced as they were snapped and requested part 5Q0525691B be fitted but was told that wasn't a VW part and they couldn't do it (see page 55 for golfdave's and Chillout's discussion on this). All in all once modified I snapped them into place and secured it with one push rivet (N0385494) and a zip tie per side.

5Q501559J.jpg

modified.jpg

I also installed a rear exhaust cover (5G9825205E). I have only one pipe and this fitted easily with two hex collar nuts (WHT 000713) to the threads already in situ and with 4 panel bolts and speed nuts/clips (N90974701 & N90959101). Now both sides at the back are nicely covered. See picture attached.
5g9825205E.jpg

I also ordered the front control arm covers (5WA407118/7) but unfortunately they did not align with my control arms (5Q0407152J). I might revisit them and drill holes, but we will see. If anyone knows the correct ones for my control arms do let me know. They were only about €4 each so no great loss. If anyone in Ireland would like them let me know.

Total cost was less then €250 and I ordered all the nuts and screws when most of them came attached to the panels.

Next on the agenda is to retrofit the OEM swivel towbar.