GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit a bigger capacity battery to a Mk7 Golf

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
What electrics do you have??..heated seats, heated front windscreen, dynaudio, sat nav, dual zone air con?...
Yes all of that (except heated windscreen). I have a 2016 Autobahn with every option except for the driver assist stuff. All stock (nothing added like extra stereo stuff or any cameras).

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Yes all of that (except heated windscreen). I have a 2016 Autobahn with every option except for the driver assist stuff. All stock (nothing added like extra stereo stuff or any cameras).

f**k it & go biggest.....as its a 56 to 70Ah jump instead of a 56 to 60Ah.....I use this rating as that's the amount of current that can be drawn in 1hr...with the engine off from a fully charged battery......which at 12v nominal is 70x12 =840watts......

hooville

Go Kart Newbie
Binary AGM is what I chose for mine...& its fine almost 5yrs on...

Thanks for the reply, it's the wife's car and I'm proud of her for noticing that her baby was getting "crankier" in the morning! A relaxing proactive job instead of the usual roadside nightmare!

Roadhog

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
19' R
My 19' R came with a 69AH battery.
6R0 915 105 B

Just a cheap EFB battery.

Josh64

Ready to race!
I just replaced my 5 year old original equipment battery with a larger one for the colder weather here in Canada. Saw this thread and that they make the larger cover, so I asked the parts department at my dealership... They wanted $105 for it!

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I just replaced my 5 year old original equipment battery with a larger one for the colder weather here in Canada. Saw this thread and that they make the larger cover, so I asked the parts department at my dealership... They wanted $105 for it!

I recon they quoted you the wrong part...

ertanv24

Car(s)
Golf 7 GTi Clubsport
So the serial on BEM codes are actually useless and no harms to the car or battery by just changing a digit in the Serial?

Because as I have been told, that if you don't use the proper BEM code details on the Gateway, the battery wont charge over 50% and that will kill the battery slowly.
But if that's not up to the Serial no., then someone lied to me

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
So the serial on BEM codes are actually useless and no harms to the car or battery by just changing a digit in the Serial?

Because as I have been told, that if you don't use the proper BEM code details on the Gateway, the battery wont charge over 50% and that will kill the battery slowly.
But if that's not up to the Serial no., then someone lied to me

BEM codes are old programming
BEM codes are not needed for Mk7 Golf as the software programming is newer & different in the control modules...
BEM codes stated the type, capacity, maker, & number in one line of digits/letters..

The Mk7 Golf has a separate line for every value...so one line for type, another line for capacity...etc.

If the battery you a are installing is the same capacity & type as what was factory fit then all you need to do is change the serial number line by one digit..this tells the control module that a new battery has been installed & thus "forget the previous learned values" for the battery.

ertanv24

Car(s)
Golf 7 GTi Clubsport
BEM codes are old programming
BEM codes are not needed for Mk7 Golf as the software programming is newer & different in the control modules...
BEM codes stated the type, capacity, maker, & number in one line of digits/letters..

The Mk7 Golf has a separate line for every value...so one line for type, another line for capacity...etc.

If the battery you a are installing is the same capacity & type as what was factory fit then all you need to do is change the serial number line by one digit..this tells the control module that a new battery has been installed & thus "forget the previous learned values" for the battery.

Well. Confirmed then. VW in Denmark lied. So I could buy a better and cheaper VARTA instead of their original.

BTW. I had the same little battery in my old G7. Same specs as yours - almost.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Well. Confirmed then. VW in Denmark lied. So I could buy a better and cheaper VARTA instead of their original.

BTW. I had the same little battery in my old G7. Same specs as yours - almost.

Yes....so long as you buy EFB or AGM types....

Lee#144

Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Apologies for bumping an old thread. I just replaced the battery in my daughters 17 Golf R and upon firing it up for the first time it triggered a bunch of warning lights. I did not reprogram anything as I don’t have the capability currently. After driving the car for a short trip the lights are gone. Do I still need to take the car to VW to have them program the new battery?

ertanv24

Car(s)
Golf 7 GTi Clubsport
Apologies for bumping an old thread. I just replaced the battery in my daughters 17 Golf R and upon firing it up for the first time it triggered a bunch of warning lights. I did not reprogram anything as I don’t have the capability currently. After driving the car for a short trip the lights are gone. Do I still need to take the car to VW to have them program the new battery?

Don't worry about the lights unless they stay on after you have been out for a ride.

You need to code the battery after a replacement, but it's something you can do yourself if you have a VCDS or similiar.

Otherwise, if the battery isn't from VW with the BEM Code sticker on it, I guess VW won't help you.

Read comment #114.

01LSi

Passed Driver's Ed
I keyword searched for clamp and plate and couldn't find anything. My car comes with the larger battery from factory but

How on earth are you guys fitting in the clamping plate that holds the battery in ??? I've removed my battery and all I'm trying to do is get it back in. I can slide the battery in fine but I can't get the plate in after it and I'm starting to lose my mind